Police Officers Shot in Dallas #2

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/dallas-officers-shot-protests-1.3669873

At first I was sad and shaking my head. As a Canadian maybe I don't understand it. But maybe this is the American way (this is assuming the shooters were black). This is exactly why the 2nd Amendment was created:

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

The state has come after the lives of black people since the founding of the nation (and prior). Maybe they're fighting back in this case, against murder by their own government, and defending themselves as is their right. Read the Declaration of Independence, and it speaks of this. The American Revolution wasn't fought with pillows:

"But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security."

Martin Luther King Jr. tried the way of peaceful protest and civil disobedience. Then he was shot. Then blacks were enslaved again through conscription into the Vietnam War and sent to be shot on the front lines. RFK sided with their cause, and he was shot. Lincoln helped free the slaves, then he was shot. Malcolm X? Shot. Then black people started shooting each other, and police came to stop them...by shooting ones who were doing nothing wrong.

This was started by a gun. Will it need to be ended by a gun? Or was MLK on the right track?

Edited by Moonlight Graham

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, MLK was on the right track. Violence never solves anything. The American Revolution is nothing to be proud of, the building of a nation is. WWII is nothing to be proud of, the rebuilding of Europe and Japan after the war is - that is what built long term peace. The second amendment needs to be repealed, it is the most idiotic piece of legislation ever.

I think there is never an excuse for hurting a member of an identifiable group in retaliation for what other members of that group have done.

I think of the families of those cops shot and I feel terrible for them. For all we know they were the most unracist people who truly cared for black communities.

But then I wonder - why should their lives matter any more than the murder victims in the hands of the police?

Is a broken tail light any worse than wearing a uniform?

Absolutely zero difference in my opinion.

I think of the families of those cops shot and I feel terrible for them. For all we know they were the most unracist people who truly cared for black communities.

But then I wonder - why should their lives matter any more than the murder victims in the hands of the police?

Is a broken tail light any worse than wearing a uniform?

Absolutely zero difference in my opinion.

I'm not sure I get your drift. Are you saying there is some justification for taking revenge on innocent members of a group when other members of a group might be guilty?

If so, I disagree.

I'm not sure I get your drift. Are you saying there is some justification for taking revenge on innocent members of a group when other members of a group might be guilty?

If so, I disagree.

No, I'm saying the two are 100% equal to me. It means I think the cops were just as much 'murderers' for killing over a tail light as the 'snipers' were for killing someone over a uniform.

No, I'm saying the two are 100% equal to me. It means I think the cops were just as much 'murderers' for killing over a tail light as the 'snipers' were for killing someone over a uniform.

Ah, okay. I'm sorry I misunderstood.

Awww, didn't the black people have families to go to? Will they not be missed? Why is their lives being senselessly lost any different than the police who lost their lives senselessly?

Why are they? Who says they are?

Why are they? Who says they are?

I wasn't saying you. Just a general attitude downplaying the murder of innocent people. Somehow there is a hierarchy where shooting black people - very bad. Shooting cops out of retaliation - worse.

That I don't agree with you and again, I'm not saying you do.

It's not about the members.

It's about the group mentality.

No, I don't agree with that either. You can't kill people because they might have a mentality.

You might as well say it's okay to kill a black driver or CD salesman because they might be up to no good.

Ya no doubt. :/

From whats in the media, it sounds like a rather well planned attack (body armor, a ton of ammo, tactical shooting, getaway car etc).......seems a little too quick to be a response to the shooting of the black guy with a broken tail light in Minnesota last night.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/four-officers-killed-10-shot-near-dallas-protest-against-police-violence/

A suspect in the shootings was later apprehended, the Dallas Police Department said early Friday, and officers are engaged in a standoff and traded gunfire with a second suspect inside a downtown parking garage.

... three suspects were in custody, including one woman. Police are currently negotiating with a fourth suspect in the garage.

Edited by jacee

From whats in the media, it sounds like a rather well planned attack (body armor, a ton of ammo, tactical shooting, getaway car etc).......seems a little too quick to be a response to the shooting of the black guy with a broken tail light in Minnesota last night.

Military trained, no doubt.

No, I don't agree with that either. You can't kill people because they might have a mentality.

You might as well say it's okay to kill a black driver or CD salesman because they might be up to no good.

Oh I'm not in favour of killing in either situation.

However, this is about police mentality.