World cup of hockey

I wonder what the TV ratings are for the WCH in Canada?

And how is Rogers going to do in this and coming years? They have staked a massive amount of money on owning NHL rights, and in promoting events like the WCH. It was very interesting to see the expensive ads during the WCH that has stars telling us to watch them play in the WCH, then play in the NHL. It was rumoured that Rogers lost a bundle of dough last year despite a full court press on broadcasting the NHL, can they sustain that for several more years?

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder what the TV ratings are for the WCH in Canada?

And how is Rogers going to do in this and coming years? They have staked a massive amount of money on owning NHL rights, and in promoting events like the WCH. It was very interesting to see the expensive ads during the WCH that has stars telling us to watch them play in the WCH, then play in the NHL. It was rumoured that Rogers lost a bundle of dough last year despite a full court press on broadcasting the NHL, can they sustain that for several more years?

You know the main reason for that? Well one of the reasons, another could be Strombo is awful. But a bad Leafs is bad for Rogers and Canadian TV Ratings.

Good Ratings in Canada however. They are in direct competition with the Jays though.

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/eh-game/the-great-canadian-ratings-report--195735580.html

As someone that's completely opposed to how this tournament was assembled, I'll concede the end of the game yesterday was rather exciting.

There was nothing wrong with the hockey, per se... these are the best players in the world... The format of the entire tournament made the tournament irrelevant and not really worth following.

To Canada hockey is like baseball is to the USA; there just isn't international competition. There are barely 4-5 decent international teams in hockey. How many decent international teams are there in baseball?

To Canada hockey is like baseball is to the USA; there just isn't international competition. There are barely 4-5 decent international teams in hockey. How many decent international teams are there in baseball?

The Dominican Republic, Cuba and Japan can all field competitive teams to the USA I'm baseball. The Dominicans won the last World Baseball Classic.

The more apt comparison would be Basketball in the USA.

The Dominican Republic, Cuba and Japan can all field competitive teams to the USA in baseball. The Dominicans won the last World Baseball Classic.

The more apt comparison would be Basketball in the USA.

Edited by Boges

There was nothing wrong with the hockey, per se... these are the best players in the world... The format of the entire tournament made the tournament irrelevant and not really worth following.

I didn't watch it because I thought it was just a made up contest by Betman to add revenue to a bottom line somewhere. That and any tournament before pre season will not field players in mid season form. But I should have watched it if Strombo wasn't involved.

Perhaps it's a good sign for the sport that a combination-team of the countries which themselves weren't good enough to have a team of their own in the competition is so strong that it had such a good tournament.

I personally detest all these kind of team Europe-things as that is just what the EU would love to have.

I like the idea of Team Europe and Team NA. In Europe they collected the top players from 8ish countries that don't have strong enough national teams. What's wrong with that?

Team NA was a collection of the speedy, young guns and was arguably the most fun to watch. Both teams were great additions if you like watching hockey.

I didn't watch it because I thought it was just a made up contest by Betman to add revenue to a bottom line somewhere. That and any tournament before pre season will not field players in mid season form. But I should have watched it if Strombo wasn't involved.

I don't think the money matters so much for this tournament. This was a preemptive PR strike, a means of showing the IIHF and the IOC that they are not the big dog or the only show in town, and that the NHL and NHLPA can create major around the game buzz on their own . And in that, it succeeded. It was successful enough that not going to the next Olympics is now a viable option and very likely. And the IOC knows that a winter Olympics without mens hockey is much diminshed, and one thing the IOC does not need not is more crap on their already full plate of crap.

As much as everybody hates Bettman, he has kept his job for so long because he has made money for most owners.

Why do you find it amazing? I didn't.

Because they're a collection of players from countries like Slovakia, Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland-- countries that are nobodies in the international hockey community. And they had never played as a team before. Nobody gave them a chance. Everybody thought the idea was a joke.

It would have been easy for them to treat it like a joke. Instead, they bonded together and built a team identity, and defeated powerhouses like USA, Sweden, and the Czechs. They were the only team that gave Canada a serious challenge. For these players, "Team Europe" was probably their only chance to win an international tournament, because none of these countries will ever field a winning team in the Olympics. But for just a couple of weeks, they got to be contenders. It's kind of like a real-life version of The Replacements.

-k

Because they're a collection of players from countries like Slovakia, Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland-- countries that are nobodies in the international hockey community. And they had never played as a team before. Nobody gave them a chance. Everybody thought the idea was a joke.

It would have been easy for them to treat it like a joke. Instead, they bonded together and built a team identity, and defeated powerhouses like USA, Sweden, and the Czechs. They were the only team that gave Canada a serious challenge. For these players, "Team Europe" was probably their only chance to win an international tournament, because none of these countries will ever field a winning team in the Olympics. But for just a couple of weeks, they got to be contenders. It's kind of like a real-life version of The Replacements.

-k

Anze Kopitar, Zdeno Chara are not replacements. No one, including the players really cared about this tournament.

Anze Kopitar, Zdeno Chara are not replacements. No one, including the players really cared about this tournament.

In reality, the NHL Players Association was one of two sponsors.

And the players played hard, very hard.

Anze Kopitar is a fine player. Chara used to be one. Hossa used to be great, now he is useful.

Kimmy is right. Team Europe was a major surprise.

Maybe in four years time we will think differently but if one had to decide now I would say bin this whole competition. It's never going to take root.

They been running it since 1976. This was the first time that it didn't really get TV ratings. Not coincidentally, at the same time that NHL TV ratings are cratering in Canada anyway due to the laughably bad Rogers broadcasts.

Because they're a collection of players from countries like Slovakia, Germany, Denmark, Norway, and Switzerland

All really strong teams that have given Canada multiple scares over the years. The Swiss even beat Canada a few Olympics back.

In a one game showdown, any of those teams could have won any game. International hockey has become boring. 1980...now that was amazing. A team of professionals assembled for a short tournament should amaze no one, except those who don't understand the game.

Thanks man, I had no idea I was so stupid until you pointed it out.

Well, now you know whyTeam Europe's success was nothing amazing. Move on, lad.

Yeah they were just the longest odds of the tournament at 33-1 and got their back-ends handed to them by the North American Young Guns in the Pre-Tournament.

But You!!!! You were the one that knew they'd make the final. I trust you bet on them handsomely.