Supply Management in the Dairy sector

Maxime Bernier has changed his tune on supply management, saying it is in conflict with the principals of free markets that the Conservative party support. He represents a rural riding in Quebec, and has vigorously defended supply management in the past. Now that he is a leadership candidate for the party he is rethinking his position.

I agree this is an important topic that should be discussed, both in Parliament and here (where opinions may not count, but often are well considered). Some of the issues we should look at are:

1. The Australian model, they moved off of supply management. Has it worked? Is their model right for Canada (being right next to the major US producers)?

2. What about food labeling? My position is that if we import dairy, then it should be clearly labeled if they contain growth hormones or antibiotics, etc. Perhaps something similar to the labels on cigarette cartons.

3. What about the quota's that farmers currently have? Should they be compensated? Is this a similar issue to TAXI's and their plates?

Supply Management's only purpose is political, and in this case designed to ensure the political party in power doesn't see angry opposition, demonstrations and protests from the Quebec dairy industry.

http://news.nationalpost.com/full-comment/john-ivison-tory-leadership-candidate-maxime-bernier-no-longer-a-lightweight

Edited by Argus

It will boil down to how many seats won or lost to keep or reject the supply management system in dairy, eggs and poultry. The biggest losers are in Quebec and Ontario, but I don't see loads of Liberal seats at risk in rural parts of either. Quite possible that the Libs will pre-empt Bernier and dump it.

It costs Canadian consumers something like $2.5 billion extra per year. It is also possible that dumping supply management will mean that our markets are flooded with much cheaper product from the USA.

So the question is, do Canadians support their own or buy imports and which matters price or quality? I'd buy Canadian first.

That is a bit of a false dichotomy. The choice is not between overpriced , quota driven local products and not buying Canadian. There are lots of Canadian farmers that would be delighted to compete for the CDN market. They simply do not have that option now.

• 1 month later...

So the question is, do Canadians support their own or buy imports and which matters price or quality? I'd buy Canadian first.

Canadian first? Fer gawdsakes, why?

Do you make your own clothes? Do you make your own telephone?

======

Ordinary Canadians - heck, ordinary people around the world - are better off because they can buy inexpensive blouses and can now phone/talk to their friends with an easy.

Who would want to return to the 1968 world of payphones and nylon shirts that cost 38$? I'm certain that even people in China and Vietnam would not want such a world.

Heck, who would want to return to a 1758 world without penicillin, Mozart and Adam Smith?

It costs Canadian consumers something like $2.5 billion extra per year.

Any supporting facts for your argument? Are you comparing Canada to the US? Is it the same product, or is the US milk loaded with growth hormones? Have you looked at Australia & New Zealand? Australia has a wider price range than Canada, but on average is 10% cheaper, New Zealand is about 10% more expensive, the US is about 30% cheaper. Net farm receipts in Canada for dairy total $6 billion, you are suggesting that we are $2.5 billion or 72% overpriced. I don't think your numbers add up at all.

Do you not consider that everything else is considerably higher cost in Canada but dairy is 100% the fault of supply management? Do you include the massive subsidies the dairy farmers in the US receive from taxpayers?

I think it is good to have a discussion on supply management, but let's not make wild unsubstantiated claims.

Edited by ?Impact

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think Bernier has ever supported supply management, beyond towing party line I suppose. The biker chick thing ten years ago was just a convenient excuse to fire a popular Quebec minister from cabinet, he has always had ideas that were a far cry from the Harper agenda. Bernier has my full support, both with my money and my vote.