Canadian Olympic Golf Team

I was doing some searching trying to find out how golf is going to be treated in the coming Olympis Summer Games:

http://www.igfgolf.org/olympic-games/qualification-system/

Olympic Qualifications - The IOC has restricted the IGF to an Olympic field of 60 players for each of the men’s and women’s competition. The IGF will utilise the official world golf rankings to create the Olympic golf rankings as a method of determining eligibility. The top-15 world-ranked players will be eligible for the Olympics, with a limit of four players from a given country. Beyond the top-15, players will be eligible based on the world rankings, with a maximum of two eligible players from each country that does not already have two or more players among the top-15.

Qualification will be based on world ranking as of 11 July 2016, with a total of 60 players qualifying in each of the men's and women's events. The top 15 players of each gender will qualify, with a limit of four golfers per country that can qualify this way. The remaining spots will go the highest-ranked players from countries that do not already have two golfers qualified. The IGF has guaranteed that at least one golfer from the host nation and each geographical region (Africa, the Americas, Asia, Europe, and Oceania) will qualify. The IGF posts weekly lists of qualifiers based on current rankings for men and women.

A proposal was made to have a 72-hole individual stroke play tournament with the official rules of golf. In the event of a tie for any of the first three positions, a three-hole playoff will determine the medal winners.

Under these conditions, who will represent Canada and what are our chances at a medal?

Graham Delaet and David Hearn are both ranked Canadian golfers on the men's side.

Brooke Henderson is a Canadian prodigy on the women's side. She's only a teenager.

Brooke is our best hope for a medal, but If I had to make a wager, I'd say that the american men will prevail and on the women's side, it'll be Korea.

Brooke is our best hope for a medal, but If I had to make a wager, I'd say that the american men will prevail and on the women's side, it'll be Korea.

You don't think a certain Northern Irish golfer named Rory or an Aussie named Jason have a shot?

You don't think a certain Northern Irish golfer named Rory or an Aussie named Jason have a shot?

Sure, I do. I also think an Aussie named Lydia has a pretty good shot. But, In going with the numbers, I'd bet on US for men, Korea for women.

Tell you what, You take McIlroy and Day, I'll take the Americans (Spieth, Fowler, Watson and Johnson)

• 2 months later...

The top four male golfers have bowed out of the Olympics.

Rory Mcilroy basically says that Olympic golf is irrelevant.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/comment-rory-mcilroys-blunt-olympic-honesty-was-a-massive-slap-in-the-face-to-two-irish-legends-34878401.html

"I don’t feel like I’ve let the game down at all. I didn’t get into golf to try to grow the game, I tried to get into golf to win championships and win major championships," said McIlroy.

"I’m very happy with the decision I’ve made, I have no regrets about it. I’ll probably watch the Olympics, but I’m not sure golf will be one of the events I’ll watch."

When asked what events he would watch, McIlroy added: "I'll watch track and field, swimming, diving - you know, ones that matter."

The top four male golfers have bowed out of the Olympics.

Rory Mcilroy basically says that Olympic golf is irrelevant.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/golf/comment-rory-mcilroys-blunt-olympic-honesty-was-a-massive-slap-in-the-face-to-two-irish-legends-34878401.html

He also wants to have healthy babies.

Zikka virus concerns are a cop out. None of the Women golfers are bowing out because of Zikka.

Perhaps they should. No one really knows much about Zika but the Brazilians pretend to.

Besides. Golfers aren't as passionate about representing their country as Canadian hockey players are.

Perhaps they should. No one really knows much about Zika but the Brazilians pretend to.

Besides. Golfers aren't as passionate about representing their country as Canadian hockey players are.

Well your second point is the pertinent one. That being said, the Ryder Cup is a big deal.

Zika is a weak excuse and not the one Rory is using. You can be exposed to it going to Mexico or Jamaica for vacation, don't see people not doing that.

Well your second point is the pertinent one. That being said, the Ryder Cup is a big deal.

Zika is a weak excuse and not the one Rory is using. You can be exposed to it going to Mexico or Jamaica for vacation, don't see people not doing that.

If I recall Rory did mention that at one time in the press. I will have to dig it up.

If I recall Rory did mention that at one time in the press. I will have to dig it up.

The reason I bumped this thread is that he basically said, today, that Olympic Golf doesn't matter and he won't even watch.

I'd like to see how many female athletes aren't going citing Zika. They actually stand to suffer from getting it.

Just millionaire athletes where the Olympics aren't the pinnacle of their sport.

The reason I bumped this thread is that he basically said, today, that Olympic Golf doesn't matter and he won't even watch.

It's a personal decision.

I'd like to see how many female athletes aren't going citing Zika. They actually stand to suffer from getting it.

Just millionaire athletes where the Olympics aren't the pinnacle of their sport.

I have no problem with him bowing out. Why do you have a problem with it?

Edited by WestCoastRunner

I think it was because his wife was pregnant? Could be I'm mixing him up with someone else.

I have no problem with him bowing out. Why do you have a problem with it?

Did I say I did? Just don't believe it's cuz of Zika.

I didn't start this thread, but I thought I'd contribute to it because of this frank assessment of the tournament by Rory.

Also the PGA isn't suspending their schedule for the Olympics, like the LPGA is, so anyone that goes will be forgoing purse money.

Growing pains. The Olympics has never been a motivation for golfers but that will change. Ryder Cup and Presidents Cup is the ultimate for them when it comes to international competition. There isn't a golfer alive who would turn down a spot on those teams. When tennis was brought back into the Olympics in 1988, a lot of the top men players didn't show up the first time.

Perhaps there should be a transition phase to bring golf into the Olympic Games:

Footgolf

Recently, a local golf course expanded to include a 9 hole footgolf course. My children and grandchildren were in town, all are golfers so they decided to try the course. I observed in a cart and everyone had a hilarious and enjoyable time. I would recommend it to anyone.

Golf shouldn't be an Olympic sport.

I played yesterday.... Front 9 was bad, back 9 was good. Which is usually the opposite of what happens... Plus the back 9 of this course has the harder of the holes. If my front 9 would have matched the back 9, it would have easily been my best round ever.

Golf shouldn't be an Olympic sport.

I played yesterday.... Front 9 was bad, back 9 was good. Which is usually the opposite of what happens... Plus the back 9 of this course has the harder of the holes. If my front 9 would have matched the back 9, it would have easily been my best round ever.

That doesn't justify why it shouldn't be an Olympic sport.

Should any sport with a lucrative pro league or leagues be an Olympic sport since it's supposed to be an amateur competition?

Of course that would eliminate Track, Boxing, Soccer and Sailing.

Edited by Boges

I wonder how many golfers are passing on the Olympics because of the stringent testing for all kinds of performance enhancing drugs in Olympics - much more detailed than on the pro golf tour.

None.