Quoting PDFs

yabut... what if you have "text-with-complete-sentences" interspersed with tabular text... with graphs. You know - a composite makeup!

That is an edge case, as MH already pointed out. We are at peace with allowing that scenario as long as it does not become abused.

in the following example copy from a .pdf file, I didn't include the graph, only 2 related lead-in text passages to the graph. Is this where your suggestion to do it the "old fashioned way" comes in...

No.

Just to let people know, when posting a link to a pdf file you can include page number. If I wanted to talk about executive compensation for the IESO, I might add the following link http://www.ieso.ca/Documents/corp/IESO_2015AnnualReport.pdf#page=51

tag not recognized on 3 pdf readers I tried, including Acrobat. Presumes you have a browser plug-in to read pdf files and/or a native built-in pdf viewer (that is enabled)... notwithstanding the page number isn't the number within the pdf file proper. Make that presumes you have a working browser plug-in as they must be updated in line with Adobe revisions... notwithstanding Adobe-to-plugin (browser) conflicts... Chrome has a history!

Edited by waldo

second attempt at a clarification request to the aforementioned "edge cases" labeling; I trust my first attempt was hidden because I included the textual image... attempting to use it as a comparative reference point. In this second attempt I will not include the textual image; rather, I will simply draw attention to the appearance of the copy&paste in regards 'edge case'... if this example copy&paste is not an 'edge case', is it possible for MLW moderation to more completely advise on what 'edge case' refers to - thanks in advance:

the copy&paste example:

JOINT UNMANNED SURVEILLANCE AND TARGET ACQUISITION SYSTEM (JUSTAS) PROJECT
REQUEST FOR INFORMATION (RFI)
Purpose and Nature of th
e Request for information (RFI)
Public Services and Procurem
ent Canada (PSPC) is requesting
Industry feedback regarding long
range, long endurance Unmanned Aircraft System
s (UAS) for the Government of Canada (GC), the
Department of National Defence (DND)
and the Canadian Armed Forces (CAF).
The objectives of this RFI are to:
a. share with Industry, the GC and the CAF lo
ng range, long endurance UAS requirements;
b. seek feedback from Industry on potential options to meet GC
and CAF’s needs and associated
capability, schedule, cost, risk
and economic benefits; and
c. utilize the feedback from Industry to develop detailed cost estimates and refine planning
documents leading towards Definition phase funding appro

2.0 Background Information
In support of the enduring Canadian defence
strategy roles and missions, UAS will play a
significant role in the CAF

system of systems

approach to Intelligence, Surveillance and
Reconnaissance (ISR), with emphasis
on the defence of Canadian territory, including the Arctic and
maritime approaches, and a capability to support ISR and precision strike in support of deployed forces.
As a result, the CAF has a need
to field and support interoperable, netw
ork-enabled UAS to provide ISR,
Target Acquisition, and a weapons carrying and de
livery capability in support of CAF operations
worldwide.

There is no way for us to prescribe what an 'edge case' is. Suffice it to say, sometimes a post may be outside the rules and we will let it go. For MLW posters, please aim to follow the rules. If you don't, your post may be taken down.

Generally, though, posting an image of copy is not allowed. If you can cut/paste the text as from a PDF, please do that as the forum software will allow that copy to be better aligned with the posts here, ie. the layout will not be 'broken'.

If you can cut/paste the text as from a PDF, please do that as the forum software will allow that copy to be better aligned with the posts here, ie. the layout will not be 'broken'.

respectively, as I interpret, this forum software auto-sizes images and as I read, that related admin setting has a default but can be changed. In any case, in MLW "olden times" I can recall images that absolutely misaligned as they were too large - I haven't seen that for some time. In an earlier post I asked if there was a preferred size desired for images (notwithstanding the over-riding auto-size... for too large images)... my question was ignored.

in regards to "broken layout" of text, the available <INDENT> tag certainly... breaks that presumed layout. Typically, html based text, as copied, will retain whatever text format/alignments exist... which will similarly... "break layout".

your position has been stated/you have the keys, your prerogative. Equally, my personal position and my prerogative, for whatever worth a single member's personal position is, I will not take the time to edit-cleanup text copy from a .pdf file to make it presentable... rather, I will choose instead to not contribute a reply. No worries.

It's way past "edging" -- it's completely absurd.

Maybe not....recall that this forum has to be hosted somewhere, and fees are usually driven by bandwidth requirements. Since the graphics compression and resizing plug-in does not appear to be installed for this IP.Board engine (another cost ?), posting/embedding images and video content can eat up monthly services.

Then there are other considerations for content sharing, digital rights, etc. Just linking the content solves most of those issues.

I advised against this Pandora's Box when first proposed, but sometimes you just have to let the young people learn through experience.

Maybe not....recall that this forum has to be hosted somewhere, and fees are usually driven by bandwidth requirements. Since the graphics compression and resizing plug-in does not appear to be installed for this IP.Board engine (another cost ?), posting/embedding images and video content can eat up monthly services.

no - images are 'hot-linked' (inline linking)... they are not stored on the MLW server; bandwidth considerations reflect upon the servers where images are linked from... not the MLW server. No videos are streamed from the MLW server; again, bandwidth is not an issue on MLW with respect to videos.

MLW does have a maximum image size setting; if you had taken the time to test with assorted image sizes you would realize this (I'm guessing max size is ~2700KB)... image presentation on this max size keeps the image sized to that of wrapped text. Images less than max size are always presented left-justified...

Then there are other considerations for content sharing, digital rights, etc. Just linking the content solves most of those issues.

a superfluous comment as, again, no images/video are directly stored on MLW. A short while back I cited reference to Canadian judicial rulings that hold copyright is not infringed by inline linking.

I advised against this Pandora's Box when first proposed, but sometimes you just have to let the young people learn through experience.

grasshopper, try again!