Are we going to admit Universities are producing thin-skinned people?

Boges

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/04/03/student-accused-of-violating-university-safe-space-by-raising-he/

A university student was threatened with being thrown out of a meeting after being accused of violating safe space rules - by raising her hand.

Imogen Wilson, the vice-president for academic affairs at Edinburgh University Students Association (EUSA), spoke out against safe space rules becoming a tool for the hard left to use when they disagree with people, following the incident last week.

Ms Wilson, 22, was subject to a safe space complaint over her supposedly inappropriate hand gestures during a student council meeting.

I think it was the microagression thread where posters were denying that this is not a thing. University seems to be a place where open debate is not welcome.

Many comedians now refuse to appear in Universities.

Read a bit further in the article. The real reason for this is that she was speaking against the BDS movement. All of the standard SJW complaints about "safe spaces" and whatnot are tools to suppress speech they disagree with. She said something they didn't like, so they try to shut her down any way possible.

President Obama delivered a speech about coddling students and silencing despicable speakers. He encouraged students to let the Anne Coulter's of the world speak their hate and then debunk and denounce ridiculous ideas that have no merit. Of course he didn't mention the vile woman by name and his message was directed at how we learn and do more good if we listen and and argue than protest and shut down.

An intelligent man encouraging free speech, skepticism and debate is not really news, but it interests me because I wonder what Republicans do with that story. Will they now denounce free speech because Obama encouraged it?

Read a bit further in the article. The real reason for this is that she was speaking against the BDS movement.

If only she were in Canada. Those students opposing her could be charged with a hate crime!

Now there's a sensible solution.

Speaking of thin-skinned...

Edited by BC_chick

If only she were in Canada. Those students opposing her could be charged with a hate crime!

Now there's a sensible solution.

Speaking of thin-skinned...

Can you please provide us with a list of the many people involved with or advocating for BDS who have been charged with hate crimes in Canada?

Can you please provide us with a list of the many people involved with or advocating for BDS who have been charged with hate crimes in Canada?

It's fairly new law, I'd hang tight a bit. Unless you're implying that it's not really illegal if nobody has been charged yet. Not sure what your point is.

In any case, my point is that sensitivity is rampant on both sides, people just choose to get upset about the ones with which they disagree.

In any case, my point is that sensitivity is rampant on both sides, people just choose to get upset about the ones with which they disagree.

Actually no. People on the 'left wing' side of any issue are the only ones demanding that opposing views be silenced by the state.
  • Like 1

Actually no. People on the 'left wing' side of any issue are the only ones demanding that opposing views be silenced by the state.

As I pointed out, if this incident had happened in Canada, the students in support of BDS would be 'silenced by the state' so no, you're 100% wrong.

It's just not with BDS, but with feminism and other forms of 'social justice warrior' movements.

And yes, they are getting thin skinned. Some might be doing it as a trolling effort.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3515873/It-s-hair-rules-body-White-student-attacked-having-dreadlocks-hits-claims-cultural-appropriation-attacked-black-student.html

Black woman tries to call out white man with dreadlocks claiming he appropriated black culture because of it.

As I pointed out, if this incident had happened in Canada, the students in support of BDS would be 'silenced by the state' so no, you're 100% wrong.

Actually, there is zero chance of any such thing happening given the biases of the various panels and even in the unlikely event that a case was filed very few people who oppose BDS would support the use of courts of silence opposition. OTOH, supporters of BDS are largely wannabe toletarians who expect the state to silence those opposed to their views. Edited by TimG

Actually, there is zero chance of any such thing happening given the biases of the various panels and even in the unlikely event that a case was filed very few people who oppose BDS would support the use of courts of silence opposition. OTOH, supporters of BDS are largely wannabe toletarians who expect the state to silence those opposed to their views.

The students in the OP would be breaking the law in Canada and just because TimG's crystal-ball says nothing would happen, it doesn't change the FACT that BDS is illegal in Canada. The motion passed 229 to 51, but sure your 'hunches' are stronger than facts.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/parliament-votes-to-reject-campaign-to-boycott-israel/article28863810/

Keep saying how it's the pc side trying to make things illegal though, bet that's a lot more fun for you.

it doesn't change the FACT that BDS is illegal in Canada.

WTF? Did you read your link? Parliamentarians voted to reject the principles of BDS. They did not vote to outlaw the expression of support for it. Your entire argument is based on a fabrication. Edited by TimG

WTF? Did you read your link? Parliamentarians voted to reject the principles of BDS. They did not vote to outlaw the expression of support for it. Your entire argument is based on a fabrication.

The Harper government specifically added nationality to the list groups which are under protection from discrimination and stated a 'zero tolerance policy' for the BDS movement which was seen as anti-semitic and hate-speech. The Liberal government continued the motion to condemn the movement. The fact remains that in Canada, BDS supporters could be charged with hate-speech given the two events.

Whether or not that happens, it doesn't change the fact that in the specific case of the OP, there are no laws that could prosecute the anti-BDS student, but there are laws to prosecute the BDS supporters.

Yet you keep saying it's the lefties trying to silent the other side.

Whether or not that happens, it doesn't change the fact that in the specific case of the OP, there are no laws that could prosecute the anti-BDS student, but there are laws to prosecute the BDS supporters.

Wrong. Someone could express support for BDS without engaging in anything resembling hate speech. The trouble is BDS has become a vehicle for anti-semites so some BDS supporters could find themselves in trouble because of hate speech laws but it won't be because of the BDS support. It will be because they are advocating hatred of Jews.

The same rules would apply to anti-BDS supporters if they engaged in hate speech about the Palestinians except anti-BDS supporters generally don't do that which is why you claim that they could not be prosecuted under the law in Canada.

Whether hate speech should be outlawed at all is another question.

Edited by TimG

The students in the OP would be breaking the law in Canada

That's nonsense. There are a number of BDS organizations in Canada, and none have been charged. What is this law you're talking about?

Sure. Are we going to admit that all it takes to get up a right-wingers nose these days is a couple of handfuls of thin skinned students?

Somebody needs to get a life.

I had to check the date when I saw that in the Telegraph this morning. I thought it was a late April fool's joke. I was going to post it to show just how ridiculous some people can actually be, but then I saw it had already been posted.

So I went to work and got a life. Although I still find it passing strange that all it takes to get up a left winger's nose these days is someone shaking their head in disagreement.

Edited by bcsapper

I had to check the date when I saw that in the Telegraph this morning. I thought it was a late April fool's joke. I was going to post it to show just how ridiculous some people can actually be, but then I saw it had already been posted.

So I went to work and got a life. Although I still find it passing strange that all it takes to get up a left winger's nose these days is someone shaking their head in disagreement.

I saw it on a Canadian morning show today. You'd think if it was an April Fools joke it'd be debunked by now.

The students in the OP would be breaking the law in Canada and just because TimG's crystal-ball says nothing would happen, it doesn't change the FACT that BDS is illegal in Canada. The motion passed 229 to 51, but sure your 'hunches' are stronger than facts.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/parliament-votes-to-reject-campaign-to-boycott-israel/article28863810/

Keep saying how it's the pc side trying to make things illegal though, bet that's a lot more fun for you.

Voting to condemn something is not making it illegal. It was a statement, not a law.

I saw it on a Canadian morning show today. You'd think if it was an April Fools joke it'd be debunked by now.

Oh for sure, It's just a good indication of their absolute lack of any real world common sense that the proximity of the article date to April one made me consider it.

It takes a bit more than that. The OP did more than just disagree with something when it specifically mentioned the left-wing in a manner that suggested all lefties agree with the complaint. I indicated my agreement with the thread title, right-off the bat, and then went on to point out how easily right-wingers noses start twitching. I mean c'mon guys, it's getting pretty lame when the best you can come up with is characterizations that equate kids and sub-adults with adults and old-timers .

Believe me when I say I think there's no shortage of lefties who could stand to get a life too. I'll even say grip - I'm assuming a little self-deprecation is okay especially after Argus' stab at right-wingers the other day. He even made it pretty clear they're likeliest to be the whackier of the two extremes - I certainly wasn't about to argue the point. He seems to be afraid of me these days so why push it?

Edited by eyeball

This doesn't seem like a case of someone being "thin skinned".

No, it looks more like a case of being bone-headed.

Speaking of thin what the hell are the poor righties going to do when it's becoming more obvious all the time how silly a lot of PC is starting look to everyone these days? How long it will take conservatives to come up with a new shtick is anyone's guess but given the ease with which one can tickle their racist bone I fear they're trying on the PC shoes themselves these days and I think they rather like the fit.

Edited by eyeball

It takes a bit more than that. The OP did more than just disagree with something when it specifically mentioned the left-wing in a manner that suggested all lefties agree with the complaint. I indicated my agreement with the thread title, right-off the bat, and then went on to point out how easily right-wingers noses start twitching. I mean c'mon guys, it's getting pretty lame when the best you can come up with is characterizations that equate kids and sub-adults with adults and old-timers .

Believe me when I say I think there's no shortage of lefties who could stand to get a life too. I would have said grip but I'm assuming a little self-deprecation is okay especially after Argus' stab at right-wingers the other day. He even made it pretty clear they're likeliest to be the whackier of the two extremes - I certainly wasn't about to argue the point. He seems to be afraid of me these days so why push it?

Well, obviously, just as you can't speak for all righties, I can't speak for all lefties. I'm sure the lady in question probably leans a little left, when all's said and done, notwithstanding her arm raising and head shaking. I don't think there would have been too many righties among those upset by her movements, though.

Edited by bcsapper