New Senate Selections

So the first batch of new Senators has been revealed:

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/pm-names-7-new-senators-1.2822609

At first glance they do appear to be far less partisan then the picks of previous governments but I assume that Conservatives will disagree.

The appointees, and the provinces they represent, are:

• Raymonde Gagne (Manitoba) She has worked in education for over 35 years. She served as president of Université de Saint-Boniface from 2003 to 2014. She was responsible for the college obtaining full university status and has been honoured for increasing the range of educational opportunities available in French in the province.

• Justice Murray Sinclair (Manitoba) He was the first Aboriginal judge appointed in Manitoba and only the second in Canada. He was the chief commissioner of the Truth and Reconciliation Commission, which investigated the legacy of the residential school system and delivered a landmark report in 2015.

• V. Peter Harder (Ontario), the long-time civil servant who headed Justin Trudeau’s transition team when the Liberals took power last November. He spent 29 years in the federal public service, including 16 years as a deputy minister and four years as the personal representative of the prime minister to three G8 Summits. He will also become the government’s representative in the Senate.

• Frances Lankin (Ontario) Most recently, Lankin spent 10 years running the United Way in Toronto, taking that job after years as an NDP cabinet minister and MPP in Ontario. From 2009 to 2016, she was a member of the Security Intelligence Review Committee, the oversight body for the country’s security agencies.

• Ratna Omidvar (Ontario) Recognized globally for her contributions to increasing the inclusion of immigrants, she is currently the founding executive director of a think tank at Ryerson University’s school of management that focuses on diversity, migration and inclusion. She is the chair of Lifeline Syria, which seeks to bring 1,000 privately sponsored Syrian refugees to Toronto. She also serves on the boards of the Centre for Mental Health and Addiction, The Environics Institute, and Samara.

• Chantal Petitclerc (Quebec) She has won over 20 medals for Canada in the sport of wheelchair racing, beginning at the 1992 Paralympic Games in Barcelona. She is chef de mission for Canada’s team at the 2016 Paralympic Games in Rio de Janeiro.

• Andre Pratte (Quebec) Author and journalist, he spent 14 years as editor-in-chief of the Quebec daily paper La Presse. He is one of the founders of a Quebec think tank on federalism.

All will sit as independents.

Unelected people with the power to legislate for Canadians? One was selected as a reward for his partisan works for PM Trudeau. Same old, same old... political hacks being appointed to the Senate.

No thanks.

EEE

Edited by The_Squid

Unelected people with the power to legislate for Canadians? One was selected as a reward for his partisan works for PM Trudeau.

Who?

You mean this guy?

Justin Trudeau’s decision to name former senior bureaucrat Peter Harder to help manage his transition into government sends a signal to Canada’s demoralized public service that they will be listened to under the Liberals, say former bureaucrats.

------

Several argued Harder’s appointment shows the incoming government is steering clear of ideology and picking him for expertise. They said Trudeau, with his chief of staff, should call a meeting with deputy ministers to “show he sees the public service as a key source of advice.” It would also help reinforce the traditional role of ministers, which was usurped by a powerful Prime Minister’s Office over the terms of several recent prime ministers.

http://ottawacitizen.com/news/politics/peter-harders-job-on-trudeau-transition-team-lauded-by-former-bureacrats

He's no political hack, if that's what you're trying to paint him as.

Trudeau can't make the senate triple E. I would fight against that very idea anyway. Equal, fine. Effective, fine (whatever that means). Elected? We already have an elected house - the US system of government is not one I'm keen to emulate.

Edited by Smallc

...Trudeau can't make the senate triple E. I would fight against that very idea anyway. Equal, fine. Effective, fine (whatever that means). Elected? We already have an elected house - the US system of government is not one I'm keen to emulate.

No worries....not even close...that would make it closer to a "republic". No good for loyalists.

Justin Trudeau’s decision to name former senior bureaucrat Peter Harder to help manage his transition into government sends a signal to Canada’s demoralized public service that they will be listened to under the Liberals, say former bureaucrats.

Canada's demoralized public service? You are referring to the ones that were dancing merrily in the halls of parliament and cheering when Trudeau Jr. walked by? Those ones? What a joke. You really have lost your mind now that you have become a Liberal. If the overpaid public service, with all their extravagant benefits, who have their own personal Ontario Premier and their own personal Prime Minister, bought and paid for with money that they've extorted out of us taxpayers, are "demoralized", well that's their problem. Wonder how demoralized they'd be if they were someone on disability, or with a fixed income, that are watching their hydro rates jump by $40/month because of that heartless witch Katherine Wynne. Wonder how they'd feel if they had to decide between food or heat? Think they would be demoralized then?

Edited by Smoke

The NDP are strongly against a senate , which I'm strong against their view because no PM should have that much power. So let have the provinces elected names for the senate when their provincial elections are held. That list is sent to Ottawa and when senator of that province retires or quit, another name is selected from the provinces list. Would that satisfy everyone and THEY would be held responsible to the people of Canada or their province. I think this would take some time to transfer over though unless any of you have a way to do it faster.

It's good to see that they will all sit as independents and most of them appear to be selected based on carrying out in depth political research in the form of commissions and other similar projects. This is exactly the purpose of the Senate. They should use their experience and tenure to spearhead research that makes legislation stronger, offering up amendments when they're needed.

They are all Liberal supporters or anti conservative writers except for the athlete. Larkin was an NDP cabinet minister but has more recently worked with Ontario's Liberals. They might be 'independents' but they are selected via a committee appointed by Liberals so there is no doubt in my mind who they will side with when it comes to voting. They are no more 'non partisan' than Harper's where, this is simply a pretense.

How can Larkin who an NDP member accept the position when her party wants to abolish the Senate.

...that are watching their hydro rates jump by $40/month because of that heartless witch Katherine Wynne.

oh my! I do believe your passion needs reigning in... amirite? In that your $40 figure is so specific, I will take it to align with the relatively recent Ontario Energy Board approved, Toronto Hydro announced, 2016 rate increase of $40... uhhh... per year! Ya, that's an estimated $40 per year increase for the average homeowner. I trust this will reduce your passion twelve-fold - yes?

When a problem exists, one can complain, scream, jump up and down and cry - or one can try something new. Every constitutional expert agrees that the structure cannot change so abolishment, EEE or any other change would require a change in our Constitution - a change that is not an option.

I believe that what JT had promised to try to create was a less partisan Senate. There is no such dogmatic position as neutral - everybody has political leanings in some direction. Even "Independents" admit that they have views on financial policy, foreign policy, domestic policy et al which someone may evaluate as left or right leaning.

I think that he is going in the right direction with these latest choices. I like the process and I like the transparency.

The challenge as I see it is that the working organization of our Senate is based on party affiliation as to committee make up and procedural by-laws. The senators themselves will now have to review all of these previous workings and adjust them to accept a growing Independent majority.

While what the Liberals are doing will not solve all of the problems it is an attempt at change - and that is refreshing.

I wish those new folks in the Senate lots of luck.

Remember, there are 17 more on the way.

scribblet, name one Senate appointment from Harper who wasn't a blind conservative partisan at the time of their appointment.

What's your point, this is about a supposed non partisan open selection process promised by the Liberals - it ain't any of that.

What's your point, this is about a supposed non partisan open selection process promised by the Liberals - it ain't any of that.

Where have you shown that it isn't? It seems this group represents a broad swath of mainstream Canadians.

Edited by Smallc

Where have you shown that it isn't? It seems this group represents a broad swath of mainstream Canadians.

She's trying to say Trudeau is a hypocrite without coming right out and saying it because she would then have it thrown at her what Harper said he would do with the Senate, absolutely none of which he did. Meanwhile, Trudeau has actually shown that he's taking a different approach.

She's trying to say Trudeau is a hypocrite without coming right out and saying it because she would then have it thrown at her what Harper said he would do with the Senate, absolutely none of which he did. Meanwhile, Trudeau has actually shown that he's taking a different approach.

I think the thing that really irks Conservatives is that the majority of Canadians (even in the urban west) don't agree with them. Harper stayed in power by pretending to be Chrétien. The Conservative parts were what people didn't like.

Methinks, every successful democracy has a constitution where the wishes of the electorate are satisfied (representation by population - one person, one vote) and also some method of guaranteeing regional representation. Our Senate was created in an attempt to give those regions with small populations equal ability to express their views.

In theory, this gives a lot of power to the small Eastern provinces. Unfortunately (or fortunately), the number of senate seats allocated varies with the province so the larger provinces continue to dominate.

In the past, with party allegiance the priority, the potential pool of potential senators was small - usually campaign chairmen, defeated members and party loyalists with deep pockets. Often, the PM had to look for partisans with questionable ties to their allocated province. I believe that now we may see some refreshing changes with more representatives from the arts and sports fields as well successful apolitical businessmen.

It is very difficult to enter politics after your earning prime. Professional sportspeople, artists, musicians and successful entrepreneurs had spent most of their lives establishing a career and promoting Canada across the globe but were unable to get involved in running for office. The advantage of our senate appointment process is that these proud and patriotic Canadians can now be tapped for their knowledge and experience of reviewing laws suggested by the elected body.

I am optimistic - but we shall see.

oh my! I do believe your passion needs reigning in... amirite? In that your $40 figure is so specific, I will take it to align with the relatively recent Ontario Energy Board approved, Toronto Hydro announced, 2016 rate increase of $40... uhhh... per year! Ya, that's an estimated $40 per year increase for the average homeowner. I trust this will reduce your passion twelve-fold - yes?

Your link is for Toronto Hydro. Out here in eastern Ontario it's Hydro one, and their average increase is $137/year. Plus the 10% benefit to low income earners is being eliminated.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/ontario-hydro-bills-to-cost-another-137-for-most-in-2016-1.3010441

On a $300/month electrical bill (yes that is correct $300/month for a small 2 bedroom apt) losing the benefit adds $30/month, then add the the 11.42/month average increase and that equals 41.42/month. Oh wait bonus....we no longer have to pay the $5.50/month bs debt retirement payment that we've had for the last 10 years. That's $35.82/month. And this was a relatively warm winter here in eastern Ontario compared to last year. My tenants bills from last year have increased over $40/month in both of the first two months of the year. January 2015 = $292, January 2016 = $335, February 2015 = $238, February 2016 = 290.

Even at last years rates many are having trouble making ends meet. Sorry to burst your smug little bubble waldo.

"she' doesn't appreciate having words put in her mouth.. How about addressing the issue and not the poster or imputing words not said.

When Trudeau said the structure of the Senate was fine, we just needed 'better' Senators, what he meant was, 'Liberal' Senators.

Peter Harder will be the gov’t rep. in the Senate so don’t know why they would say he is going to be an independant as clearly he is a partisan liberal.

The process was also not open and transparent at all, it was still a secret short list from a Liberal picked committee. More to come soon of course.

Edited by scribblet

is there a problem?... current makeup of the advisory board choosing and presenting candidates for the Senate:

chair: Huguette Labelle, former senior public servant, serving as deputy minister at Transport Canada, the Public Service Commission and the Canadian International Development Agency. Adviser to the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development's committee on integrity and anti-corruption. Appointed chancellor of University of Ottawa in 1994, a position she held until 2012. Holds honorary degrees from 12 Canadian universities and is a companion — the highest rank — of the Order of Canada.

members:

• Indira Samarasekera, federal member: she served as the president and vice-chancellor of the University of Alberta.
  • Daniel Jutras, federal member: dean of law, professor, Wainwright Chair in Civil Law at the Faculty of Law, McGill University.
  • Murray Segal, provincial member for Ontario: former Ontario deputy attorney general and Ontario deputy minister responsible for Aboriginal Affairs.
  • Dawn Lavell Harvard, provincial member for Ontario: president of the Native Women's Association of Canada.
  • Sylvie Bernier, provincial member for Quebec: Olympic gold medalist, media contributor and "healthy lifestyle ambassador."
  • Yves Lamontagne, provincial member for Quebec: psychiatrist.
  • Susan Lewis: provincial member for Manitoba: worked for over 40 years with the United Way of Winnipeg, including as president from 1985 to 2014.
  • Heather Bishop, provincial member for Manitoba: a musician/singer-songwriter, independent recording artist and entrepreneur.

Peter Harder will be the gov’t rep. in the Senate so don’t know why they would say he is going to be an independant as clearly he is a partisan liberal.

waldo talking point correction: Peter Harder spent 29 years in the federal public service... with his most significant and profiled positions being within the Conservative Clark and Mulroney governments. He has been outside of government since 2007, working in the private sector until asked to oversee the transition of the newly elected 2015 Liberal party into governance... apparently the Liberal party felt he had some experience in that regard!

• 3 weeks later...