Criticizing religion.

taxme

Does anyone know if there is some kind of law in place that says that if any Canadian criticizes any religion, they are subject to a fine or jail? Is this for real. The reason I am asking is that I was watching a talk show on American TV about Islam, and the guy being interviewed said that this was a law in Canada. This guy was originally from Europe and in some European countries it is against the law to say anything demeaning against any religion. If this is truly the case in Canada than I would say that this is an attack on freedom of speech, and must be abolished for freedoms sake. Anyone?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone know if there is some kind of law in place that says that if any Canadian criticizes any religion, they are subject to a fine or jail? Is this for real. The reason I am asking is that I was watching a talk show on American TV about Islam, and the guy being interviewed said that this was a law in Canada. This guy was originally from Europe and in some European countries it is against the law to say anything demeaning against any religion. If this is truly the case in Canada than I would say that this is an attack on freedom of speech, and must be abolished for freedoms sake. Anyone?

296 of the criminal code. In place since 1892 or so. Anti blasphemy law.

Here's what my googling just came up with:

We have 'blasphemy libel'. This is an old antiquated common law which is no longer practiced in England and Wales. It's still common law in Northern Ireland and Statutory offense in New Zealand and Canada.

Its basis is the publication of anything that may ridicule the Church, but the more recent sections of criminal code 296 were more all-encompassing even though they were never put to the test (Muhammed cartoons, anyone?).

Essentially it's a useless law that needs to be repealed.

There is always a limit to any freedom in any democracy. For example you can drink but you cannot drink and drive. you can have sex but not in public places, you can be nude at home or specific places but not in public, you can speed as long as you don't endanger others on the road, ......similarly when it comes to freedom of speech or expression, you can say what you want as long as you don't insult (like using offensive words) or offend or hurt other people who may or may not differ in beliefs or looks from you. Nothing ridiculous about this. If we have this law then it is legitimate. Your right to freedom of any kind does not overrule or exceed other people's freedoms to safety, integrity or living in peace. Speech also must not incite hatred or violence. In a democracy people regardless of their religion, color, status. wealth, gender, race, origin, orientation are equal and have equal rights.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

There is always a limit to any freedom in any democracy. For example you can drink but you cannot drink and drive. you can have sex but not in public places, you can be nude at home or specific places but not in public, you can speed as long as you don't endanger others on the road, ......similarly when it comes to freedom of speech or expression, you can say what you want as long as you don't insult (like using offensive words) or offend or hurt other people who may or may not differ in beliefs or looks from you. Nothing ridiculous about this. If we have this law then it is legitimate. Your right to freedom of any kind does not overrule or exceed other people's freedoms to safety, integrity or living in peace. Speech also must not incite hatred or violence. In a democracy people regardless of their religion, color, status. wealth, gender, race, origin, orientation are equal and have equal rights.

Yeah, that is ridiculous. Nobody has a right not to be offended. Nor should they have.

Edited by bcsapper

What Quebec law would that be?

I can't remember exactly. An article about a law making the cricism of Islam illegal in Quebec went around a few months ago. I don't know what became of it. Maybe common sense prevailed and my comment is redundant.

Matter of interpretation. You can criticize any religion unless someone reads your criticism as inciting hatred. They take it to the authorities to judge of it incites or not. If judged incites - into the cell you go!

SIR BEDEVERE: How do you know she's a witch??

Matter of interpretation. You can criticize any religion unless someone reads your criticism as inciting hatred. They take it to the authorities to judge of it incites or not. If judged incites - into the cell you go!

Incites hatred of what? The religion, or the people following the religion? Does it have to be deliberate?

What about a different example? Take Donald Trump, for instance. If you criticize him for being a ridiculous oaf, no problem. If you criticize him for his views on immigrants, some immigrants might end up hating him. Should it be illegal to criticize him for that, then?

Edited by bcsapper

I can't remember exactly. An article about a law making the cricism of Islam illegal in Quebec went around a few months ago. I don't know what became of it. Maybe common sense prevailed and my comment is redundant.

Why are you singling out Quebec?

It's already illegal in Canada. Do you have an issue with the Canadian criminal code

Section 319 (2) of the Criminal Code:

Marginal note:Wilful promotion of hatred

(2) Every one who, by communicating statements, other than in private conversation, wilfully promotes hatred against any identifiable group is guilty of

(a) an indictable offence and is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding two years; or

(b ) an offence punishable on summary conviction.

"Identfiable group" includes religion. Edited by The_Squid

Why are you singling out Quebec?

It's already illegal in Canada. Do you have an issue with the Canadian criminal code

Section 319 (2) of the Criminal Code:

"Identfiable group" includes religion.

I think it was this:

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/09/04/quebecs-bill-59-panders-to-islamists

Disclaimer: I haven't read it all, I just googled it so you would know what I was talking about.

I guess it would depend on your definition of "Wilfully promoting hatred". Does that include simply telling the truth?

Edit> I suppose I do have an issue with it, yes. I don't see why it should be a crime to hate something that deserves it, and given that, why should it be a crime to promote that hatred?

Unless the criminal code is referring to accidentally promoting hatred of people who don't deserve it. Or do you think they are talking about wilfully promoting hatred of people who don't deserve it, while quite reasonably promoting hatred of those who do, and belong to the same identifiable group? Like evangelical Republicans, say.

Edited by bcsapper

No ones telling you that you can't hate terrorists. The law's telling you that you can't promote hatred for Muslims in general. No one' staying you can't hate black kids in gangs. They're telling you that you can't turn around and promote violence against all black people.

There is a school in Nova Scotia called the Eastern Shore District High School in Musquodoboit, NS. At this school they were having their yearly ceremonies for their graduating students. The principal and several students had to be careful to stay within the new court ruling guidelines which were that they could not mention divine guidance, and no one asked for blessings on the graduates or their families.

A solitary student then walked proudly up to the microphone. He stood still and silent for a moment. Then all 92 students suddenly sneezed, which appears to have been planned. The student on stage then said to the students "God bless you". The audience exploded into applause. Apparently, the graduating class had found a unique way to invoke God's blessing on their future with or without the courts approval.

This is a prime example of the silliness of politically correct multicultural nonsense that goes on in this country these days where a school has to avoid giving blessings and praise or thank God in their speeches. This is suppose to be a Christian country but yet just about all things that have to do with Christianity, and Christmas has been removed from schools and government buildings especially during the Christmas period, no doubt to not offend other religions. The mention of the word Christmas in schools has been removed from being celebrated during the Christmas season. Only seasons greetings and happy holidays are accepted now. Political correctness is censorship. This is not good.

I wonder if saying the words "God bless you" when someone sneezes will become politically incorrect to use one day? Hey, you never know.

LOL.

First of all this is not a Christian country but belongs to all religions and races who are citizens of this country equally. True, people of Christian background are in majority 10% of which are practicing Christianity but the country doesn't belong to them exclusively because they are in a majority..

Now considering the civilized fact that respect for individuals and fellow citizens is necessary and disrespect should and is against the law then there is a limit to what can be said or acted upon in any advanced society.. It is for living in harmony and peace that we have these laws. Whether we like it or not the planet we live in is multicultural. This means both people looking different and living differently and believing differently. That includes this country too and may be to a lesser extend any other country.

In this country the Straight Christian Caucasians are in majority. It is not just a matter of political correctness not to offend the minority (those not straight or Christian or Caucasian)? I don't think so. It is being respectful to other people. Not to cause riots and disturbance (the oppressed will always fight back) or harm a fellow citizen (inciting violence) or worse a civil war. That said it should be allowed and I think is allowed to state the facts (for example certain religion or religions may encourage or allow inequality or murder called honor killing or forced hejab) and criticize it (based on norm standards) however not to encourage violence against those people who believe in them (exercising them though is and must be against the laws of this country and in my view any civilized country but our laws will deal with it).

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

Hell, who would?

I'm happy to just tell it like it is, and let others decide if they want to hate or not.

Why would anyone want to prevent that?

The problem is what is it that "is"? The Donald is trying to tell people that he is telling it like it is. David Duke is telling people that he is telling it like it is. Ayman al-Zawahiri and Bin Laden both told people that they were telling it like it is.

All these folks are happy to tell it like it is and let others decide if they want to hate or not.