Budget day in Ontario

Topaz

Today, the Ontario will brings down their budget and already word is increase in gasoline and natural gas. 3-4 cents on gasoline, I believe and 5.00 monthly in natural gas. Gee. I wonder how the voters on the GTA feel? http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/budget-ontario-province-health-1.3462420

Edited by Charles Anthony
fixed link

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So if that's what they're going to do. Then why not a Carbon tax? Oh because that would require an income tax cut that make people think it's revenue neutral.

This government is the WORST!

People aren't going to reduce their driving habits over a 5 cent/litre increase in the price of gas. This is just a tax grab.

Edited by Boges

It goes with the trend for the Ontario Liberals.

Run an election and say thy will not raise taxes.

http://www.torontosun.com/2015/04/18/kathleen-wynne-keeps-a-promise

Wynne also promised to be more open and transparent, but just last week announced a cap-and-trade carbon pricing system for Ontario that will, according to what the Liberals told the Globe and Mail, cost the public up to $2 billion annually, which she never mentioned during the campaign.

Indeed, Wynne denied right after her election that she was planning a carbon tax.

Her logic in defending her decision last week was that cap-and-trade isn’t a tax, a distinction without a difference since both raise the cost of living, cap-and-trade through higher prices, a carbon tax through higher taxes.

I thought Ontario would never do worse than Bob Rae.

I was wrong.

Congratulations Queen Wynne may your reign end quickly

So the deficit is lower than expected, and will be gone next year. Looks like I was right wen I said the Liberals would do what needed to be done.

blahahahhahahahahaha

You made a funny.

Every party knows that selling Hydro one is a bad call. Even a Conservative like me knows it is a bad call JUST LIKE SELLING THE 407 ( I can admit when my guy's screw up) That money will be used to artificially kill the debt (Just like the 407 did) while Wynne can campaign on balancing the budget.

This cap and trade is about a tax grab and not the environment.

So the deficit is lower than expected, and will be gone next year. Looks like I was right wen I said the Liberals would do what needed to be done.

Are you f****** joking??? After 13 years of big deficits??? Get a clue man.

Edited by Michael Hardner
Profanity

Are you f****** joking??? After 13 years of big deficits??? Get a clue man.

It hasn't been 13 years since 2008-2009.

Ontario has only had 11 balanced budgets in 50 years. 3 of those 11 years were under McGuinty. 4 were under the PCs in the 90s. Nice try though.

It hasn't been 13 years since 2008-2009.

Ontario has only had 11 balanced budgets in 50 years. 3 of those 11 years were under McGuinty. 4 were under the PCs in the 90s. Nice try though.

I gladly invite you to compare the debt records of the PCs under Harris and Liberals under McGuinty/Wynne. You might learn something. Anyways, what needed to be done in your mind is always tax increases. Federal tax increases and now provincial tax increases. How about you get your hands out of other people's wallets all the time? For once.

I gladly invite you to compare the debt records of the PCs under Harris and Liberals under McGuinty/Wynne. You might learn something.

The PCs ran 1 more surplus. The Largest Liberal deficits coincided with large deficits at the federal level and in most other provinces. Ontario has one of if not the smallest governments per capita in the country. I know actual facts are inconvenient for you, but, that's reality.

Anyways, what needed to be done in your mind is always tax increases.

Sometimes, taxes need to go up. At the federal level, that's certainly the case. I couldn't tell you if that's currently the case in Ontario. Given that they're unable to increase health spending to keep up with inflation, it's a possibility.

How about you get your hands out of other people's wallets all the time? For once.

All Canadians should have a say - those of us that pay taxes, and those of you that don't.

Don't remember any other governments raising taxes at the rate the Ontario Liberals did.

Every other province has raised taxes in the last few years. Every single one. Ontario collects less revenue per capita than pretty much any other province.

Every other province has raised taxes in the last few years. Every single one. Ontario collects less revenue per capita than pretty much any other province.

Even if I were to take that at face value. Which I don't because your lack of proof.

Who has raised the highest dept combined with raising taxes at the same rate as the Government of Ontario?

Great idea about free University Education for low income households.

That kind of investment pays for itself in a few short years and then continues to generate funds through taxes on substantive incomes.

I could not agree more.

Yes by the law of averages the Liberals were bound to do something right eventually and were long over due.

Paying for secondary education is tax dollars well spent. Damn sight better than the "Green Energy Act" and will help a lot more people.

Who has raised the highest dept combined with raising taxes at the same rate as the Government of Ontario?

Which province suffered more economically since 2008 - 2009?

Ontario is now set to be second in the country in terms of growth. How fast things change. Ontario, again, has only run 11 surpluses in the last 50 years - 3 of those under the current and last Liberal government.

Ontario has the lowest per-capita program spending among provinces and the lowest total government revenue per person among all Canadian provinces, including funding from federal transfers.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2014/ch1e.html

That seems like the most important metric.

Which province suffered more economically since 2008 - 2009?

Ontario is now set to be second in the country in terms of growth. How fast things change. Ontario, again, has only run 11 surpluses in the last 50 years - 3 of those under the current and last Liberal government.

Ontario has the lowest per-capita program spending among provinces and the lowest total government revenue per person among all Canadian provinces, including funding from federal transfers.

http://www.fin.gov.on.ca/en/budget/ontariobudgets/2014/ch1e.html

That seems like the most important metric.

So you feel that when unemployment is up and businesses are running away it is a good time to raise taxes and raise the cost of doing business?

What happened to the 600,000 jobs the HST created

http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/2009/11/16/hst_will_create_jobs_not_kill_them_mcguinty_says.html

You don't think this government would not be jumping up and down screaming "Look at us, We did something right!!!!!!!!"

Look at those GDP numbers:

http://www.rbc.com/newsroom/_assets-custom/pdf/20151208-on.pdf

It seems things are finally going right.

Yeah.....

No time did I blame the global recession on the Ontario Liberals.

I am not gonna claim our growth is because of them. I think it is likely in spite of them