"No Schedule" on Cannabis Legalization

Boges

1 minute ago, Boges said:

The upfront cost of making good alcohol is way more than making good pot. Not saying you can easily make good pot in your garden, but when making good Beer, Wine and Spirits you need an aging process, you need tons of water etc etc. 

They aren't remotely similar in productions. It's much closer to Tobacco and we can buy Tobacco in any corner store. 

Where its precisely the same is in principle.

3 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Then why didn't he decriminalize?

I can't figure that one out. It's certainly a bit of a hot potato politically, but once he announced he was going to legalize pot, he should have at least reduced it to a misdemeanour while supply/distribution plans were worked out.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Omni said:

I can't figure that one out. It's certainly a bit of a hot potato politically, but once he announced he was going to legalize pot, he should have at least reduced it to a misdemeanour while supply/distribution plans were worked out.

I wish harper would have did that before the last election. And then take the time to figure the proper way to do this.

5 minutes ago, PIK said:

I wish harper would have did that before the last election. And then take the time to figure the proper way to do this.

maybe Harper ever enjoyed a doobie so the issue wasn't anywhere near top of his agenda.

or should that be near "pot" of his agenda.

Edited by Omni

This is one of the reason why Police suck. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/09/12/police-ask-feds-to-postpone-date-for-legal-pot-say-theres-zero-chance-they-will-be-ready.html

OTTAWA—Canada’s police services say there is zero chance they will be ready to enforce new laws for legalized pot by next summer.

Officials from the Canadian Association of Chiefs of Police, Ontario Provincial Police and the Saskatoon Police Service are among dozens of witnesses testifying to the House of Commons health committee this week as it studies the government’s bill to legalize marijuana.

They said Tuesday they need more time to properly train officers about the new laws and more than double the number of police officers who are certified to conduct roadside drug impaired driving testing. There also needs to be more time for public education, the police said.

They want an extension so they can continue to charge people criminally for simple possession? 

What's to train? Stop charging people for simple possession of pot! 

There'll be no way to ensure that the pot people buy isn't black market. And if there was a way then enforcement would actually have to increase and it'll be more expensive. Might as well keep the system the way it is. 

4 hours ago, Boges said:

This is one of the reason why Police suck. 

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2017/09/12/police-ask-feds-to-postpone-date-for-legal-pot-say-theres-zero-chance-they-will-be-ready.html

They want an extension so they can continue to charge people criminally for simple possession? 

What's to train? Stop charging people for simple possession of pot! 

There'll be no way to ensure that the pot people buy isn't black market. And if there was a way then enforcement would actually have to increase and it'll be more expensive. Might as well keep the system the way it is. 

I had thought this legalization would reduce the amount of policing necessary. Highly trained police officers should be used to go after serious crime, not act as babysitters.

Seems like these officials are blowing smoke...

1 minute ago, OftenWrong said:

I had thought this legalization would reduce the amount of policing necessary. Highly trained police officers should be used to go after serious crime, not act as babysitters.

Seems like these officials are blowing smoke...

What like waiting on the side of the road for speeders to come by? 

Police are never going to allow themselves to actually be less relevant. Crime is at historic lows because policing costs keep rising. 

I'm sure police will be out in force, more than ever, making sure people aren't selling pot outside of government run stores. 

Pathetic actually. 

2 minutes ago, Boges said:

What like waiting on the side of the road for speeders to come by? 

Police are never going to allow themselves to actually be less relevant. Crime is at historic lows because policing costs keep rising. 

I'm sure police will be out in force, more than ever, making sure people aren't selling pot outside of government run stores. 

Pathetic actually. 

I appreciate the police but maybe not their politicized leadership. Buncha old, white men

It needs to be said that the reason Liberals have made such a clusterfuck out of this is the moral and ideological panic caused by some need to accommodate the tender sensitivities of conservatives.  Their old fear of appearing soft instead of tough.

Legalization is a job for the real left in Canada. We'd simply tell the conservatives to go piss up a rope and keep their stupid state off the people's backs.  The Liberals just don't have the moral or ethical background for doing that - at their core Liberals are even more right-wing than conservatives.

On 13 September, 2017 at 2:12 AM, eyeball said:

It needs to be said that the reason Liberals have made such a clusterfuck out of this is the moral and ideological panic caused by some need to accommodate the tender sensitivities of conservatives.  Their old fear of appearing soft instead of tough.

Legalization is a job for the real left in Canada. We'd simply tell the conservatives to go piss up a rope and keep their stupid state off the people's backs.  The Liberals just don't have the moral or ethical background for doing that - at their core Liberals are even more right-wing than conservatives.

You need to cite that this is the CPCs fault. Their justification is NOT keeping people out of the justice system, it's "WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN". They think having a unionized cashier sell you pot instead of your "guy". Kids won't get pot anymore. 

The Liberals want to Nanny state us. They want the police to still have the job of enforcing pot laws and get tax revenue from being everyone's dealer now. 

1 hour ago, Boges said:

You need to cite that this is the CPCs fault. Their justification is NOT keeping people out of the justice system, it's "WILL SOMEONE PLEASE THINK OF THE CHILDREN". They think having a unionized cashier sell you pot instead of your "guy". Kids won't get pot anymore. 

The Liberals want to Nanny state us. They want the police to still have the job of enforcing pot laws and get tax revenue from being everyone's dealer now. 

I said its the Liberals fault for accommodating conservatives.  In any case I'm standing by my prediction that pot will not be legalized any time soon.- certainly not before the next election and if the CPC wins...never.

You're suggesting a conservative Nanny will be less of a douchebag?

Edited by eyeball

8 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I said its the Liberals fault for accommodating conservatives.  In any case I'm standing by my prediction that pot will not be legalized any time soon.- certainly not before the next election and if the CPC wins...never.

There's a Libertarian element of conservatism that just wants the government out of our personal lives. 

Under the CPC, pot was effectively decriminalized. It was JT who had to remind cops that it's illegal and they need to enforce the existing laws until the Nanny State can take over. And now they're going to give Cops marching orders to shut down any form of pot sales that doesn't collect taxes and have unionized cashiers selling it. 

Ironic thing came out of the news yesterday that anyone hoping to work for Ontario's new Cannabis operation can't have a criminal record. So no one that knows anything about pot then. 

Edited by Boges

Just now, Boges said:

There's a Libertarian element of conservatism that just wants the government out of our personal lives. 

So I've heard but I just don't believe it, their conservatism comes first above all else.

Under the CPC, pot was effectively decriminalized. It was JT who had to remind cops that it's illegal and they need to enforce the existing laws until the Nanny State can take over.

Perhaps the odd city police force was laying off people but not if you'ere brown and certainly not where the Mounties rule.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I  agree legalization is not likely before the next election. And I'm wondering what's gonna happen to these companies who are planning things like "marijuana tours" for when "weed is legalized in less than a year"(as the papers are all saying, taking Liberal promises at face value for some strange reason). I think some of these investors are gonna get burned pretty badly.

And I don't think it's just pandering to conservatives that's the problem. There's also the Liberals wanting marijuana to be a provincial responsibility, while still maintaining some sort of federal control. Since it's  going to be the provinces regulating it, why even bother having these hearings in Ottawa? The Liberals should just say "Okay, in a year, marijuana will be out of the criminal code, and we're washing our hands of this. The provinces can do whatever they want."  Any hearings between now and then should be held by the respective provinces, not the  federal government. 

But of course it's obvious the Liberals want to dodge the responsibility of regulation, while still being able to collect taxes on weed as well as maintain some influence over what the provinces do. So we've got all these hearings and debates at the federal level, complicating what would otherwise be a pretty simple process. 

Edited by left_alberta

• 3 weeks later...
23 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Just heard that the legal age for pot in Alberta and Quebec will be 18 years old. Meanwhile I recall hearing that Ontario has set its legal age at 19. I find that rather strange... are Ontarians not mature enough to smoke their weed at 18? Whacky.

Yeah, strange indeed. No worries for 19 year old Ontarians straddling the Quebec border. Just hop over and buy your weed at a Quebec weed outlet. A major concern is that federal excise tax on pot will be set so high that it will be cheaper to continue buying it from a local drug dealer. IE, federal tax to be set at $1.00 per gram to a maximum of $10.00 (10 grams) then it increases. Is this marijuana legislation really to protect our youth from predatory street drug vendors or a convenient tax grab? I'm stilling mulling that over.

3 hours ago, capricorn said:

Yeah, strange indeed. No worries for 19 year old Ontarians straddling the Quebec border. Just hop over and buy your weed at a Quebec weed outlet. A major concern is that federal excise tax on pot will be set so high that it will be cheaper to continue buying it from a local drug dealer. IE, federal tax to be set at $1.00 per gram to a maximum of $10.00 (10 grams) then it increases. Is this marijuana legislation really to protect our youth from predatory street drug vendors or a convenient tax grab? I'm stilling mulling that over.

Upwards of $270 an ounce will pretty much guarantee the vast majority of pot people use will be stuff they grow themselves.  If they're not allowed the black market will thrive with Nanny representing the competition.

A hydroponic store would be a better investment than shares in Big Pot. 

Edited by eyeball