Liberal voter fraud?

So one liberal mp committed fraud? It's a little hard to have so many candidates run and make sure that not a single one is a fraudster,> I don't think that can be held against the whole party.

When I voted my name got crossed off the list, and 300 extra votes is a lot in a station where there were less than 600 names of eligible voters on the list. Can they really be over by 50% from just "a few honest mistakes"?

Yeah, fair point. I am under the impression that this took place in a Northern rural community, largely populated by First Nations. In that scenario, I could see a fairly inaccurate voters list, and a lot of unexpected voters showing up. A related news story notes a 48% increase in voter turnout. Still, it's curious at the very least and who knows, maybe we'll get some answers.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, and what better way than a democracy that forces each MP to constantly curry favor with the majority of voters in his or hers riding out of the threat at being tossed at any given minute.

In our multiparty system, there will always be a majority who didn't vote for an MP.

Your suggestion is overly simplistic, unworkable, expensive, and you haven't responded to the reality I outlined above.

You do realize that we have had 4 referendums across 4 provinces and they have all failed. So much for being unnecessary and that we don't do referendums in Canada

I am not sure that a referendum can fail. It is supposed to be an attempt to gather citizen views on specific issues. It can be binding only if the government declares that it will abide by the results. I believe that the latest one in Ontario was set up to where it would require a 60% affirmative response to be considered by the government of the time - I believe it came in at about 55% or something like that and was not considered.

The wording of any referendum is crucial. Often it is worded in a way to achieve the results that the persons organizing the referendum.

How about a question like:, Rank which of the following electoral systems would you prefer: ......

Then list the systems and use the ranked system to find a "winner".

In our multiparty system, there will always be a majority who didn't vote for an MP.

Your suggestion is overly simplistic, unworkable, expensive, and you haven't responded to the reality I outlined above.

Contrasted with a system that would guarantee continual Minority Parliaments..............