Political morality and the Left/Right Divide

Argus

No, also based on disgust. The rest of the paragraph could as easily be picked apart but won't bother .

I recognize this as (same as eyeball) one of those posts that i should ignore, but I'll take the high road and give a realistic answer.

So, when Hillary (or the left leaning media) say's that Trump is gonna make people angry with his stance on muslims and when she says that Trump is being used as a recruiter for ISIL, the seed she is planting is that voting Trump will bring US more terror attacks. So, fear tactics. It may have been subliminal to someone like you, but the implication is purely fear based.

Same as Harper, "STOP HARPER"...stop him from what, we never did find out. Doesn't matter, the tone was to generate pure hysteria and it worked.

BTW - Trump hasn't said anything different than about 10 other western world leaders, his words are simply less polished than the others.

Edited by Hal 9000

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Link

This is another template. I definitely fall into what this chart shows as libertarian, however on ththe MLW site to suggest anything even remotely right or against the left gets you pushed to the right....far right.

Unfortunately, to react differently is very difficult. I suggest that each individual feels that he/she represents the average person so anything left of their thinking is left wing and anything right of their thinking is right wing.

It would save a lot of confusion if posters just stated their views rather than trying to designate other posters views as right or left.

But it is difficult to get people upset just because you disagree with them - it is easier to slag them by trying to label them.

I recognize this as (same as eyeball) one of those posts that i should ignore, but I'll take the high road and give a realistic answer.

So, when Hillary (or the left leaning media) say's that Trump is gonna make people angry with his stance on muslims and when she says that Trump is being used as a recruiter for ISIL, the seed she is planting is that voting Trump will bring US more terror attacks. So, fear tactics. It may have been subliminal to someone like you, but the implication is purely fear based.

Same as Harper, "STOP HARPER"...stop him from what, we never did find out. Doesn't matter, the tone was to generate pure hysteria and it worked.

BTW - Trump hasn't said anything different than about 10 other western world leaders, his words are simply less polished than the others.

You don't seem to understand how xenophobic comments about Muslims could well lead to a backlash from that community? And, there were lots of reasons to stop Harper. Trying to enact laws that contravened the charter is only one.

You don't seem to understand how xenophobic comments about Muslims could well lead to a backlash from that community? And, there were lots of reasons to stop Harper. Trying to enact laws that contravened the charter is only one.

I understand both of those points - very well, in fact. They are both opinions and irrelevant to the point i'm making - which you incidentally just proved and that is; The left engage in fear tactics as much, maybe more than people on the right.

Link

This is another template. I definitely fall into what this chart shows as libertarian, however on ththe MLW site to suggest anything even remotely right or against the left gets you pushed to the right....far right.

Yeah, the 'labeling' is kind of annoying, since I'm pretty sure most of us don't really fall into an absolute hard-line definition of either 'right' or 'left'.

But I have to ask - if you object to being stereotyped as 'right', why do you sport a signature line that is a swipe at those who consider themselves liberal?

Edited by dialamah

You don't seem to understand how xenophobic comments about Muslims could well lead to a backlash from that community?

You don't understand how reasonable and legitimate criticism of ugly, backward social values Muslims hold might cause them to slowly tone those values down and gradually lose them?

C'mon, you don't really believe that...do you?

Believe what you like but the point at which the game was lost was when Harper proposed the Barbaric Cultural Practices Act. That clearly evoked more disgust and probably even more amusement than fear. That's when Harper started looking like Trump, his followers started sounding like Tea Partiers and they still do.

I was asking if you believe the democrat's tactic that Trump makes the US less safe because of his words...or potential policies?

It seems pretty clear to me that Trump's policies will actually make the US more dangerous not less safe. Wait until Democrats twig to the unspoken appeal that has to many of his supporters and they start ramping up their war rhetoric too.

Fear is nowhere near being the ticket in this election that loathing is. I think ISIS sees this clearly too. They'll be the biggest winners no matter who wins.

Edited by eyeball

I was asking if you believe the democrat's tactic that Trump makes the US less safe because of his words...or potential policies?

His words quite obviously have likely ruffled more than a few feathers, and probably some who may not simply slough it off to him acting the buffoon. I doubt if he actually got to power he would be stupid enough to say, start building a wall and sending Mexico the bill. I suspect Americans will not be so foolish as to give him the chance to try.

It seems pretty clear to me that Trump's policies will actually make the US more dangerous not less safe. Wait until Democrats twig to the unspoken appeal that has to many of his supporters and they start ramping up their war rhetoric too.

Fear is nowhere near being the ticket in this election that loathing is. I think ISIS sees this clearly too. They'll be the biggest winners no matter who wins.

So, we know as fact that Hillary and the entire left wing media have clearly stated that Trumps rhetoric about muslims makes the US more dangerous and less safe - in their own words.

Yet, immigration has been a political topic with the mexicans for as long as I can remember - likely longer. What makes stopping immigration from muslims be more dangerous than stopping immigration of mexicans? Why has this fear of not allowing immigrants only come to light in 2015?

Either the democrats are lying about the dangers of Trump's ideas and trying to use that fear to sway votes or they're right and know that saying "no" to muslims is dangerous for westerners.

So, we know as fact that Hillary and the entire left wing media have clearly stated that Trumps rhetoric about muslims makes the US more dangerous and less safe - in their own words.

Yet, immigration has been a political topic with the mexicans for as long as I can remember - likely longer. What makes stopping immigration from muslims be more dangerous than stopping immigration of mexicans? Why has this fear of not allowing immigrants only come to light in 2015?

Either the democrats are lying about the dangers of Trump's ideas and trying to use that fear to sway votes or they're right and know that saying "no" to muslims is dangerous for westerners.

Not sure how you would propose to know what the entire media is saying so I'd be careful what you assume as fact. But beyond that, having immigration as a topic of political discussion is one thing, having a buffoon like Trump, who is stumping to become the POTUS, get up and discuss picking this group or that, hurling insults at them, discuss building a wall and forwarding the bill and stopping the groups access to the immigration process is something quite different. That kind of blather could tick people off, and that's a fact.

Not sure how you would propose to know what the entire media is saying so I'd be careful what you assume as fact. But beyond that, having immigration as a topic of political discussion is one thing, having a buffoon like Trump, who is stumping to become the POTUS, get up and discuss picking this group or that, hurling insults at them, discuss building a wall and forwarding the bill and stopping the groups access to the immigration process is something quite different. That kind of blather could tick people off, and that's a fact.

The entire media is saying it, everyone from MSNBC to The View to SNL...and even you - yes, you have said it.

We've had every president and every presidential candidate discuss immigration - specifically, how to stem the flow. And, we've never feared addressing it before, so why the fear mongering?

Why do you believe that Trump saying the same things as presidents back to the 60's and 70's said, (and many other world leaders of today have said) makes the US less safe

The entire media is saying it, everyone from MSNBC to The View to SNL...and even you - yes, you have said it.

We've had every president and every presidential candidate discuss immigration - specifically, how to stem the flow. And, we've never feared addressing it before, so why the fear mongering?

Why do you believe that Trump saying the same things as presidents back to the 60's and 70's said, (and many other world leaders of today have said) makes the US less safe

So I guess if you reckon everybody is saying it, why then do you seem to think it might not be true? It seems a little disingenuous to try and say high profile political figures spewing insulting comments wouldn't potentially cause some backlash. Discussing "stemming the flow" is not quite the same as calling Mexican immigrants rapists, and threatening to build a wall against them and then send the bill to their government. This kind of horseshit appeals to a certain brain dead segment of the GOP, and that's about it.

So I guess if you reckon everybody is saying it, why then do you seem to think it might not be true? It seems a little disingenuous to try and say high profile political figures spewing insulting comments wouldn't potentially cause some backlash. Discussing "stemming the flow" is not quite the same as calling Mexican immigrants rapists, and threatening to build a wall against them and then send the bill to their government. This kind of horseshit appeals to a certain brain dead segment of the GOP, and that's about it.

But, nobody said anything about Trump (and his words) making the US less safe when he was saying those things about mexicans. The fear mongering from the left only starting when he spoke of closing the border to muslims. Why was that?

But, nobody said anything about Trump (and his words) making the US less safe when he was saying those things about mexicans. The fear mongering from the left only starting when he spoke of closing the border to muslims. Why was that?

I suspect you have zero evidence that the insults hurled at Mexican's by Trump had any less effect that those directed at Muslims. The unfounded assumptions that come from the right seem numerous.

I suspect you have zero evidence that the insults hurled at Mexican's by Trump had any less effect that those directed at Muslims. The unfounded assumptions that come from the right seem numerous.

Exactly, but for some reason, the media and the left politicians have addressed both groups differently. I never made a distinction between what the mexicans might think/do and what the muslims might think or do - the media did, the leftie politicians did and you repeated it.

So, I ask again; are the politicians and media manipulating you with fear, or do they really believe muslims are a threat when told "no"?

Exactly, but for some reason, the media and the left politicians have addressed both groups differently. I never made a distinction between what the mexicans might think/do and what the muslims might think or do - the media did, the leftie politicians did and you repeated it.

So, I ask again; are the politicians and media manipulating you with fear, or do they really believe muslims are a threat when told "no"?

Let me remind you that the media don't make the news, they report it. Trumps comments were racist as well as stupid. The media has no control over how individuals might react.

Apparently the media has made you afraid. Oh well, don't think anybody thinks Trump has a snowball's chance in hell, so the fear will fade.

When you learn how to comprehend words that are strung together in a certain order, you'll see that I have never at any time expressed fear in what Trump has said. To the contrary, I'm arguing that if we aren't afraid of the mexicans, when will tell them no or deport them, then there seems to be no reason to fear the muslims, but the press and the left wing politicians are doing just that - campaigning on fear.

Here's a quote from "eyeball" - I don't know where he go such a silly idea but...."It seems pretty clear to me that Trump's policies will actually make the US more dangerous not less safe."