Canadians Solidly Behind Justin Trudeau

The refugees will not arrive per their verbal timeline.

Maybe we shouldn't have a low intelligence person who makes promises that are not feasible in charge.

What it seems to mean is no federal carbon tax.

Ya... Why go with the most economically efficient way to reduce CO2 emissions? That doesn't make any sense at all...

• Replies 268
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ya... Why go with the most economically efficient way to reduce CO2 emissions? That doesn't make any sense at all...

Provinces will be allowed to adopt their own systems. Some will choose cap and trade alla Quebec. Some will choose carbon taxes alla BC. Some will use technology alone without fiscal sticks.

I am not at all surprised that this liberal government headed by Trudeau is so popular and I have no doubt that its popularity will only increase with time and they will form another likely bigger majority next time. It is an open, accountable, honest, kind, hard working, honorable government totally in opposite to scandalist, corrupt, heartless, dishonorable former Harper regime.

Provinces will be allowed to adopt their own systems. Some will choose cap and trade alla Quebec. Some will choose carbon taxes alla BC. Some will use technology alone without fiscal sticks.

Go to Paris get a bunch of photo ops, sign an agreement and then tell the provinces, you figure it out. Who knew this PM shtick was so easy.

Looks like I may have been wrong about the total number, and the platform itself doesn't specify a time, while the letter to the minister says "in the coming months". Still, that doesn't jive with the verbal promise, so I guess I am corrected.

That's OK - lots of moving numbers and dates. I've been critically following this issue because of what I term the "recklessness" of this particular promise. You can't play around with security but more importantly, you can't play around with people's lives. It's so important that government-sponsored refugees have all of the support systems in place to allow them to be as successful as possible. The coordination of cities, provinces and support groups is vital - and cannot done at the expense of non-Syrian refugees who've been waiting in line for years. You need only refer to the election estimate of $100 million to understand how little they knew about what had to be done. That estimate is now well over $700 million - and does not include many of the Provincial/Municipal costs.

The only promise that matters is "electoral reform".

Trudeau wll ride the tide to get that passed, then he won't have to care about any polls, ever.

If the final decision results in a more representative government then what is wrong with that.

We have been discussing the various choices within my old cronies group (representing each party and philosophy) and the consensus is that preferential ballot or ranked voting system is far more representative than is the FPTP system.

If this system favours the party that runs towards the center then what is wrong with that? If it pushes the far left and far right out of the picture by favouring moderate thinking that reflects the majority of Canadians then what is wrong with that?

I have been reading a lot of posts here and on other theads re; Muslims and refugees.

What I do not understand is why those who do not want Muslims here are also critical of Trudeau and the Liberals for not getting them here fast enough.

What is it that you want?

You'd have to search long and hard on this board to find anyone who "doesn't want Muslims here". I can only speak for myself but all "I want" is to continue to shed light on what a reckless, irresponsible promise it really was - 25,000 government sponsored refugees by December 31st (now Feb. 28). It's this government's first attempt at establishing credibility - which they will need if we are to trust them on the planned deficits, the aboriginal file, and Climate Change commitments.

Go to Paris get a bunch of photo ops, sign an agreement and then tell the provinces, you figure it out. Who knew this PM shtick was so easy.

I think the goal of the federal government is to set targets and provide support through green infrastructure and transit infrastructure money as well as regulation. I would think that most people would be be in favour of an approach that lets each province consider its own needs.

I think you have to understand that in a federation, it's necessary.

It's not necessary. A national CO2 emission tax is very possible and Dion campaigned on it a few elections ago. Alberta and BC both have a $30 tax. People in other provinces such as Ontario and Quebec have pointed out that cap and trade is not the most efficient system.

But keep telling yourself that lie if you want to.

You'd have to search long and hard on this board to find anyone who "doesn't want Muslims here". I can only speak for myself but all "I want" is to continue to shed light on what a reckless, irresponsible promise it really was - 25,000 government sponsored refugees by December 31st (now Feb. 28). It's this government's first attempt at establishing credibility - which they will need if we are to trust them on the planned deficits, the aboriginal file, and Climate Change commitments.

Congratulations, it is refreshing to read that Keepitsimple has decided to welcome Muslims into Canada. Well done. It takes character to admit a change of mind.

Now if those other Islamophones can also change their mind then ...

Considering they made the promise before the Paris attacks and the upthrust mountain of concern over security that caused, they seem to be making some pretty credible adaptations to the circumstances.

Doesn't an ability to adapt this quickly to changing circumstances suggest they'll be good at dealing with future crises?

I think the goal of the federal government is to set targets and provide support through green infrastructure and transit infrastructure money as well as regulation. I would think that most people would be be in favour of an approach that lets each province consider its own needs.

It's really easy to set targets that someone else has to figure out how to meet. It's called not having a plan. I'm wondering what will happen when one or more provinces decide that their economy will take to much of a hit to meet a target they didn't set by a deadline they didn't set. It might not happen but I think it is likely.

I think the goal of the federal government is to set targets and provide support through green infrastructure and transit infrastructure money as well as regulation.

Except the targets have no connection to reality for a country with a rapidly expanding population. At some point in the future a government will have to renege on those promises. It is quite irresponsible for Trudeau to make promises when he is not going to be around to pay the price for breaking them.

Except the targets have no connection to reality for a country with a rapidly expanding population. At some point in the future a government will have to renege on those promises. It is quite irresponsible for Trudeau to make promises when he is not going to be around to pay the price for breaking them.

The current promises (the floor) have already been made. The reality is, no one is going to be able to get my without making promises and at least looking like they're trying to keep them.

Congratulations, it is refreshing to read that Keepitsimple has decided to welcome Muslims into Canada. Well done. It takes character to admit a change of mind.

Now if those other Islamophones can also change their mind then ...

That's a personal insult that is totally uncalled for - perhaps you can show me just one - one thing I've said that exhibits a phobia against Muslims - other than those extremists that completely sully the religion and their fellow Muslims.

By the way genius - with regards to your "Islamaphones"....... there is no common language for Islam.....nor are there telephones that are manufactured only for Muslims.

Considering they made the promise before the Paris attacks and the upthrust mountain of concern over security that caused, they seem to be making some pretty credible adaptations to the circumstances.

Doesn't an ability to adapt this quickly to changing circumstances suggest they'll be good at dealing with future crises?

No. Most if not all of the "adaptation" was due to the initial outlandish promise - which in itself risks that other promises may bring about similar chaos.

I have been reading a lot of posts here and on other theads re; Muslims and refugees.

What I do not understand is why those who do not want Muslims here are also critical of Trudeau and the Liberals for not getting them here fast enough.

What is it that you want?

Isn't it obvious? They want Stephen Harper back. :wub:

I would think that most people would be be in favour of an approach that lets each province consider its own needs.

The more parties there are, the harder it is to come to a global agreement. By splitting Canada into effectively 13 parties, you are making it harder to get a global agreement (a proper one, not the phony agreement at Paris).

It is less efficient. It has higher implementation costs and doesn't spread the mitigation burden broadly and evenly.

If this system favours the party that runs towards the center then what is wrong with that? If it pushes the far left and far right out of the picture by favouring moderate thinking that reflects the majority of Canadians then what is wrong with that?

Because then you have large segments of the population without representation. The point of a representative democracy is to represent the population.

If you don't support the idea of a representative democracy, then we might as well get rid of the house of commons all together and just elect a dictator every few years using a ranked ballot system (since we would save on government costs).

What I do not understand is why those who do not want Muslims here

Who believes this? Seriously, name me 1 Canadian, preferably a politician or someone on these forums.

I think the main criticism was that the idea of getting 25000 by the end of 2015 was dumb and it is concerning to have the leader of the country make dumb decisions without considering feasibility.