Trudeau's Committment to Syrian Refugees - 25,000 by Year End

So you reckon that if you're from Syria you can't/wont work, you will of course just go on welfare forever and require pubic funded housing and/or you will commit some type of heinous crime and go to jail. OK got ya. Now were you saying something about not having seen any racist comments around here for awhile?

I'm sure they'll work as hard as they feel needed in Canada. We do it right.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/9875954/Muslim-preacher-urges-followers-to-claim-Jihad-Seekers-Allowance.html

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Liberals continue to tweak their Syrian refugee plan. The latest is that problems have occurred due to delays in Turkey.

"As far as my understanding right now, the program (in Turkey) is not closed," Beauchamp told Stephenson. "But I know that people both from Global Affairs Canada and the Department of National Defence have been detached from the operation in Turkey and relocated in support of Lebanon."

Beauchamp said the government still hopes to bring some refugees to Canada from Turkey, but that he believes the new plan is to end the refugee efforts there in 2016.

"You still have refugees in the process (in Turkey) and my understanding is that they will be sending some refugees, mainly by commercial airlines, in the upcoming weeks before the 31st of December," he said. "But after that I believe that their program is closed."

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/refugee-delays-in-turkey-but-canadian-program-is-not-closed-commander-1.2708817

It appears Lebanon and Jordan will be the area of focus from now on. That should suit those two countries who desperately want other nations to lighten the financial and social burden caused by that influx of refugees into their country.

So you reckon that if you're from Syria you can't/wont work, you will of course just go on welfare forever and require pubic funded housing and/or you will commit some type of heinous crime and go to jail. OK got ya. Now were you saying something about not having seen any racist comments around here for awhile?

1st. Syrians are not a race.

2nd. My reasons why I don't believe Syrians will be economically successful have been given a number of times on this topic, and have been contradicted by NO ONE.

i agree...however one has to wonder if there would be as much "modifying" required if Trudeau would lead a little less with his mouth/heart and a little more with his head.

Considering the number of plans that the previous government was forced to modify (and the government before that, and before that) I don't think it's a valid criticism.

Considering the number of plans that the previous government was forced to modify (and the government before that, and before that) I don't think it's a valid criticism.

My observation wasn't meant to be relative to the previous government, however it would be hard to accuse the previous PM of leading with his heart. Many accused him of not having one.

My observation wasn't meant to be relative to the previous government, however it would be hard to accuse the previous PM of leading with his heart. Many accused him of not having one.

Her certainly had to change his mind many times. I would say he often led with his temper.

We all understand your reasons, but where are your facts to support?

Already posted numerous times on this topic, which you have been following for some time, though you have contributed nothing to it.

Edited by Argus

I'm certain no JT supporters will be upset about this.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2015/12/23/canada-could-miss-goal-of-10000-syrians-refugees-arriving-this-year.html

Canada’s immigration minister says 10,000 Syrian refugees will be “certified as Canadian permanent residents” by the end of this year, but there’s no guarantee that all of them will actually be in the country by then.

John McCallum said Wednesday he is “very confident” that a total of 25,000 refugees will be here before the end of February.

McCallum, who just returned from a trip to Jordan and Lebanon, said that 10,000 Syrian refugees will be processed for Canadian permanent residency by Dec. 31.

“The issue is whether all of those 10,000 Syrian refugees will have arrived in Canada, will have their feet on Canadian soil by Dec. 31,” McCallum told a news conference in Ottawa.

“I am convinced that by the end of the year, 10,000 or more Syrian refugees will be confirmed, certified as Canadian permanent residents.”

During the election campaign that brought him to power, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau promised that a Liberal government would bring 25,000 Syrian refugees to Canada before the end of 2015.

Some great promise breaking going on right now.

Edited by Boges

Poor John McCallum - he was asked to make the best of a reckless, impossible election "promise". He's a loyal soldier but the embarrassing litany of "target adjustments" has removed any credibility that he and the Liberals have sought to achieve:

First it was 25,000 by year-end.

Then it was 10,000 by year-end and 25,000 by Feb. 28 - but it would now include privately-sponsored refugees.

Then an admission that the target of 25,000 government-sponsored refugees would not be met until the end of 2016 - or more.

So how many Syrian refugees will actually be in Canada by December 31? Try less than 2500. Regardless, Ol' John continues to blather of about meeting the overall target "well before the end of February"! Ya........right.

Oh......and now we'll be taking in 50,000.

As of Dec. 21, 1,869 refugees had landed in Canada. Three more flights carrying Syrian refugees are scheduled to land before Dec. 31.

However, McCallum said he is “confident” that Ottawa will meet its overall target to resettle refugees “well before” the end of February.

Link: http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/mccallum-says-10-000-syrian-refugees-won-t-arrive-in-canada-by-year-end-1.2711724

Edited by Keepitsimple

Again, just to set the record straight, you want more refugees faster?

Don't you? Liberal supporters were calling Harper heartless because he wanted to welcome 10,000 refugees. Now JT can't even meet that goal.

I guess JT supporters just like meaningless platitudes and promises he has no intention of keeping.

I found this interesting:

But he told reporters at a press conference in Ottawa that factors beyond the government's control, including the weather and refugees wanting to say goodbye to friends and families, may not make it possible to meet the goal of 10,000 refugees in Canada by year's end.

It reminds of a similar report from the BBC a few months ago:

Growing numbers of Syrian refugees in Jordan are returning to Syria, figures from the UN refugee agency UNHCR show.

Almost 4,000 refugees returned to Syria in August, double the number for the previous month.

Some are attempting to go home to live, while others plan to sell assets to raise money for the journey to Europe, refugee agencies say.

If its safe enough to return to Syria to sell their belongings prior to moving to Europe, and that said refugees are able to tolerate said camps enough to delay their "rescue" to Canada to have going away parties, is there an actual rush to bring them here? It would seem, sending additional aide to said camps to improve the conditions, over there, should be considered an option.......

Don't you? Liberal supporters were calling Harper heartless because he wanted to welcome 10,000 refugees. Now JT can't even meet that goal.

I guess JT supporters just like meaningless platitudes and promises he has no intention of keeping.

I wouldn't know I'm not a JT supporter. Nor am I an opposition supporter. I recall the times I was called naive and told to grow up when I complained about the broken promises of the opposition when it was in power.

And yes, as I'm assuming you do from your concern about broken promises, I think we need to take in a lot more refugees.

Edited by eyeball

Harper made a few claims, and then did nothing. Although that should be no surprise to anyone.

Harper made a few claims, and then did nothing. Although that should be no surprise to anyone.

Seems JT isn't taking his claims seriously either.

Why make a promise no one thinks you can keep unless he knows his base just responds to meaningless platitudes and all will be forgiven. Unless of course he knows that his supporters won't care how many promises he breaks.

So just to set the record straight you want more refugees faster?

Nope. Just holding them accountable for their centerpiece election promises. A responsible, continuous inflow of fully-vetted, well-supported refugees is something that most Canadians would welcome. On this one, they simply blurted out numbers with no connection to reality. 25,000 government sponsored refugees by December 31 has proven to be a few hundred at best. As I mentioned previously, this recklessness will next rear its head in their commitment to meeting all 94 of the T & R committee - without any analysis, feasibility or costing. And then we get to Climate Change - what knee-jerk commitment will be made there? Will we see another Chretien Kyoto - except this time we'll actually have to pay through the nose?

Listen - we're stuck with these guys for at least another 4 years so for Canada's sake, I hope they do well - and Canada does well. But other than a lot of pie-in-the-sky aspirations, this government is not off to a promising start.

Seems JT isn't taking his claims seriously either.

Why make a promise no one thinks you can keep unless he knows his base just responds to meaningless platitudes and all will be forgiven. Unless of course he knows that his supporters won't care how many promises he breaks.

The flight due in yul today will put the number over 2k, with at least 3 more flights due by year end. There are a lot of cogs in the wheel in this operation, but at least we are seeing some action. Splitting hairs over dates is just the right desperately trying to get back at JT for kicking their butts.

I think the criticism is entirely valid given that Trudeau got up on his high horse, lifted his chin, and told everyone that Harper had no heart to only want to bring in 10,000 by the end of next year. He, Trudeau, and his party, were the party of caring, sharing, smiles and rainbows, who welcomed all, and he would bring in more than twice as many and do it with the snap of his fingers. Why? Because they cared more. Because they had bigger hearts than those nasty, suspicious, heartless tories.

You expect us to ignore it when his self-righteous posturing is exposed for what it is?