Canada and the 14B weapons deal to Saudi Arabia

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi-arabia-armoured-vehicle-deal-canada-stephen-harper-1.3244290

The issue of whether Canada should be involved in such a deal with a country with a poor human rights record carried forward Friday. Conservative Leader Stephen Harper, as he did the night before, defended the $15-billion deal that Canada helped secure last year, under which the London, Ont.-based manufacturer General Dynamics Land Systems will sell armoured vehicles to Saudi Arabia.

There are economic benefits that come with this deal, sure. But at what expense? We are delivering weapons to a nation that exports a lot of terrorism. Terrible human rights records, and yet we complain when Russia sells weapons to Syria. What a double standard. We are essentially on board with them and their corrupt ways and oppression of people.

Why would this deal be approved when we know how bad Saudi Arabia is? What is the benefit to us assisting in oppressing other people while exporting weapons to terrorists?

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/saudi-arabia-armoured-vehicle-deal-canada-stephen-harper-1.3244290

There are economic benefits that come with this deal, sure. But at what expense? We are delivering weapons to a nation that exports a lot of terrorism. Terrible human rights records, and yet we complain when Russia sells weapons to Syria. What a double standard. We are essentially on board with them and their corrupt ways and oppression of people.

Why would this deal be approved when we know how bad Saudi Arabia is? What is the benefit to us assisting in oppressing other people while exporting weapons to terrorists?

Because it's not a matter of good or bad, like so many people have been brainwashed to believe.

The reality is , it's us against them.

Who's side are you on? You're own or theirs? As soon as you look at it from that perspective you no longer are in conflict with yourself.

Ultimat good and ultimat bad doesn't exist.

As long as they are NATO's allies.

Your question should be more along the line of; should they be NATO's allies.

Edited by Freddy

Conservatives hate Muslim extremists. Except when they don't.

Oh but I heard Harper say in an interview just recently say how "we have from time to time expressed our outrage over human rights abuses in Saudi". So there, take that King Salman. Now, let's sign that contract. I wonder if we have any guillotines we could sell them?

Who's side are you on?

Assuming there is any intelligence in the "us vs them" question (which I don't), a better question might be "Whose side is Saudi Arabia on?" It's a repressive theocratic dictatorship that has puritanical Wahabbi sect schools. Most of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. There are persistent reports that 911 funding came out of Saudi Arabia. ISIS is a Sunni movement and Sauds are Sunni as well. Are we really to believe that there is no support for ISIS coming from Saudi Arabia?

Assuming there is any intelligence in the "us vs them" question (which I don't), a better question might be "Whose side is Saudi Arabia on?" It's a repressive theocratic dictatorship that has puritanical Wahabbi sect schools. Most of the 9/11 hijackers came from Saudi Arabia. There are persistent reports that 911 funding came out of Saudi Arabia. ISIS is a Sunni movement and Sauds are Sunni as well. Are we really to believe that there is no support for ISIS coming from Saudi Arabia?

Maybe the fact they are such a big player with the oil market it simply is not in our best interest to have them as anything else but our allies.

Would having Saudi's buy their weapons from China and Russia be better? They will get weapons reguardless that we make them or someone else. There is a sneak peak of the bigger picture.

They may even be picking Canada because they know we are hurt from the oil price drop. Use your imagination.

Stop thinking in a strictly moral sense. The world is not black & white

Edited by Freddy

Maybe the fact they are such a big player with the oil market it simply is not in our best interest to have them as anything else but our allies.

Would having Saudi's buy their weapons from China and Russia be better? They will get weapons reguardless that we make them or someone else. There is a sneak peak of the bigger picture.

They may even be picking Canada because they know we are hurt from the oil price drop. Use your imagination.

Stop thinking in a strictly moral sense. The world is not black & white

Doesn't take a lot of imagination to understand the Saudi's helped create the oil price drop.

The Saudis have been good customers in the past for Canadian made light armour....almost 2,000 vehicles. This is just a bigger contract.

They will buy weapons regardless that we make them our not. All the bleeding harts will waste their time feeling guilty. Personally I won't lose any sleep over it. I welcome the extra export in a time when we can use it.

They will buy weapons regardless that we make them our not. All the bleeding harts will waste their time feeling guilty. Personally I won't lose any sleep over it. I welcome the extra export in a time when we can use it.

Agreed...Canada beat out several European competitors (and allies) that would have gladly signed the deal. All this domestic human rights hooey is just for the political circus.

Well sleep well knowing that the weapons you sold are being used to murder thousands of people.

I will, because they will buy those weapons regardless that it's from us or someone else. We will benefit from the trade, and from that, some good will come from it.

I can't stand bleeding harts like you.