Refugee Crisis - Harper puts Obama to Shame

The Obama Administration has just announced that they will take in 10,000 Syrian refugees over the next year. That's right - a country 10 times the size of Canada can't even match us. How's that for perspective? If Harper's "lack of action" is "shameful" - what do we say about Obama? Do you think the media will pick up on it?

Josh Earnest, the White House press secretary, said in a briefing Thursday that while the administration was continuing to examine responses to a refugee crisis that has overwhelmed Europe in recent days, the president has decided to raise the number of Syrian refugees admitted to at least 10,000 in the fiscal year beginning in October from fewer than 2,000 this year.

Link: http://www.nytimes.com/2015/09/11/world/middleeast/obama-directs-administration-to-accept-10000-syrian-refugees.html?_r=0

He's the best president ever though! At least according to some in the forum. When he's power hungry, side stepping the constitutional process, consolidating more power for the executive branch, and picking and choosing what federal law not to enforce, they ignore it or make excuses. But Harper is Stalin!

He's the best president ever though! At least according to some in the forum. When he's power hungry, side stepping the constitutional process, consolidating more power for the executive branch, and picking and choosing what federal law not to enforce, they ignore it or make excuses. But Harper is Stalin!

Well the huge feminist lobby is in full momentum right now in Canada pushing their propaganda. There are no limits to the level of stupid they will twist & spin to get Harper out.

Edited by Freddy

So how badly will Harper miss these new targets by? His government is so inept that they couldn't even meet previous, much lower targets.

Well there is no use running a deficit on the immigration department right??? Harper gives them a budget and if they can reach their target with it too bad.

Or are you suggesting we should run deficit on a federal department that lets in immigrants? Personally that sound really stupid. But I bet it's been done by the Liberals plenty of times.

Obama is hardly the first president to try to accrue power to the Executive. In fact, two of the most lauded presidents; Lincoln and FDR, did far more to consolidate power in the executive than Obama ever has.

Whether Obama is a great president or not is something that I doubt anyone will be able to reasonable tell for some time to come. But my opinion is that while isn't the best President there ever was, he's far from the worst.

Well there is no use running a deficit on the immigration department right??? Harper gives them a budget and if they can reach their target with it too bad.

Or are you suggesting we should run deficit on a federal department that lets in immigrants? Personally that sound really stupid. But I bet it's been done by the Liberals plenty of times.

You do know that we aren't dealing with immigrants, don't you?

In a crisis, there may be additional funds allocated to dealing with it. That seems fairly common sense.

Try to keep your partisan political bickering inside Canada....the U.S. doesn't give a damn how many refugees or emigres Canada does or does not land... until they try to cross the border. President Obama is not facing re-election.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

You do know that we aren't dealing with immigrants, don't you?

In a crisis, there may be additional funds allocated to dealing with it. That seems fairly common sense.

If the department are constantly unable to achieve goals set maybe we should start blaming the department. I mean. Two hours of work a person everyday is not enough when your paying them for 40 a week. Trim that fat slow government worker down.

If you think throwing unlimited money at a department will help them achieve their goal. I'm definitely not voting for you

Edited by Freddy

If the department are constantly unable to achieve goals set maybe we should start blaming the department. I mean. Two hours of work a person everyday is not enough when your paying them for 40 a week. Trim that fat slow government worker down.

If you think throwing unlimited money at a department will help them achieve their goal. I'm definitely not voting for you

Please provide a cite that lazy government workers are the reason why the Harper Government didn't meet its refugee targets. You're talking out of your butt.

Why did past governments do so well at helping refugees in other crises? Workers were less lazy?

That's simply nonsensical.

The refugee issue has been front and center in our domestic politics.....yet when I raised this Topic in Federal Politics, the moderator transferred it to Canada/US Relations with no explanation. The topic was raised to show that no matter how much criticism the Tories have taken, they have been ahead of Obama every step of the way and when viewed in the perspective of what the US has not done, our approach seems pretty darn good. Since the Left in Canada are clearly in love with Obama - look for this to be another "move along, nothing to see here". An explanation from the Forum Monitor would be nice.

Edited by Keepitsimple

The refugee issue has been front and center in our domestic politics.....yet when I raised this Topic in Federal Politics, the moderator transferred it to Canada/US Relations with no explanation. The topic was raised to show that no matter how much criticism the Tories have taken, they have been ahead of Obama every step of the way and when viewed in the perspective of what the US has not done, our approach seems pretty darn good. Since the Left in Canada are clearly in love with Obama - look for this to be another "move along, nothing to see here". An explanation from the Forum Monitor would be nice.

OK.... the American response sucks and so has ours.... Obama sucks... Harper sucks... happy?

How the Americans deal with it won't come up on a Canadian discussion forum quite as much as our own response. I don't recall discussing the Swedish response either.

OK.... the American response sucks and so has ours.... Obama sucks... Harper sucks... happy?

How the Americans deal with it won't come up on a Canadian discussion forum quite as much as our own response. I don't recall discussing the Swedish response either.

Well it definitely should.......

It's called "perspective". As an example, the Left sings the praises of Obama on Climate Change. Even though he's done it all with smoke and mirrors, they compare his "actions" with whatever Harper does - or doesn't do......referring to Canada as an embarrassment. Where is the reverse outrage and condemnation of the refugee issue?

Please provide a cite that lazy government workers are the reason why the Harper Government didn't meet its refugee targets. You're talking out of your butt.

Why did past governments do so well at helping refugees in other crises? Workers were less lazy?

That's simply nonsensical.

Harper has cut budgets to all federal departments for the last 10 years. He calls it cutting red tape. I call it cutting on lazy workers that do nothing all day. It's long over due and I'll keep voting Harper for the next 35 years if that's what it takes to ride the government of all those useless people sucking on our government tit, working 2 hours a day getting payed 40 a week.

I live in Ottawa. I know many of them personally. They tell me how it is in their offices. It a embarrassment.

Harper has given the order to do as much with less every year since he was elected. That's code talk for less workers doing the same amount of work as many useless ones

Edited by Freddy

So no cite from Freddy...

And Simple says Obama bad = Harper good...

LOL

Oh man... what a conversation!!

Ok, how bout a cite that government workers work hard. It is common knowledge they are lazy as hell. I'm surprised you didn't know. But go ahead. Find us proof government workers produce more for less then private sector workers. Please and thank you.

Oh boy, you really walked into that one. What a conversation indeed. Let's take some performance charts out and argu about how lazy government workers are.

My guess is one hard worker could replace 4 government workers. And I'm being modest. Harper calls it cutting red tape. I just call it laying off useless people.

Edited by Freddy

Ok, how bout a cite that government workers work hard. It is common knowledge they are lazy as hell. I'm surprised you didn't know. But go ahead. Find us proof government workers produce more for less then private sector workers. Please and thank you.

Oh boy, you really walked into that one. What a conversation indeed. Let's take some performance charts out and argu about how lazy government workers are.

My guess is one hard worker could replace 4 government workers. And I'm being modest. Harper calls it cutting red tape. I just call it laying off useless people.

You made the claim that lazy gov't workers were the cause of the Harper Government not meeting its refugee quota. Back it up.

While you're at it, back up your 4-1 claim...

I never made any claims.

Do you not get that you have to back up claims when you are trying to debate an issue?

You made the claim that lazy gov't workers were the cause of the Harper Government not meeting its refugee quota. Back it up.

While you're at it, back up your 4-1 claim...

I never made any claims.

Do you not get that you have to back up claims when you are trying to debate an issue?

I don't see the point, any research, stats, chart, can be manipulated to prove opposing views. Instead I choose to base everything on solid fundamentally logical foundations. Any work force that is so thoroughly protected like our government workers, will learn to manipulate the system for their own advantage, and will take advantage of that security at a higher rate then ,workers who faces constant chances of being held accountable and being sent home. It's simple human nature.

If you need a cite for something as simple as this, I'm afraid you aren't worth wasting time discussing with. Sorry

Edited by Freddy

If you need a cite for something as simple as this, I'm afraid you aren't worth wasting time discussing with. Sorry

Actually, you have it backwards. If you read the rules, you are expected to back up statements like that. It's actually pretty specific, so you should be able to either explain where you got it from, or assert that you were just guessing.

Actually, you have it backwards. If you read the rules, you are expected to back up statements like that. It's actually pretty specific, so you should be able to either explain where you got it from, or assert that you were just guessing.

Based on logic of human nature, well protected government workers with many benefits like payed sick days among other things will produce less in general then a work force who is easily held accountable for their poor performance.

Go ahead disprove this logic.

Based on logic of human nature, well protected government workers with many benefits like payed sick days among other things will produce less in general then a work force who is easily held accountable for their poor performance.

Maybe. But that's a theory - you need an example, and specifically an example that shows that this is the specific cause of the refugee program stalling - which is your claim right ?

Do you want to retract it instead ?

Go ahead disprove this logic.

Again - you have it backwards. The rules are explicit - the onus is on the claimant to prove the claim, not anyone else.

Go to the rules, or the moderation thread to discuss further, please. We're drifting the thread now.

Lets get real here... It is quite easy for every country to embrace refugees from Syria because of the brutality. But where is the same compassion for refugees for Palestinians, Latinos, or even American whistle blowers trying to escape persecution? Any leader can do what is popular, but the great leaders do what is right. And using Obama as a standard of measure is a mistake to begin with. Norway, Sweden and Denmark are the countries I most admire for embracing ALL legitimate refugees. America is lucky if they eve make the top 10.

Edited by Go.Leafs