Sep 17 leaders debate

hitops

I liked this one better than the first, it was less forced and cheesy. The moderator on the side like another debater was weird though.

Tonight Mulcair was good. Not creepy like last time, he seemed earnest and genuine. Not an angry uncle either. Harper was slightly better no gaffes. He was the most substantial and gave answers with some depth and hit all the facts he needed to to rebut the others. Trudeau I would say most improved, definitely less goofy but still tons of platitudes and "we support puppies and love" style appeals. At least not as bad as last time. He seems to want look into your eyes and hope you know he cares.

I'd say close between Mulcair and Harper but I'd give it to Mulcair on style and approach, with Trudeau last.

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a huge supporter of the LPC pre-Igantieff, I want to like Trudeau so badly. I want to forgive him about C-51 and give him another chance.

Then I watch him in the debates and he's such a pompous ditz. I figured he would have been advised after the last debate not to interrupt so much but he comes across so entitled. Everything seems to be about him.

I know so many life-long LPC supporters who are jumping ship. I don't know what the LPC was thinking.

As a huge supporter of the LPC pre-Igantieff, I want to like Trudeau so badly. I want to forgive him about C-51 and give him another chance.

Then I watch him in the debates and he's such a pompous ditz. I figured he would have been advised after the last debate not to interrupt so much but he comes across so entitled. Everything seems to be about him.

I know so many life-long LPC supporters who are jumping ship. I don't know what the LPC was thinking.

Goodale is my MP and would have been a far better choice. He doesn't speak French well though, so I hear. Garneau also much better.

I'm completely biased, but I honestly thought Mulcair killed it. No more of that smarmy, forced smile. He was on point with concrete policies. I think he did about as well as he could in a key debate that's normally thought of as the NDP's weak spot.

Agreed but I have to say Harper wasn't bad either - probably because he is a pathological liar who believes his own lies. At times I could see how he could seem convincing to people who don't follow politics in-between elections.

In my opinion, it seemed as if this was a Trudeau-Mulcair debate, with Harper watching and talking a bit........I think Trudeau looked desperate in his attacks against Mulcair. Inversely, Mulcair was able to get his licks in against Trudeau well sounding like an adult. Harper was Harper, he appeared to be enjoying himself (His emotion chip is clearly working)

I think the focus of both the NDP and Liberals, against each other, was a result of internal polling, indicating both parties know they have to dethrone the other before going after the Tories if they have a hope of winning this election.

I actually like the moderator. He's preventing it from turning into the usual screaming match, asking good follow up questions, and forcing the candidates to actually answer the question posed instead of just always talking points.

I don't know, he basically told Harper he was terrible and asked what he was going to do about it towards the end.

Didn't watch the debate. Both the host of the debate, Harper and Mulcair demonstrated their anti-democratic nature by not including May.

I don't bother watching anti-democratic authoritarians debate.

The Greens aren't even at official party status in the house. She doesn't belong there. Edited by Canada_First

It doesn't matter. You either believe in Democracy or you don't.

Democracy lost with that debate.

As for the Greens they now have multiple MPs in the House of Commons. There is not even a shred of justification for denying their presence in the debates.

"She doesn't belong there."

Polls have shown that May is the most respected parliamentarian in Canada and won an award for this.

To suggest the most respected parliamentarian in Canada and head of a party shouldn't be in the debates is absurd.

Edited by G Huxley