• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sure, but, then again, words are pretty important. Selecting decriminalization implies that I prefer the approach of the NDP, when I actually prefer the approach of the Liberals and deplore the approach of the Conservatives.

You're fooling yourself if you think the Liberals will legalize pot. They're deliberately trying to capitalize on the fact that people don't know the difference between legalization and decriminalization.

I do too. The reason being - I already sell one, so I'm guessing I'd be allowed to sell the other.

If you're looking at the Washington State model, you'd be guessing wrong. Very few places that have applied for it have actually been allowed to sell pot.

You're fooling yourself if you think the Liberals will legalize pot. They're deliberately trying to capitalize on the fact that people don't know the difference between legalization and decriminalization.

I would expect that they'll treat it just like alcohol, letting the provinces regulate most things about it after removing criminal penalties related to it.

If you're looking at the Washington State model, you'd be guessing wrong. Very few places that have applied for it have actually been allowed to sell pot.

Oh I think pretty well everyone knows the difference. And there are 334 pot licenses in Washington state. Trudeau has clearly said legalization.

Just wanted to point out that cigarettes and alcohol are still controlled. They would fit under free possession, regulated sale and production.

You can make your own booze and if you truly can't grow your own tobacco it's probably more for reasons closer to those driving policy around things like dairy boards and other favoured coddled economic sectors.

There's no reason for the 'nanny state' to not make money off of this.

Didn't say there wasn't. The thing is I'm quite certain the nanny-state will ensure everyone pays through the nose for the crappy quality bunk they licence Big Weed Inc. to grow and sell. And they'll do so under all the conservative scaredy-pants pretexts they normally revile nanny-states for.

And of course the irony will be utterly lost on you.

I'm still not convinced that the definition in the poll is correct. Washington State has legalized marijuana. There are still regulations, but it is legal to buy.

As I understand it in Colorado people can grow for their own personal use. It needs to be pointed out the state receives sales tax from the things people use for growing.

I believe in Washington State you are forced to buy it.

Washington state did not legalize marijuana. It's still a controlled substance, under the same authority that polices alcohol. Only businesses licensed and regulated by the Washington State Liquor Control Board can sell pot, and only under the conditions dictated by the board. Possession of pot not obtained according to the regulations is still prohibited, as is smoking weed in any public space.

http://time.com/2955024/washington-where-to-buy-pot/

From the article

So how much will the legal weed cost?

Store owners likely to be licensed have said that they’re aiming to sell their weed for about $12 per gram, but those prices may range up to $25 per gram.

Is that before or after taxes?

:lol:

I doubt the bikers will be going out of business anytime soon.

Washington state did not legalize marijuana. It's still a controlled substance, under the same authority that polices alcohol. Only businesses licensed and regulated by the Washington State Liquor Control Board can sell pot, and only under the conditions dictated by the board. Possession of pot not obtained according to the regulations is still prohibited, as is smoking weed in any public space.

http://time.com/2955024/washington-where-to-buy-pot/

Which when you boil it all down means it's legalized.

I think they do intend to legalize it, by the definition of "legalize" that I and ReeferMadness and Smallc and the authors of RM's link all use and understand. No one says that alcohol is decriminalized but not legalized. There are all sorts of regulations on dairy products in Canada but no one says that they are decriminalized as opposed to legalized.

I think they do intend to legalize it, by the definition of "legalize" that I and ReeferMadness and Smallc and the authors of RM's link all use and understand. No one says that alcohol is decriminalized but not legalized. There are all sorts of regulations on dairy products in Canada but no one says that they are decriminalized as opposed to legalized.

Put simply, decriminalized means that something becomes unlawful but not illegal. Legalizing takes away the unlawful part but can often have conditions. Like alcohol, like tobacco, etc.

Abortion was legalized. There are no regulations whatsoever around it.

Hmmm I'm pretty sure an abortion clinics can only perform abortions on demand for the first 13 weeks so that's a form of regulation.

Besides, it's government healthcare. Not exactly free enterprise.

Agreed. For a minute I felt ignorant on the subject but I'm glad many of you pointed out the discrepancy.

Nothing is really legalized in the sense CC is using the term.

Sure, but, then again, words are pretty important. Selecting decriminalization implies that I prefer the approach of the NDP, when I actually prefer the approach of the Liberals and deplore the approach of the Conservatives.

Is the approach that you prefer not explained in the responses?