• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine if the feds tried to get into enforcing their law, the courts would end up swamped until eventually the SCOTUS would side with the states and the only winners would be lawyers, again.

I understand the SCOTUS has already sided with the feds when it comes to national vs state legislation. However, it's one thing to have the legislative authority. It's quite another to use that legislative authority on a state where the local population has clearly expressed its wishes. The Republican base has a lot of states rights activists so it remains to be seen whether a Republican president would really expend political capital by pushing this issue.

Are you saying you think Wa. state hasn't legalized pot?

That's exactly what he's saying and as proof, he linked an article that repeatedly says that pot is legal in the state of Washington. And then, when I called him on it, he said that the authors of the article that he linked to prove his point don't know what they're talking about.

It all makes perfect sense.

:blink:

Really? Can you perform one?

No. Nor is that relevant.

Guns are legal in Canada - subject to limits and regulations.

Alcohol is legal in Canada - subject to limits and regulations.

Prescription drugs are legal in Canada - subject to limits and regulations.

See how that works?

All of those things are illegal in various circumstances. See how that works? Edited by cybercoma

I understand the SCOTUS has already sided with the feds when it comes to national vs state legislation. However, it's one thing to have the legislative authority. It's quite another to use that legislative authority on a state where the local population has clearly expressed its wishes. The Republican base has a lot of states rights activists so it remains to be seen whether a Republican president would really expend political capital by pushing this issue.

What I find indicative is that it's been ~3 years since Wa. and Colo. passed their law and so far nobody has bothered to challenge it. Of course they could have Donald as the next pres. and then who the hell knows what fun we might see.

So now I'm curious. What is your position on marijuana and which party best represents that position?

I'm for regulated production and sale. No restrictions on personal consumption and personal crops under a small number of plants. Edited by cybercoma

No. Nor is that relevant.

All of those things are illegal in various circumstances. See how that works?

You're making up your own language, here. And using it in a way that is inconsistent with the way the parties use it and the way that it's commonly used.

If someone from a distant country inquired whether alcohol was legal in Canada, would you really answer "no, it's just decriminalized"?

I'm for regulated production and sale. No restrictions on personal consumption and personal crops under a small number of plants.

So, your position is consistent with the Green Party and the Liberal Party.

Both of whom are on the record as supporting legalization.

Edited by ReeferMadness

That's exactly what he's saying and as proof, he linked an article that repeatedly says that pot is legal in the state of Washington. And then, when I called him on it, he said that the authors of the article that he linked to prove his point don't know what they're talking about.

The article DOES prove what I'm saying. It details all of the ways that pot is controlled, and all of the ways that using, buying or growing it is still completely illegal.

It's legal so long as you are 21 or over.

There are more regulations that that.

You can't smoke in any public place. You can't grow it yourself. You can't sell it without a license. You can't take it out of state. You can't buy as much as you want. No edibles are allowed. etc, etc.

he has given us clear options if we overlook the terminology.

Sure, but, then again, words are pretty important. Selecting decriminalization implies that I prefer the approach of the NDP, when I actually prefer the approach of the Liberals and deplore the approach of the Conservatives.

Edited by Smallc