• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"Decriminalization. Regulated industry. Fines for unlicensed sale and production. Free possession."

Seems to me to be the only workable balance between allowing adults to make their own decisions about these kinds of things, and keeping them out of the hands of children.

Edited by Bryan

Just wanted to point out that cigarettes and alcohol are still controlled. They would fit under free possession, regulated sale and production.

I know I realized that after I voted and I read Bryan's post. I agree it should be controlled to a point, but people also do make their own alcohol and I don't see a problem with it.

More or less. Alcohol and tobacco sales and production are regulated. It's illegal to sell alcohol without the proper licensing, as it is to produce it (there's some wonky rules around home brewing). Possession of alcohol and tobacco is not illegal, although it is strictly controlled, which I didn't mention in the survey. It's not illegal to be in possession of these things, but even that's regulated. You can't have a liquor container in your car--it has to be in the trunk. You can't smoke in many places, etc. Completely legalization means none of those things would exist. Any store could sell alcohol and tobacco and anyone could produce it, as if it were any other material good that you buy.

So, I voted legalization because I consider alcohol legal and I like the regulation approach. On your model, it looks like should have chosen decriminalization.

With respect, I don't agree with the model as it's laid out. I consider alcohol a legal, regulated product, not a decriminalized, regulated product.

Obviously I don't know enough about this because I thought we decriminalized in the 90's but we still are unable to buy pot unless it's medicinal.

That's part of the point I'm making here. That there are various levels of "decriminalization" from cops just ignoring small possession and still arresting for large possession, trafficking, and production, up to licensed retailers. Legalization is the absence of any laws related to pot. Edited by cybercoma

So, according to that alcohol is decriminalized, not legalized.

I don't profess to be an expert but I don't think that your definition follows how Trudeau and Mulcair mean it in their policy statements.

That is correct. Alcohol and tobacco are decriminalized, namely from prohibition status for the former.

I don't profess to be an expert but I don't think that your definition follows how Trudeau and Mulcair mean it in their policy statements.

Yeah, that's not how I've ever understood "legalized" vs "decriminalized". By this definition, virtually nothing is legalized since there are laws of some sort pertaining to almost everything. I thought "decriminalized" meant that something is no longer listed as a criminal offence but could still be regarded as a civil offence.

Edited by Evening Star

But I'm not selling it on the market. I grow my food, eat my food, give it away, or trade it to others.

True, so I guess what it comes down to is a government revenue issue because you're never going to get rich selling your fruit at the farmer's market but you could potentially by growing weed.

That's part of the point I'm making here. That there are various levels of "decriminalization" from cops just ignoring small possession and still arresting for large possession, trafficking, and production, up to licensed retailers. Legalization is the absence of any laws related to pot.

Thank you for explaining. People refer to alcohol as legal but in political terms I guess it's not.

I couldn't find anything on the Liberal Party website but I did find this petition.

And it says this:

The Liberal solution is clear: If we pass smart laws that tax and strictly regulate marijuana, we can better protect our kids, while preventing millions of dollars from going into the pockets of criminal organizations and street gangs.

It sounds like what you call decriminalization is what the Liberals (and I) are calling legalization.

I can't find anything on what the NDP mean by decriminalize it.