.......there are now over 4 million Syrian refugees, with numbers expected to continue to grow......

since I didn't get a bite the first time, let me ask you: care to guess/estimate how many of those Syrian refugees are actually refugees from the earlier Iraq war... are a part of the 1 million refugees that fled Iraq and settled in Syria? Apparently, illegal invasions have consequences!

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It doesn't have to "equate to" what's going on in Syria. It only has to be bad enough that someone fleeing the area could legitimately be called a refugee. And that could certainly be the case for refugee applications now being processed from Ukraine, for example. And anyway, stuff could happen again in the future, so there's no sense adopting a policy against accepting refugees from Europe.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that Canada has a duty to take refugees at all, but if we do take refugees, I see no sense in restricting it to only certain parts of the world. Any refugee claim should stand on its own merit, not on the basis of its continent of origin.

Well good thing we don't have such a policy.........as anyone, from any nation, can apply for refugee status in Canada.

since I didn't get a bite the first time, let me ask you: care to guess/estimate how many of those Syrian refugees are actually refugees from the earlier Iraq war... are a part of the 1 million refugees that fled Iraq and settled in Syria? Apparently, illegal invasions have consequences!

I've no idea , but between Syria and Iraq there are over 10 million displaced people.

The same people that lit the match. I'm not defending the actions of the United States in this regard?

You said this:

We didn't create this problem. To be technical, the problem existed long before the US got involved even.

I'm not sure that's true. It would depend on how you define the problem and whether you're talking about all of the US involvement.

I'm not sure that's true. It would depend on how you define the problem and whether you're talking about all of the US involvement.

The problem existed from the time of the creation of Iraq (before that actually). This is just the latest iteration.

It not a distraction at all, but a change in Government rules for asylum seekers, resulting in the decrease in refugee claimants for Canada.

who knew! The reason for such reduced Harper Conservative refugee resettlement/asylum numbers... is... a decrease in the number of claimants! Who knew!

We didn't create this problem. To be technical, the problem existed long before the US got involved even.

No one said there weren't problems before, but there's a ton of outright denial that many of the deeper darker parts of the quagmire are clearly the result of the inhumane venal manner by which the US and it's allies did get involved. I mean c'mon, Bastions of law and order and Shining Beacons of liberty getting together to knock off nascent democracies, and right in front of the commies no less?

To imply we're simply dealing with issues left over from Medieval times is ridiculous.

And still the majority of people live in terrible conditions. It does nothing to fix the problems at their root, and is like putting a bandaid on a broken arm.

Dude, nobody is saying we need to do one thing and not the other. We should be working to improve their conditions. That's a long-term solution. In the short-term we need to help people escape from the hell they woke up to this morning. More importantly, any long-term solution needs to be headed by them and for them with our assistance. It should not be us imposing on them what we think is best. We've done that for hundreds of years and it never works out for the people we're supposedly "saving" from themselves.

From your quote.

It called for immigration to be increased to eventually bring Canada's population to 100 million. While it found that the economic benefits to Canada of immigration were fairly small, the benefits to the newcomers themselves were extremely large.

These people seem to think it's okay to make Canada an overpopulated hellhole of 100 million people, with huge cities crowding out farmland and forests in order to benefit the foreigners we bring in. In other words, they think the immigration system is a giant world welfare program designed to help other people.

So what's in it for us? Massive traffic jams. Huge pollution problems. Chaotic cultural problems and violence. And we're supposed to do this why exactly?

Edited by Civis Romanus sum

Well said Rue but the issue of values and customs is an issue no one wants to talk about. As someone else said, I'd be pretty scared if I thought 800,000 religious conservatives where to come here. Prior to this no one wanted to talk about the African Muslim migrants invading Europe, there have been pictures in a camp where they rioted because someone supposedly tore a Koran.

They have riots in the UK and France, and even Sweden. The Swedes have been moronic and have been bringing in tens of thousands of Muslims. The result of putting together Swedish girls with Muslim men who think you're a whore if you show your ankle is they have the highest rape rate on earth.

If our government now says we should accept 10,000 refugees from Syria should we then accept 20,000 Palestinians?

There are almost twice the number of Palestinians as a result of Israeli policy as there are Syrian refugees.

There are twice as many Palestinian refugees because of Arab policy. What would you do if we brought Syrians here and stuck them in refugee camps and kept them there for 70 years? Would that be okay with you? Most of those 'palestinians' in Arab countries have never been to the Palestinian territories. They were born in Egypt, Syria, Lebanon and Jordan, but they have no right to be citizens there.

Edited by Civis Romanus sum