And that was all held together by a brutal dictator. When he left, no matter how he left, chaos did/would ensue.

He left because the US declared (an illegal) war. Ad they had o idea what they were doing other than how to drop bombs. No understanding of the actual politics. Then when they left, they left a ton of heavy duty war materiel, which ISIS is now driving around in.

• Replies 852
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And that was all held together by a brutal dictator. When he left, no matter how he left, chaos did/would ensue.

oh my! Please... let's keep your revisionism of the Iraq war out of this thread! Oh wait... care to take a guess on how many of those current Syrian refugees are actually Iraqi's that initially fled the US/UK illegal invasion of the sovereign state of Iraq?

perhaps you might be inclined to read the following review on that self-serving Harper Conservative press release you think means something:

Canada Fails the Test of a Good Society

Ok, I read it........an opinion piece by a human rights activists, that compares "human rights violations" in the EU to that of African and Asian nations.......let me know when Europeans start hacking and burning alive other Europeans or hundreds of thousands of European children dying from starvation..........

oh my! Please... let's keep your revisionism of the Iraq war out of this thread! Oh wait... care to take a guess on how many of those current Syrian refugees are actually Iraqi's that initially fled the US/UK illegal invasion of the sovereign state of Iraq?

I don't condone that action. The area was always a powder keg waiting for someone to drop a match.

Ok, I read it........an opinion piece by a human rights activists, that compares "human rights violations" in the EU to that of African and Asian nations.......let me know when Europeans start hacking and burning alive other Europeans or hundreds of thousands of European children dying from starvation..........

Relativism - the new evil from the far left.

clearly... you didn't read it! "Human rights abuses are not tied to any particular continent."

Well, it's only been 70 short years since one of the worst "human rights violations" of human history ended in Europe. On a smaller scale, Kosovo was much more recent. And presumably even in the last year, many people in the Ukraine may have had legitimate cause to flee the area. Besides the major events, hatred and discrimination against various minority groups (including historical ones like Jews and Roma) in Europe continues to this very day. If Canada is gonna be taking in refugees, I don't see anything wrong with allowing ones from Europe.

clearly... you didn't read it! "Human rights abuses are not tied to any particular continent."

By all means contrast the ongoing abuses within the EU, abuses that equate to more refugee claimants form Europe than Africa and Asia combined.......I guess for some, the loss of pension benefits or refusal of work permits equate to ethnic cleansing in Syria, Iraq or Sudan, or starvation throughout Africa.....

By all means contrast the ongoing abuses within the EU, abuses that equate to more refugee claimants form Europe than Africa and Asia combined

Yeah, the fact that there might be claimants from Europe isn't the problem. It's that they were becoming the primary source.

I don't condone that action. The area was always a powder keg waiting for someone to drop a match.

like I said, please keep your revisionism of the Iraq war out of this thread!

By all means contrast the ongoing abuses within the EU, abuses that equate to more refugee claimants form Europe than Africa and Asia combined.......I guess for some, the loss of pension benefits or refusal of work permits equate to ethnic cleansing in Syria, Iraq or Sudan, or starvation throughout Africa.....

I can't say it any better than member Bonam did just a few posts back! You clearly have a most short-sighted understanding of what countries make up Europe and relatively recent events!

I can't say it any better than member Bonam did just a few posts back! You clearly have a most short-sighted understanding of what countries make up Europe and relatively recent events!

The recent events in Hungary that would cause them to be the #1 claimant source must have slipped my mind.

Well, it's only been 70 short years since one of the worst "human rights violations" of human history ended in Europe. On a smaller scale, Kosovo was much more recent. And presumably even in the last year, many people in the Ukraine may have had legitimate cause to flee the area. Besides the major events, hatred and discrimination against various minority groups (including historical ones like Jews and Roma) in Europe continues to this very day. If Canada is gonna be taking in refugees, I don't see anything wrong with allowing ones from Europe.

Sure, but that was in the past, name but one ongoing humanitarian crisis that equates to the goings on in Syria and Iraq.......there are now over 4 million Syrian refugees, with numbers expected to continue to grow......a figure equating to the entire populations of European countries like Ireland, Norway or Finland......

..........Make no mistake, leaving ISIS unchecked, allowing it to grow throughout the region, will result in millions more displaced or killed prior to the natural cessation of the conflict.

And you know that how exactly? The "war on terror" has been going on almost 3 times as long as WWII. It's cost hundreds of thousands of lives and cost trillions of dollars. It's destroyed the infrastructure of two countries - now they're working on the third.

So.... tell me again how we can't afford to help refugees.

The recent events in Hungary that would cause them to be the #1 claimant source must have slipped my mind.

perhaps you should think first... see Roma applicants... see long history of applicants from Hungary being denied! Apparently, you and D2.0 don't recognize the distinction between applications and successful applications! :lol: Notwithstanding, of course, it made for handy Harper Conservative propaganda to demonize refugees, at large, abusing the Canadian welfare and health care systems!

Sure, but that was in the past, name but one ongoing humanitarian crisis that equates to the goings on in Syria and Iraq.......there are now over 4 million Syrian refugees, with numbers expected to continue to grow......a figure equating to the entire populations of European countries like Ireland, Norway or Finland......

It doesn't have to "equate to" what's going on in Syria. It only has to be bad enough that someone fleeing the area could legitimately be called a refugee. And that could certainly be the case for refugee applications now being processed from Ukraine, for example. And anyway, stuff could happen again in the future, so there's no sense adopting a policy against accepting refugees from Europe.

Anyway, I'm not convinced that Canada has a duty to take refugees at all, but if we do take refugees, I see no sense in restricting it to only certain parts of the world. Any refugee claim should stand on its own merit, not on the basis of its continent of origin.

perhaps you should think first... see Roma applicants... see long history of applicants from Hungary being denied! Apparently, you and D2.0 don't recognize the distinction between applications and successful applications!

Apparently you don't see how that would tie up the system and waste the time of applicants that actually might need help.

....Anyway, I'm not convinced that Canada has a duty to take refugees at all, but if we do take refugees, I see no sense in restricting it to only certain parts of the world. Any refugee claim should stand on its own merit, not on the basis of its continent of origin.

Indeed....seems that all the current refugee excitement has more to do with domestic politics.