Manspreading

If the guy isn't taking up more than his seat space it isn't manspreading. Damn, this is stupid. People are actually caring about how citizens sit on on a train? Don't you guys have better things to do? I mean honestly...why not go solve world peace or something useful. If the atomic bomb drops in North America will we really care if a guy sits with his legs open on a train or not? Lets get some perspective please.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hard to tell from that pic. He does seem to be bumping up against the guy next to him. There's no reason to be so splayed out, especially on the Underground, which has pretty narrow seats.

He's sitting at an angle with his torso in the corner of the seat, he isn't inconveniencing those around him. The guy beside him is likely 'manspreading' as well.

The first pic seems to be, but again, it's hard to tell from that angle. The second one definitely is since the guy is actually taking up two seats.

If both of these cases there aren't enough people around them for them to be inconveniencing anyone because there is excess seat space. Not to mention their knees are basically shoulder length apart.

If the guy isn't taking up more than his seat space it isn't manspreading.

I don't think anyone would disagree. Except Euler who needs a precise numerical measurement agreed upon by the appropriate international standards body to even consider the possibility.

He's sitting at an angle with his torso in the corner of the seat, he isn't inconveniencing those around him. The guy beside him is likely 'manspreading' as well.

You're making a lot of assumptions based on one crappy photo. Point is: there's no reason to sit like he is there.

If both of these cases there aren't enough people around them for them to be inconveniencing anyone because there is excess seat space. Not to mention their knees are basically shoulder length apart.
More assumptions. The guy next to the spreader in the first photo looks pretty compacted into his space, while the second photo guy is preventing anyone from sitting beside him by occupying the centre of two seats. On a busier train, that's just asshole behaviour.
Anyway, you don't need to actually inconvenience people to be manspreading, but when you inconvenience people while manspreading, that's when it gets annoying and worthy of comment/criticism/shame.
Edited by Black Dog

I understand that more men do it than women because, well, if women did it as much, there'd be no issue with doing it. There are many things men do more than women, but we aren't allowed to say fireman, we say firefighter or fire person. We even say fisher person now.

I still say the manspreading phenomena is an act of aggression. The mostly women who complain about it, have a clear point to make that a lot of young guys need to stay in their own spaces in a crowd.

As for language....however that connects....doesn't it get the message across about gender inequality, that our language and culture has been by default male oriented? i.e. male god with a son...the goddesses that were traditional for fertility in pre-patriarchal religions totally erased. Male pronouns that don't fit when jobs and titles are taken by women etc..

So, because a few changes had to be made to acknowledge an increasing role for women in society, you see that as some sort of attack on your freedoms and/or privileges! It's sort of similar to the white backlash to desegregation and civil rights in the U.S.. Back when Americans could have an honest conversation about race, a lot of middle class and lower whites were offended that any changes would have to be made to what they grew up with as the norms: separate bathrooms, fountains, schools, hotels, segregated neighbourhoods, being forced to sit at the back of the bus etc..

So, you've never noticed it before, but now that a feminist group pointed it out you do see it - and not only that, they tell you that it's a power thing, testosterone, intimidating, forcing their will etc...and you buy in hook, line and sinker.

You've actually gone from not noticing it at all to clearly intimidating. WoW!

I'm sure I noticed it before; that's why the stories with pictures resonated in the first place. I just hadn't heard the complaints before, because most women feel intimidated and don't want to cause a scene. Once I was aware of the issue, then it became clear that although this is a minor issue in the grand scheme of things, it's something that should not be tolerated. And part of dealing with it is raising greater public awareness about the problem.

How do you know this is the intention of these males? Do you also possess the SJW ability to read minds as well?

It's not mindreading. And if you are clueless about how to read people's body language and facial expressions, you better not be living in the average city!

If they are just clueless and have just copied what their friends do etc., they won't be offended if they're asked to make some space. If they are, then my original assessment stands.

So, is it wrong because it's an inconvenience or because it's a form of male dominance?

Both. My sideline interest in anthropology...especially paleoanthropology, informs me that male domination of society and culture is neither traditional in the long view of history, nor is it hardwired into us! Because our origins were in societies that required close cooperation between men and women of an extended family group, and male domination is a phenomena that occurred in recent millennia when patriarchs were able to control food production and distribution.

So, I have an overall dismal outlook on what you have considered progress; because western civilization has been unbalanced and dysfunctional right from the start. And in this crowded, polluted, resource depleted world we find ourselves in, restoring the gender balance is an essential part of saving our future generations from extinction.

This small issue is just a small part of that, but I think most issues....regardless of how seemingly inconsequential, intersect with each other for better or worse.

What exactly are you looking for? A precise measurement? :rolleyes:

Everyone (except apparently you) knows what it means: when someone spreads their legs far apart so as to take up more than their allotted space and/or interfere with other passengers' space. Not sure why you are continuing to play dumb on this point or why a precise definition even matters at all.

Because unless he can plug the information into a formula, things don't really make sense to him.

It's not mindreading. And if you are clueless about how to read people's body language and facial expressions, you better not be living in the average city!

There is a difference between having an ability to infer someone's emotional state based on their body language, and deluding yourself into thinking you have the ability to read the minds of an entire group of people (including those you haven't met) to the point where you convince yourself that you know some hidden motive for the behaviour of 'manspreading'

Edited by -1=e^ipi

I guess it could be for men. Sometimes, though, it's for - and you're gonna want to be sitting down here - herself.

Ok, so if a woman can present herself in a way that has nothing to do with men, wouldn't you agree that how a man presents himself may have nothing to do with women?

I think we can all agree that it's not about space at all - it's about pushing the thumb down on men...as always.

Feminists are intimidated by how some men sit and naturally want them arrested for the act. Personally, I think if someone is that easily intimidated, maybe they should check on their own emotion stability.

No. I don't think we can agree on your feminist-hating agenda at all.

But we can agree that it's not about space - right?

I have just measured myself, and outside arm to outside arm, i'm 23 inches. Now, overspreading my legs to have 16-17 inches in between legs (which seems to be about what the pictures show), leaves me at about 24-25 inches outside knee to outside knee. So, we're talking about 2 inches wider than my shoulders. If I sit with a 15 inch gap between my knees, i'm bang on 23 inches (the width of my shoulders.

So, why are guys getting arrested on empty(ish) subways?

Because SJWs won't be happy until every man on earth is castrated!

I've seen people spread out sleeping on subways and busses - no outrage there!?

Those people should be decapitated on the subway and have their heads hung from the doorway as a warning to others.

Fat people also take up a lot of space on a bus.

But posting photos of people fatspreading would be a form 'fat-shaming', something that SJWs are dead set against.

Now posting photos to shame people that are 'manspreading' is totally acceptable and even encouraged by SJWs.