Truth and Reconciliation... Legitimacy

That's the best that you have? Arrest people who are long since dead? Dig them up maybe? Almost all the abuses occurred prior to 1970 - that was when the Churches ran the schools. The youngest of the clergy would be pushing 90 years old. You're saying that will make both sides happy and allow everyone to get on with their lives? Great. Just great.

At least what I got makes a bit more sense than your idea of digging up dead people up to charge them. If that's the best excuse you can come up with for continuing to withhold the truth, better dig deeper.

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you want to apply the term to every abuse of every minority group then just about everyone in history has been guilty of genocide, proably including every single native band. Most certainly the Iroquois were guilty of multiple genocidal attacks and behaviours.

Thus it's moronic to demean and degrade the word. The only people who insist on it are so wrapped up in anti-western ,anti-capitalist extremist ideological beliefs their only real interest is in condemning society, not in righting or exposing wrongs.

That is quite the scathing description of the criminal code of Canada.

To many people on this board that think ,once harper is gone the world will be a peaceful place where everyone gets along. It is this thinking why NDP'er are laughed at. And let say tom gets in, with in 1 yr, this country will be in shambles.

You haven't even bothered to look that up yet?

<sigh>

The police wouldn't release those records to the TRC.

Court case to follow.

Look, if you have such evidence, why are you holding out? Can you here repeat some incident(s) for my sake (and others) here that indicates particular criminal cases and prosecutions to individuals (not simply the accuser's accusations)? ....that is, as opposed to demanding that I look elsewhere. (Note that I've downloaded and skimmed through the report and still have no indication of crimes other than accusations without qualifications.) Do you not think that people would be more encouraged to read if they had a hint to hard evidence on these cases?

[That is why I compare this to a religious person demanding that I don't qualify to determine the validity of a God to have written the Bible without first reading it from beginning to end. (Ironically, I've actually read more scripture than most of these same believers -- they simply prefer to believe but want to pass the onus away from them.]

At least what I got makes a bit more sense than your idea of digging up dead people up to charge them. If that's the best excuse you can come up with for continuing to withhold the truth, better dig deeper.

Like I said - your suggestion to arrest people who are almost all dead makes no sense at all - and yes - you'd have to dig them up to put your plan in action (that's sarcasm in case you didn't get it the first time). As for withholding the "truth", it's been coming out in ugly blobs for decades - and apologies have come from our government, the Vatican and the RCMP. Now we have a Truth and Reconciliation report that is due this year. How much more "truth" will it take before we all can move forward?

Like I said - your suggestion to arrest people who are almost all dead makes no sense at all - and yes - you'd have to dig them up to put your plan in action (that's sarcasm in case you didn't get it the first time). As for withholding the "truth", it's been coming out in ugly blobs for decades - and apologies have come from our government, the Vatican and the RCMP. Now we have a Truth and Reconciliation report that is due this year. How much more "truth" will it take before we all can move forward?

There were a number of those schools that closed between the mid seventies all the way up to 1996. Could well be many people who are not almost dead. But in any case, lets just have a look at the police reports.

There were a number of those schools that closed between the mid seventies all the way up to 1996. Could well be many people who are not almost dead. But in any case, lets just have a look at the police reports.

Yea, that's right, the schools that closed in 1996 are the same as the ones that operated 50 or 100 years before, you don't actually believe that right? You can't possibly, as in, no one approaching rational, could believe that.

Yea, that's right, the schools that closed in 1996 are the same as the ones that operated 50 or 100 years before, you don't actually believe that right? You can't possibly, as in, no one approaching rational, could believe that.

First of all you haven't done much research if you think all the abuse ended 50 years ago. But what is even more ridiculous is to think that child abuse should have a shelf life. Good grief.

So if less children got needles pushed through their tongue for speaking their native tongue in the latter years, we should just ignore it then.

I would almost guarantee you that none of that happened in the later years.

Don't know why you seem to insist that cries are less significant the more recently they were committed. Here is one of the boys.

http://www.theinquiry.ca/wordpress/accused/charged/mcintee-father-harold-mcintee-omi/

Did you...read your link? That wasn't about residential schools. You're flailing.

Now there is a deflection if ever Ive heard one.

Sexual abuse happened in religious institutions. That's not a new story. The fact that this guy in particular abused a range of children says that this was just one of those cases. There was nothing particular about residential schools for this abuser.

Edited by Smallc

Sexual abuse happened in religious institutions. That's not a new story. The fact that this guy in particular abused a range of children says that this was just one of those cases. There was nothing particular about residential schools for this abuser.

Religious institutions were tasked with running these schools in case you forgot. Perhaps you are religious and want to protect your church.

Religious institutions were tasked with running these schools in case you forgot. Perhaps you are religious and want to protect your church.

Perhaps I'm an atheist. Perhaps I'm not looking for the same thing you are. The latter schools were not compulsory, and did not come with any special aboriginal directed abuse.