NDP Make Big Move in Latest EKOS Poll

OTTAWA - Canada's left-leaning New Democratic Party (NDP), which stormed to victory in a provincial election in conservative Alberta this month, has vaulted from third to first place in national support, a public opinion poll showed on Thursday.

The NDP displaced the Liberals in the 2011 election as the official opposition to the governing Conservatives, but the Liberals have been ahead of the NDP in most national polls since Justin Trudeau, son of former Prime Minister Pierre Trudeau, became Liberal leader in 2013.

The new survey by polling company Ekos puts the NDP at 29.2 percent support, the Conservatives at 28.6 percent, and the Liberals at 27.6 percent. Ekos said the results are preliminary with more details coming later.

Being competitive with the Liberals is critical for the NDP as it vies to be the main alternative to the Conservatives, led by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, in the Oct. 19 federal election.

Link: https://ca.news.yahoo.com/canadas-left-leaning-democrats-jump-national-lead-poll-152402047--business.html

• Replies 519
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The poll may end up being an outlier - or the start of a trend. It was inevitable that the NDP would start chewing into the Left flank of the Liberals as Trudeau continued to stumble - but this poll may be showing that the Conservatives are not completely safe either. Reminds me of the old PacMan game with Mulcair and the NDP chugging around gobbling up Red and Blue voters. Interesting times.

Regardless, it's probably just a bump from the Alberta election. I will be very surprised if they stay out ahead. However, Trudeau has done irreparable harm to his party by not only bringing in Eve Adam and Bill Blair, but also and more importantly supporting C-51.

As a boomer, I've voted Liberal and PC, federally, and I believe we need to try out as many parties as we can and since the Liberals, PC and now the reform conservatives have had their shots at it, why not the NDP? I like Justin, but I think he needs more time and with the leader of the NDP having been at the provincial level and now the federal, I can't see why not. Tom has shown leadership in the House and being a lawyer give him an edge. Will others thinks the same way only election day will tell, but I do know, Canadians can't keep a party in power, when Harper is the leader.

I don't care about gaffes. That's gutter politics. I care about the decisions he makes.

Honestly, the things you come out with, as if those gaffes aren't a reflection of his abilities to make those decisions. Nor is it 'low' to pint out those obvious failings, leading the country isn't a preschool soccer tournament where everyone gets a participation ribbon.

Honestly, the things you come out with, as if those gaffes aren't a reflection of his abilities to make those decisions. Nor is it 'low' to pint out those obvious failings, leading the country isn't a preschool soccer tournament where everyone gets a participation ribbon.

Empty rhetoric.

When conservative Alberta can elect NDP, anything is possible. The problem at provincial and federal levels is that the voter does not feel they are being listened to and their voice is being ignored. Harper is a pompous and hypocritical leader who has made a complete 180 in policies he had as the Reform leader. Politicians must be accountable to the people and as a longtime conservative, I think a drastic change is needed. Do as we wish or you are thrown out and maybe new and different ideas can send us in a more positive direction.

Don't get me wrong, I fear overspending and hope the other parties realize most Canadians would agree with me. I think more progressive ideas are needed to help move us forward in a global economy through diversification and educational opportunities. Being more technology driven and less dependent on natural resources, especially oil, is how Canada can become a major player. I love what Germany, Sweden and Norway have done and I think we should take the best from their successes. The PCs had best watch out because their reign that has been filled with corruption and controversy may end. It is a hard call, because Canadians have a hard time changing once they go into the ballot box. I hope the country will take what we in Alberta have done and punish the conservatives for their ignoring our wishes.

Regardless, it's probably just a bump from the Alberta election. I will be very surprised if they stay out ahead. However, Trudeau has done irreparable harm to his party by not only bringing in Eve Adam and Bill Blair, but also and more importantly supporting C-51.

I agree it's just a bump. It will go back down for the NDP well before the election but maybe not to quite as low as it was. Having NDP support (or conservative support loss) in AB is a significant blow to the CPC, they obviously get quite a few seats from that prov.

I don't think many people seriously care about Eve Adams or Bill Blair, in fact Blair could be a gain for them since the CPC wanted him too. C-51 is interesting. Surprising the Liberals voted for it, but to me they only supported it so that Harper's CPC's can't say Trudeau/Liberals are "weak on terrorism" during the election. Typical Liberal opportunist move, the party still has little moral conviction. For me, that really turns me off, not to mention them actually voting for it in the first place.

Canadians are more left leaning than most think in my opinion.

WWWTT

As a boomer, I've voted Liberal and PC, federally, and I believe we need to try out as many parties as we can and since the Liberals, PC and now the reform conservatives have had their shots at it, why not the NDP? I like Justin, but I think he needs more time and with the leader of the NDP having been at the provincial level and now the federal, I can't see why not. Tom has shown leadership in the House and being a lawyer give him an edge. Will others thinks the same way only election day will tell, but I do know, Canadians can't keep a party in power, when Harper is the leader.

Being a lawyer is a big turn off for me actually.

WWWTT

This poll result underlines the vulnerability of an aging gov't increasingly marked by single theme measures - constant legislation designed to line the pockets of the well off which seriously beggars the middle class. Conservatives are an inch away from releasing a ground swell of disgusted Canadians voters whose sense of fair play has been violated once too often..

The poll may end up being an outlier - or the start of a trend. It was inevitable that the NDP would start chewing into the Left flank of the Liberals as Trudeau continued to stumble - but this poll may be showing that the Conservatives are not completely safe either. Reminds me of the old PacMan game with Mulcair and the NDP chugging around gobbling up Red and Blue voters. Interesting times.

Without a doubt, and I'm not the least surprised with these numbers, and would expect the NDP to continue gain at the Liberals (and now Greens) expense, which will entail further flight of Red Tories to the CPC......as I said back in 2013:

A few months ago I was certain we’d see the Trudeau Liberals displace the NDP as the official opposition, but it seems once Trudeau really starts opening his gab and out farts rainbows and unicorns, it will ultimately be up to Mulcair to lose his current title……Flakiness alone, Trudeau would be a better fit as leader of the NDP flying circus, well the more grown-up Mulcair, the moderate centrists in the Liberal Party.

I find great solace in the fact that a Trudeau will be the final nail in the coffin of the Liberal Party of Canada.

As a boomer, I've voted Liberal and PC, federally, and I believe we need to try out as many parties as we can and since the Liberals, PC and now the reform conservatives have had their shots at it, why not the NDP?

I don't consider the NDP a viable option because for all of my life they've focused their attention on improving the well-being of particular population segments which don't happen to include me. They want to help the disabled, the poor, women, minorities, immigrants, gays and lesbians, and for all I know midgets and mermaids. They sure as hell don't have any interest in straight, white middle class men except to impose more rules on our behaviour and to tax us more to improve the lot of all those other segments.

Canadians are more left leaning than most think in my opinion.

WWWTT

Until you tell them you're going to increase their taxes. You know, the NDP and Liberals have both been highly critical of the Tories for lowering the GST. But neither of them is willing to say they'll raise it up again.

This poll result underlines the vulnerability of an aging gov't increasingly marked by single theme measures - constant legislation designed to line the pockets of the well off which seriously beggars the middle class. Conservatives are an inch away from releasing a ground swell of disgusted Canadians voters whose sense of fair play has been violated once too often..

I thought Harper should have resigned at the end of last year. I still think he should, though there really isn't a lot of time now to put distance between him and the party, even with a much more likable and reasonable sounding (ie, Jason Kenney) guy in charge.

I find great solace in the fact that a Trudeau will be the final nail in the coffin of the Liberal Party of Canada.

You and Harper both, except there's the thing... if all that's left is the Tories and the NDP then the NDP WILL eventually get elected, no question. The Tories will get too many people pissed off and they'll turn to the only alternative. So watch out what you wish for, you might get it.

You and Harper both, except there's the thing... if all that's left is the Tories and the NDP then the NDP WILL eventually get elected, no question. The Tories will get too many people pissed off and they'll turn to the only alternative. So watch out what you wish for, you might get it.

A de facto two party system has been the plan for over 20 years.......I've no doubt this will result in two differing parties, both with a then solid ~40% base, vying for the ~20% undecided middle. In turn, we'll have two parties, slightly left of center and slightly right of center, but with differing key principles that will force the undecided to choose, well further marginalizing the fringes of each party.........

Of course, pre 1967, this was what we largely had with the then Progressive Conservatives and Liberals, but the Liberal party let itself to be put on the path of self destruction with the leadership of PET, creating a party with but no principles expect governance.

Thats not to say I'd welcome an NDP government as is, I find them both kooky and dangerous, but I do believe they feel what they propagate is in the best interests of Canada, hence principles. With that though, once the Tories regain a majority this Fall (much like how the NDP came to Government in Alberta ;) ), the political left will be forced to merge with the remainder of the Liberals, and with that (as mentioned), center/center-right "classic liberals" will move to the Tories, resulting in the Tories moving slightly to the political center (Here is where I expect the religious right and social conservatives to be further marginalized)..........

So yeah, the eventual new NDP will form Government one day, but I'd rather these principled kooks than the Liberals........

I don't consider the NDP a viable option because for all of my life they've focused their attention on improving the well-being of particular population segments which don't happen to include me. They want to help the disabled, the poor, women, minorities, immigrants, gays and lesbians, and for all I know midgets and mermaids. They sure as hell don't have any interest in straight, white middle class men except to impose more rules on our behaviour and to tax us more to improve the lot of all those other segments.

How about mental midgets.