Hillary Rodham's Youtube Video

You don't need to ask such things, as I have answered you: America leads. You also accepted the concept, so no need to be amazed anymore. Just like I'm no longer amazed by (EDITED) the wonders that I witness from our neighbours to the south !

No...I really do need to ask. Why would Canadians consume American campaign ads ? I could superficially assume that even those dreadful American campaign spots are more entertaining than Canada's best state controlled broadcasting, or maybe domestic campaign ads are even worse/more boring than the American ones. There is no way for me to know since Canadian campaign advertising doesn't have a large American audience.

The American election is more than a year away from Canada's own federal election in October, but more attention is paid to Hillary Clinton and the other American candidates just announcing their candidacy (see earlier threads for Sen. Ted Cruz or Ron/Rand Paul).

Odd.....

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Entertainment value, learning value... many reasons....

As I have explained, you are the leaders so it's a good idea to watch these things.

OK...so do you watch the Canadian ads plus the American ads, or a smaller subset of each ?

I'm trying to picture this from an ignorant, inferior Yankee perspective....I don't even want to watch state campaign ads from Wisconsin or Iowa, let alone a world leader like Canada. Then there is the bilingual thing to make it even funnier.

What about Mexican ads...they just stole a car plant from Ontario !

OK...so do you watch the Canadian ads plus the American ads, or a smaller subset of each ?

Both. Or at least I DID, when I used to watch TV ads. I PVR everything now, so ads look weird to me. I was also way ahead of my time in clamouring for "American ads"... I put up rabbit ears to watch the Superbowl direct from Buffalo before it was popular.

I'm a Canadian liberal who loves America. I'm your worst f**** nightmare ! :D

I'm trying to picture this from an ignorant, inferior Yankee perspective....I don't even want to watch state campaign ads from Wisconsin or Iowa, let alone a world leader like Canada. Then there is the bilingual thing to make it even funnier.

I don't think ads are ever bilingual. There are no bilingual TV channels so... Probably billboards in Montreal are bi-.

I don't think ads are ever bilingual. There are no bilingual TV channels so... Probably billboards in Montreal are bi-.

What about the SAP language sub-channel.....or that funny gal doing sign language for the hearing impaired on CPAC ?

'Murican sign language (ASL) for "Canada" is two fist thumps to the right chest/breast, as in the RCMP always getting their man.

What about the SAP language sub-channel.....or that funny gal doing sign language for the hearing impaired on CPAC ?

Rest assured that you're the only one on the planet watching that.

'Murican sign language (ASL) for "Canada" is two fist thumps to the right chest/breast, as in the RCMP always getting their man.

You can have our Maple Syrup, and we'll consume your amazing products too.

Note, I don't love each and every product of America.

Rest assured that you're the only one on the planet watching that.

Right...so kinda getting back on topic.....since you watch so much 'merkin media including political campaign ads, they seem quite normal and routine to you. Hillary and Bill have been your political TV characters for decades, right ?

I, on the other hand, have not seen much in the way of Canadiana advertsing, so it still seems quite...ummm....foreign !

I do remember seeing a snippet of Canadian debates....what a Gong Show (sorry, that reference is 'merkin too).

.....since you watch so much 'merkin media including political campaign ads, they seem quite normal and routine to you. Hillary and Bill have been your political TV characters for decades, right ?

Yessir.

I, on the other hand, have not seen much in the way of Canadiana advertsing, so it still seems quite...ummm....foreign !

Somehow I doubt that. If you are watching CPAC, you're clearly cheering for the other team.

I do remember seeing a snippet of Canadian debates....what a Gong Show (sorry, that reference is 'merkin too).

Let me guess... you look like Gene Gene the Dancin' Machine ? (RIP)

Edited to add: I also read Chuck Barris' book.... before the movie came out.

Yessir.

Somehow I doubt that. If you are watching CPAC, you're clearly cheering for the other team.

We only get CPAC once in a blue moon for C-SPAN filler. I am fascinated by the awkward switches between French and English. Is the sign language inset multilingual too ? Hard to tell...but still funny !

Anywho....that's what I am going with. Canadians have been watching American political figures and its media for so long, it is quite natural to happily watch some more as each campaign cycle unfolds. You can see the rhythm of each American cycle right here on MLW....like clockwork. Campaign ads, debates, primaries, polls, voter registration, campaign financing, etc.....nothing escapes the sharp eyed Canadian political consumer.

How the hell is poor ex-'merkin Elizabeth May suppose to compete with that ?

We only get CPAC once in a blue moon for C-SPAN filler. I am fascinated by the awkward switches between French and English. Is the sign language inset multilingual too ? Hard to tell...but still funny !

Sign language is universal, I think.

Anywho....that's what I am going with. Canadians have been watching American political figures and its media for so long, it is quite natural to happily watch some more as each campaign cycle unfolds. You can see the rhythm of each American cycle right here on MLW....like clockwork. Campaign ads, debates, primaries, polls, voter registration, campaign financing, etc.....nothing escapes the sharp eyed Canadian political consumer.

You'll never know what it's like to live next door to a giant.

Her fake campaign has already started.

Campaign staff DROVE 'ordinary' Iowans to Hillary's first campaign stop - including health care 'lobbyist in training' who was an Obama campaign intern and Biden chauffeur

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3040482/Campaign-staff-DROVE-ordinary-Iowans-Hillary-s-campaign-stop-including-health-care-lobbyist-training-Obama-campaign-intern-Biden-chauffeur.html#ixzz3XQ58RWbG

How the hell is poor ex-'merkin Elizabeth May suppose to compete with that ?

Let me translate this for you into Canadian language. (We understand you but you don't understand us.... The story of most minorities.)

English-Canadians (and many French Canadians) follow American politics the same way that New Yorkers read the New York Post, mid-western Americans watch Entertainment Tonight or the British read the Daily Mail.

Edited by August1991

English-Canadians (and many French Canadians) follow American politics the same way that New Yorkers read the New York Post, mid-western Americans watch Entertainment Tonight or the British read the Daily Mail.

Maybe NASCAR is a better metaphor: it looks dumb, boring and predictable, but once you get it the speed and strategy are brilliant.

anyone want to be that if Jeb Bush announces his run, it will between Hillary and Jeb but which will win??? Which do the Americans like the least???

Jeb vs Hillary?

The enlightened US Republic, founded in the late 1700s, has survived much but I would date the decline of western civilisation from the early 2000s.