Canada vs Duffy vs PMO

Looks like some of the fallout is already landing on the PMO. It came out recently in the trial that Duffy did in fact suggest he should be appointed as a senator from Ontario, as he did seem to know the rules and where his principal residence was.. However Harper refused and insisted he be appointed as being from PEI, so at that Duffy signed a declaration to that effect. I expect Wright will be questioned as to his knowledge of that, and then we can get down to the good stuff on the bribery portion.

You forgot to provide a link.....

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One likely and outcome from this trial, and almost certainly reinforced by the Auditor General Senate audit coming soon- there will be more widespread support for abolition.

That's always been the plan - along with the SCC and much-reviled Charter...one day although not quite yet.

Once the global stage really starts collapsing we'll have little in the way of public restraint and while there'll likely be no shortage of right-wing thinking on which paths to take there'll be nowhere near enough of the healthier sort of conservative thinking that might give pause to consider.

Senate is still parliament.

WWWTT

Got a link for that?

Three people have told you how wrong you are. Is there an education problem?

While you are at it, correct this....MP is short for member of parliament. NO it isnt.

An MP (<--note Caps) is for Member of Parliament (<----Note caps once again)

Edited by Guyser2

Everyone but you knew that, but sorry is a good start.

Considering the reams of info available, perhaps you could show us where your assertions are correct?

There is a Govt of Canada website that explains all this.

Thanks.

Oh...and it has to be from Canada.

Something like this perhaps...

and then you find this...

But hey, you always have some wacky dumb ideas , perhaps you were confused once again and mistook the fact that MP does not mean Parliament of Canada. The Parliament of Canada consists of the Crown, the upper house, the Senate of Canada, and the lower house, the Canadian House of Commons

Now scurry away and get more educated. Or not, you have the choice to know or remain ignorant.

So far youre parading only one side.

LOL!

You're funny buddy!

Totally ignore the fact that a senator can be a minister or even a PM in Canada!

Duffy has an official seat in Canada's parliament!

Does the GG have the ability to introduce a bill or vote on an bill?

In fact, if you are arguing that a senator IS NOT AN MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT, then you are exhibiting your limited knowledge OF parliament!

The distinction is that Duffy is not an elected member but an senator. Still an MP.

WWWTT

LOL!

You're funny buddy!

Totally ignore the fact that a senator can be a minister or even a PM in Canada!

Duffy has an official seat in Canada's parliament!

Does the GG have the ability to introduce a bill or vote on an bill?

In fact, if you are arguing that a senator IS NOT AN MEMBER OF PARLIAMENT, then you are exhibiting your limited knowledge OF parliament!

The distinction is that Duffy is not an elected member but an senator. Still an MP.

WWWTT

Well....here it is, ignorance on parade. Revel in it I suppose.

I wonder why no link? Could it be....that you know but like to act stupid, or is it not an act?

Edited by Guyser2

That's always been the plan - along with the SCC and much-reviled Charter...one day although not quite yet.

Once the global stage really starts collapsing we'll have little in the way of public restraint and while there'll likely be no shortage of right-wing thinking on which paths to take there'll be nowhere near enough of the healthier sort of conservative thinking that might give pause to consider.

another Truther, perhaps the first Senate Truther ever......

"Global stage"???

LOL

Sorry but MP is short for member of parliament.

Senate is still parliament.

WWWTT

And? What I said is Member of Parliament is a proper title for the democratically elected representative of a constituency who sits in the House of Commons. You should understand people's confusion when you take a proper title and try to use it as a way to describe someone who is in any parliamentary position. Senators are not Members of Parliament. Why can't you just admit the silly error and move on? You're just digging yourself even deeper here.

LOL!

You're funny buddy!

WWWTT

This likewise doesn't matter. The Prime Minister could have no seat whatsoever in Parliament. They don't have to be an MP or a Senator (see: John Turner). Moreover, Cabinet Minister is another separate title from Member of Parliament, as is Prime Minister.

You either have absolutely no idea what you're talking about or you're so embarrassed by the Duffy flub that you can't even admit the mistake and move on.

Edited by cybercoma

And? What I said is Member of Parliament is a proper title for the democratically elected representative of a constituency who sits in the House of Commons. You should understand people's confusion when you take a proper title and try to use it as a way to describe someone who is in any parliamentary position. Senators are not Members of Parliament. Why can't you just admit the silly error and move on? You're just digging yourself even deeper here.

FALSE

MP's in the commons are called COMMONERS, MP's in the senate are called senators. They are both members of parliament.

Parliament is comprised of the house of commons AND the senate. (as well as the monarch)

in the UK the term is used more widely split between commoners and lords. (commoners of the house of commons, and lords of the house lords)

Senators ARE MPs. They are styled as senators but they are definitely members of parliament, they just are not referred as such.

Senators represent their provinces. '

". The privileges, immunities, and powers to be held, enjoyed, and exercised by the Senate and by the House of Commons, and by the members thereof respectively, shall be such as are from time to time defined by Act of the Parliament of Canada, but so that any Act of the Parliament of Canada defining such privileges, immunities, and powers shall not confer any privileges, immunities, or powers exceeding those at the passing of such Act held, enjoyed, and exercised by the Commons House of Parliament of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Ireland, and by the members thereof."

"If he is adjudged Bankrupt or Insolvent, or applies for the Benefit of any Law relating to Insolvent Debtors, or becomes a public Defaulter;"

Edited by nerve

FALSE

MP's in the commons are called COMMONERS, MP's in the senate are called senators. They are both members of parliament.

Parliament is comprised of the house of commons AND the senate. (as well as the monarch)

in the UK the term is used more widely split between commoners and lords. (commoners of the house of commons, and lords of the house lords)

Senators ARE MPs. They are styled as senators but they are definitely members of parliament, they just are not referred as such.

Senators represent their provinces.

WRONG.

Only members of the lower house are referred to as MPs. Members of the upper house are called senators. Mps are elected, senators are appointed.

WRONG.

Only members of the lower house are referred to as MPs. Members of the upper house are called senators. Mps are elected, senators are appointed.

FALSE

They are referred to as MEMBER FOR... not member of parliament duh...

senators are also a title.

Regardless of what people "call them" they are all members of parliament.

Senators have legislative equivalent power up to the house of commons of the UK etc.. (they are limited constitutionally on monetary bills however)

"The Senate shall, subject to the Provisions of this Act, consist of One Hundred and five Members, who shall be styled Senators"

IE MEMBERS OF PARLIAMENT

Edited by nerve

Actually I'm highlighting and debating our system. Or a minor glitch or loopholeish term/name/title I have stumbled across.

Absolutely NOTHING WRONG in this debate and it is completely in line with the spirit of this forum and within context of this thread!

WWWTT

This likewise doesn't matter. The Prime Minister could have no seat whatsoever in Parliament. They don't have to be an MP or a Senator (see: John Turner). Moreover, Cabinet Minister is another separate title from Member of Parliament, as is Prime Minister.

You either have absolutely no idea what you're talking about or you're so embarrassed by the Duffy flub that you can't even admit the mistake and move on.

Ok so let me get this straight, the PM of Canada does need not be an MP, and everyone here is cool with that.

But I stumble across a minor title loophole or glitch, and several posters here on this site are taking turns ripping a pound of flesh off of me!

:rolleyes:

Take all the time you need to think about that one!

WWWTT

WRONG.

I agree this is true in Canada.

But referring to an senator as an MP is not wrong either, just not commonly done.

You are correct in implying that I should not do it on a frequent basis cause it may lead to confusion.

Maybe we can leave it at that and move on?

WWWTT

But referring to an senator as an MP is not wrong either, just not commonly done.

Yes it is. Not hard to figure out for anyone but you.

Maybe we can leave it at that and move on?

WWWTT

The facts are there for you to learn. This is not an opinion thing either.

A Senator is NOT an MP .

That's right. Are you unaware of the way our system works?

Ya I think if I knew everything in the world I wouldn't be here right now.

But it looks like that you haven't spent much time thinking about how a system that somehow overlooks the fact that allows someone to not have a seat in parliament become PM of Canada, would still have a strict definition of a term used to define which house a member of parliament would be sitting in. Lets all just forget about the fact that you have to have a seat in parliament (either house) to introduce a bill or vote ay or nay on any!

Guess all that strict rules stuff is left for trivial matters that make up 50% of forum traffic

Thank God we got MLW regulars to tear the flesh off of anyone who steps out of line!

:rolleyes:

WWWTT

Ya I think if I knew everything in the world I wouldn't be here right now.

WWWTT

I don't expect you to know everything in the world, but if you're going to speak authoritatively on Canadian politics, I would at least expect you to understand our political system.

I don't expect you to know everything in the world, but if you're going to speak authoritatively on Canadian politics, I would at least expect you to understand our political system.

And I don't expect the same of you either.

Nor do I expect everyone to have the same view. Or if someone has a different view, than they are wrong because it's different.

Think about that one for a while!

WWWTT