Canada vs Duffy vs PMO

A game that caused an election.

That went well for the opposition, didn't it? I guess at that point in time Canadians agreed that it was a game.

Back to the boring trial. Oh wait, it's over for now.

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 831
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Only in Canada would the Duffy matter be a scandal, a private citizen agrees to pay back stolen money taken by a grubby self serving politician. then the scandal turns on politician spinning lying and reframing the truth, oh my, politicians lying, what a great scandal. As long as opposition politicians and the 7/24 news cycle needs scandal to hide reality , all issues will be inflamed to hide reporting incompetence and lack of political answers to real problems

Only in Canada would the Duffy matter be a scandal, a private citizen agrees to pay back stolen money taken by a grubby self serving politician. then the scandal turns on politician spinning lying and reframing the truth, oh my, politicians lying, what a great scandal. As long as opposition politicians and the 7/24 news cycle needs scandal to hide reality , all issues will be inflamed to hide reporting incompetence and lack of political answers to real problems

This "private citizen" was the Prime Minister's chief of staff and he paid off a sitting senator. You should be thankful that Nigel is in the witness box and not trial himself. And then they covered it up and then they covered up the cover up. And now it looks like everyone is lying, including the PM. All of this from the government that campaigned on cleaning up Ottawa. Is that really so hard for you to understand?

I know you would prefer we would all move on to more important items. Like conservative ads that poke fun at Trudeau's hair.

Here's something I wanted to post yesterday but my computer froze up and I've had to spend a few hours today running diagnostic tools and cleaning junk off my hard drive before going online today:

This whole saga of lawyers arguing about law and government procedures makes my eyes glaze over....at least as much as looking at algebraic equations. So, even though I'm interested in how this story plays out, I don't give it a lot of attention....and I don't think I've even commented on this thread....if I did, it was early on.

Anyway, I like to get to the source and find out what the root causes are behind a story in the news, and to the rescue, along came an episode of the CBC Radio show: The Current yesterday, with an interview of Donald Savoie - Canada Research Chair in Public Administration and Governance at the University of Moncton.

According to Mr. Savoie, the problem started out back when Pierre Trudeau became Prime Minister in 68, and began expanding the size and power of the staff working in the Prime Minister's Office. Over the years, there's been no turning back, as a succession of Liberal and PC governments continued the process of taking away powers and responsibilities of MP's and even cabinet ministers, and turning the work over to the PMO, which has developed two distinct class levels: an upper level of professional managers who communicate directly with the Prime Minister and keep virtually all ministers and certainly backbenchers out of the loop. And there's a secondary level of the PMO that doesn't even report directly to the Prime Minister, but follows the chain of command.

As Savoie sees it, if either the Liberals or the Conservatives awarded a patronage senate seat in the old days, that new senator would have clear boundaries on spending and what could/ and what could not be claimed as expenses. The muddled mess that exists in the PMO today shows us that it's about more than the Duffy Trial. Canada has been on track to selecting a dictator every four to five years, and the whole Parliament....not just the Senate, has been reduced to an irrelevant expense as 99% of the government is done out of the Prime Minister's bureaucracy. Just sayin - if larger issues aren't addressed out of this Duffy incident, it's mostly a waste of oxygen!

Only in Canada would the Duffy matter be a scandal, a private citizen agrees to pay back stolen money taken by a grubby self serving politician. then the scandal turns on politician spinning lying and reframing the truth, oh my, politicians lying, what a great scandal. As long as opposition politicians and the 7/24 news cycle needs scandal to hide reality , all issues will be inflamed to hide reporting incompetence and lack of political answers to real problems[/size]

The cover-up made it big. And the fact that it is part of a pattern of such bad behaviour in the Senate and PMO. The PM's responses on this matter have even shown to be factually inaccurate on multiple occasions calling his credibility into question - never a small matter.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland