Prominent Russian Opposition Figure Boris Nemtsov Shot Dead

Shady

Shady, are you under the mistaken impression that anyone here supports Putin?

Cybercoma, and others in this thread, I think that you miss a broader point.

In the minds of many, an attack on Putin is an attack on Russia. Such is charisma, or nationalism, or groupthink, or whatever the term is. For some, if we insult Obama, we are insulting certain Americans.

Putin had his two terms in office and then managed to get another. If Obama tried the same, no doubt many would support him too.

======

As to Nemtsov's death, I suspect that many from his era have received the message. And I fear a series of arrests as after Kirov's assassination.

Edited by August1991

And I fear a series of arrests as after Kirov's assassination.

The independent investigator appointed by President Putin(also coincidentally named Vladimir Putin) has already said he thinks it was likely Nemtsovs own people that were the dastardly perpetrators.

As Gary Kasparov noted, no critic of Putin is safe in Russia now. It doesn't matter who gave the order, the effect is the same. As his economy collapses, Putin is entering the next phase of authoritarian leadership where terror must figure prominently.

Things don't look good. Western Europe, 'led' by Germany, is showing very little enthusiasm for taking a tough line and America is all warred out. I would prefer a quieter but tougher approach from Canada where we talk of peace and, at the same time, go after every oligarch with any assets in this country, no matter what the cost. Ukraine is worth at least that, surely?

Cybercoma, and others in this thread, I think that you miss a broader point.

In the minds of many, an attack on Putin is an attack on Russia. Such is charisma, or nationalism, or groupthink, or whatever the term is. For some, if we insult Obama, we are insulting certain Americans.

Putin had his two terms in office and then managed to get another. If Obama tried the same, no doubt many would support him too.

======

As to Nemtsov's death, I suspect that many from his era have received the message. And I fear a series of arrests as after Kirov's assassination.

This delusion of 'l'etat c'est moi' is exacerbated in countries where the head of state is also the head of government, like Russia, France and the US.

• 2 weeks later...

This delusion of 'l'etat c'est moi' is exacerbated in countries where the head of state is also the head of government, like Russia, France and the US.

The US? The US Congress, a head of government, can vote against a head of state.

But wait, there's more! The US is a federal state: this means that states (governors, legislatures) further dilute/confuse State/police/army power.

What a country!

I would prefer a quieter but tougher approach from Canada where we talk of peace and, at the same time, go after every oligarch with any assets in this country, no matter what the cost.

I would prefer a national policy whereby we bring a much more potent weapon to bear on Russia: oil/gas. Their major customers in Europe are very uneasy with the attitude of their supplier, Russia, and know how vulnerable they are to Putin simply closing the valve on a pipeline without warning.

Of course, we would actually have to have the political courage to build an pipleline or two to saltwater in this country, so it is unlikely to happen.

The next US president is certainly gonna be a Republican, who is he or she is anybody's guess, and the escalation will get worse.

Depending on one's point of view Obama has been an indecisive chickenshit or a wise man not unnecessarily escalating the conflict.

I'm afraid his Republican successor will be different.

Edited by -TSS-