Gas Prices

Topaz

Anyone care to complain about the gas prices or should we wait until they get to...1.50+? On the news, they were saying that its the speculators that are raising the prices because of the Ukraine and Iraq. Of course, the price won't go really until gas stations use up the gas in the ground then watch out. Too bad, drivers couldn't get a 15% discount on their gas like those workers who CAN take public transit do on their income tax. My region gas is about 1.35 and that's too much.

Anyone care to complain about the gas prices or should we wait until they get to...1.50+? On the news, they were saying that its the speculators that are raising the prices because of the Ukraine and Iraq. Of course, the price won't go really until gas stations use up the gas in the ground then watch out. Too bad, drivers couldn't get a 15% discount on their gas like those workers who CAN take public transit do on their income tax. My region gas is about 1.35 and that's too much.

In Port Moody regular gas is ~153.9 as of about an hour ago.....and diesel 149.9.........A good portion of that current price is taxes....If you're in Ontario, expect your prices to go up.

Hmm, let's see, a major shake up in the Middle East, combined with the regular increase in demand due to an increase in driving during the summer months. Yep, prices will jump for sure. Just a heads up to Topaz and others. Every summer, prices tend to rise. Because the demand for gasoline increases significantly.

The US really did a great job with the Iraq invasion in securing all that oil for the world market and getting gas prices cheaper, didn't they? Gas prices have doubled in North America since the 2003 invasion. Thanks George!

The situations in Iraq and Ukraine are complete BS. They have no affect on our oil supply and they have no affect on the US oil supply. They have so much in reserve they don't even know where to keep it all.

This is all thanks to the robber bankers who speculate on commodities. They're artificially driving up the price by playing their monetary shell games.

Hmm, let's see, a major shake up in the Middle East, combined with the regular increase in demand due to an increase in driving during the summer months. Yep, prices will jump for sure. Just a heads up to Topaz and others. Every summer, prices tend to rise. Because the demand for gasoline increases significantly.

These are still record prices we're seeing. But the last time we saw prices this high was in 2011. When one considers inflation, it's surprising we haven't seen prices this high much in the past. I paid as low as $1.17 in the past year.

The situations in Iraq and Ukraine are complete BS. They have no affect on our oil supply and they have no affect on the US oil supply. They have so much in reserve they don't even know where to keep it all.

Why is a country that is a net oil exporter worried about what happens in the U.S., where gas prices are lower ? Could it be that it has not invested nearly as much in domestic oil refineries and distribution networks ?

Why is a country that is a net oil exporter worried about what happens in the U.S., where gas prices are lower ? Could it be that it has not invested nearly as much in domestic oil refineries and distribution networks ?

Bingo, we have an refinery problem. We export the crude to be sent back to us as gas. Also we are taxed at a much higher rate.

In all honesty it's kind of 6 in one and Half a dozen the other as Canada has largely avoided tolling major highways. They're everywhere down south.

Edited by Boges

maybe the only way out of this, especially for people who have to drive to work and many more than 1-3 hours on the road is to call in and say I can't afford to drive to work or start using less, and build up supplies. This can't be good for the economy when people use their credits cards, it adds more debt and the feds are screaming now of household debt is too high. The workers that will be hit the hardest are the ones driving over a hour away and most of their pay will go into gas. I sure many who have a auto that sucks up gas would go pay a 4 cylinder they would be able to afford it. Some people really have it hard, especially in Ontario.

Taxes haven't changed.

My point on taxes is that currently the Lower Mainland has one of (if not the highest) rates on gas taxes in North America.....I expect, gas taxes in Ontario will be on the rise in the months ahead.

Why?

Cuz they're work vehicles. It'd be like using an Astrovan as your day-to-day vehicle. They're not practical for just transporting humans. I guess if you camp a lot it would be worthwhile, I guess.

But if you're cab is largely empty you own one because it's a status symbol.

Cuz they're work vehicles. It'd be like using an Astrovan as your day-to-day vehicle. They're not practical for just transporting humans. I guess if you camp a lot it would be worthwhile, I guess.

But if you're cab is largely empty you own one because it's a status symbol.

I own a camper, boat and ATV............As for your practicality definition, why don’t you apply that to SUVs, sports cars and larger sedans also? Are they also status symbols of the bourgeoisie?

I own a camper, boat and ATV............As for your practicality definition, why don’t you apply that to SUVs, sports cars and larger sedans also? Are they also status symbols of the bourgeoisie?

I do, though one can make an argument for owning an SUV for safety reasons.

Owning a boat is a good reason to have a truck. You're using it to trail stuff. But if you have one just cuz, then you're a nob.

Edited by Boges

I do, though one can make an argument for owning an SUV for safety reasons.

Owning a boat is a good reason to have a truck. You're using it to trail stuff. But if you have one just cuz, then you're a nob.

What safety reasons?

Yeah a car with 6-wheels in an excellent commuter vehicle. :rolleyes:

Why not........it clearly meets your criteria for a “safe” vehicle (4x4, large size, room for the whole family), and one could even go so far as to suggest that it’s safer then your selection (a truck is less prone to roll-overs then an SUV) and more practical because it tows and hauls for more then a SUV.

There is no reason (at least having anything to do with reality) that gas prices are this high.

Other than collusion of course.

I paid $1.26 yesterday, avg in TO was $1.42

Seems like you're catching up with us out West........What's funny, from the very gas station I was at the other day, the Chevron refinery, the terminus of the current Kinder Morgan pipeline, is only a 15-20 minute drive (in traffic) away……. :rolleyes: