"The government-controlled CBC" tells Harper to back off

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/29/cbc-chair-letter-harper_n_5408804.html

The [2010] missive from then-CBC chair Tim Casgrain warns the party and government MPs against "intruding" on the broadcaster's independence as they seek "to influence the content of programming."

Looks like the Tories have looked to overstep their boundaries to influence the programming on CBC. Maybe bush_cheney2004 is right after all. Of course, it wasn't always this way, otherwise this wouldn't be an "intrusion." It would just be status quo. This really shouldn't be surprising with Harper's obsessive need to control communications from his party and MPs. Why wouldn't he seek to control the media as well?

I wish somebody would order the CBC to stop making those relentlessly shitty programs they've been doing for decades.

They are expensive, horrible and if they were wondering why nobody is watching......

First step for the government: change their business relationship with CBC to be the same as with Canada Post. No subsidy. Nothing. Produce somehting interesting and economically viable or fold. Simple business plan : current $1billion subsidy decreases $200 million per year down to zero by Year Five.

I wish it was true, but sadly, it's not. If anything, it's bizarre how much support and how much slack the Conservatives have given the CBC.

So we have evidence (a letter from the CBC Chair) of the government trying to influence the content of programming. Did you want to share some evidence that says otherwise?

So we have evidence (a letter from the CBC Chair) of the government trying to influence the content of programming. Did you want to share some evidence that says otherwise?

Apparently the Conservative Party accused the CBC pf presenting partisan guests on their shows as unbiased observers.

Is this the 'evidence' you refer to?

I wish somebody would order the CBC to stop making those relentlessly shitty programs they've been doing for decades.

They are expensive, horrible and if they were wondering why nobody is watching......

First step for the government: change their business relationship with CBC to be the same as with Canada Post. No

I believe they're not producing HNIC anymore.

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/29/cbc-chair-letter-harper_n_5408804.html

Looks like the Tories have looked to overstep their boundaries to influence the programming on CBC. Maybe bush_cheney2004 is right after all. Of course, it wasn't always this way, otherwise this wouldn't be an "intrusion." It would just be status quo. This really shouldn't be surprising with Harper's obsessive need to control communications from his party and MPs. Why wouldn't he seek to control the media as well?

Oops, BC won't like the sounds of this. Might have to finally concede the government does not control the CBC. At least without a fight.

What do you think you get from a government that openly supports Sun TV from the get-go? I like CBC, is Canadian and when one talks about government hand outs, well CBC, Sun TV, Global, CTV etc. ALL get hand outs. I've tried watching Sun but they seem to have more US stories on than Canadian and some of the people on there....well, I rather not listen to them.

What do you think you get from a government that openly supports Sun TV from the get-go? I like CBC, is Canadian and when one talks about government hand outs, well CBC, Sun TV, Global, CTV etc. ALL get hand outs. I've tried watching Sun but they seem to have more US stories on than Canadian and some of the people on there....well, I rather not listen to them.

And buddy you are not alone. I rather not listen too. SUN gives us the similar gobbeldygook that FOX is famous for down south. Since CBC is funded by the taxpayer, then it is essentially controlled by the taxpayer. At least you can get a rendering of a story that didn't emit from a boardroom needing to kiss a little shareholder butt.

And buddy you are not alone. I rather not listen too. SUN gives us the similar gobbeldygook that FOX is famous for down south. Since CBC is funded by the taxpayer, then it is essentially controlled by the taxpayer. At least you can get a rendering of a story that didn't emit from a boardroom needing to kiss a little shareholder butt.

Not even close to fox news. You don't like them because they show how bad the lefty is in this country. And yes the CBC is funded by the taxpayer , but we are all not liberal and the CBC is as liberal as you can get. And as a taxpayer I want to know what mansbridge is making,but why is the CBC so scared to tell us? Now yes they did say they pay him about 85 grand a yr, and that is a bold face lie. Lied right to our faces , so what is it. If they are so scared to say he must be making maybe a million?? Now remember he is not a reporter or a journalist, he reads the news and that is it.

Facts certainly help some poeple...sopme ignore it.

And as a taxpayer I want to know what mansbridge is making,but why is the CBC so scared to tell us? Now yes they did say they pay him about 85 grand a yr, and that is a bold face lie. Lied right to our faces , so what is it. If they are so scared to say he must be making maybe a million?? Now remember he is not a reporter or a journalist, he reads the news and that is it.

I dont need to know what the guy is paid for the most part, as I can figure out fairly

But yea,he does make that amount. But then again, he has other jobs that pay too. And yes, he is definitely a reporter and a journalist, dont be ridiculous.

And you deride the left for being dumb???

You're claiming they're partisan. That's something you can prove by showing partisan bias with examples, studies, anything. Logic doesn't dictate that someone proves that things don't exist. It's the person stating the presence of something that has the burden of proof. Said differently, the lack of any evidence showing partisan bias supports the idea that there is no bias. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Edited by cybercoma

Not even close to fox news. You don't like them because they show how bad the lefty is in this country. And yes the CBC is funded by the taxpayer , but we are all not liberal and the CBC is as liberal as you can get. And as a taxpayer I want to know what mansbridge is making,but why is the CBC so scared to tell us? Now yes they did say they pay him about 85 grand a yr, and that is a bold face lie. Lied right to our faces , so what is it. If they are so scared to say he must be making maybe a million?? Now remember he is not a reporter or a journalist, he reads the news and that is it.

You have addressed the CBC payroll it seems. What about trhe content?

It's worse than nothing.

Do you have a factual refutation by the CBC that the commentators they present as non partisan are non partisan?

That might be evidence.

Do you have anything to the contrary? They have no need to be partisan. The board of directors they answer to is us who actually pay their bills. Unlike "Fox news north" for instance that has to please "Acme" corp. Where do you think you'll get the better balance?

First step for the government: change their business relationship with CBC.

I agree that we need a new business model for the CBC. Instead of criticizing what we now have, let's come up with innovative, creative ideas to make us proud of the CBC. I posted something in another thread a while ago about suggestions for improving the CBC but sadly, no one offered any suggestions. We are so very quick to criticize, but we lack the ingenuity and creativity to offer up suggestions for improvements.

We are so very quick to criticize, but we lack the ingenuity and creativity to offer up suggestions for improvements.

I think CBC English Television should focus on news, and they should completely replace the bureaucracy to facilitate funding cheap and cheerful programming, bought from independent production companies for the rest.

Well I don't watch a lot of TV, other than news, and OK, I have my PVR setup to record Corner Gas and Frasier. But, IMO, we could happily dump Dragon's Den. Rich people bragging about being rich, who needs more of that? (way too American shallow for me) and probably also Lang and O'leary, who often approach the same level as the former. What to replace it with? hmm, that's not so easy. But I am a big CBC radio fan. That started way back when I first heard Peter Gzowski's voice. I have travelled from stem to gudgeon in this country and wherever I was, if I could find a radio I felt connected to the rest of the country. Maybe we need a TV program that will take us from Tors Cove to Tofino, and everywhere else in between in a similar way as Peter did.

I have travelled from stem to gudgeon in this country and wherever I was, if I could find a radio I felt connected to the rest of the country.

I recall that feeling listening to a staticky CBC broadcast while drifting at sea 40 - 50 miles or more offshore at night after a day's fishing or anchored up behind some rock in a howling gale. Like a sense of smell, despite the distance and isolation of being at sea the feeling was somehow enhanced.

Don't get to fish much anymore thanks to Ottawa - something that's made me feel more disconnected, distant and isolated from Canada as a result. No amount of CBC will make up for that I'm afraid.

I recall that feeling listening to a staticky CBC broadcast while drifting at sea 40 - 50 miles or more offshore at night after a day's fishing or anchored up behind some rock in a howling gale. Like a sense of smell, despite the distance and isolation of being at sea the feeling was somehow enhanced.

Don't get to fish much anymore thanks to Ottawa - something that's made me feel more disconnected, distant and isolated from Canada as a result. No amount of CBC will make up for that I'm afraid.

And unfortunately it seems the current "Ottawa" want's to mess with what's left of the CBC. Can't wait to get to that ballot box!

Speaking of scratchy CBC, I used to be able to get Radio Canada International on the HF/SSB while working off the coast of Africa (DRC). It took a little tuning and occasional re-tuning of the antenna, but it was worth the effort to hear some familiar voices and to get caught up on things Canadian.

• 2 weeks later...