Should Tom Mulcair resign.

I watched Mulcair yesterday at work and in committee to-day. Yesterday, Tom almost lost his cool but to-day I think he's holding it in. Rather than concentrating on the issues, pundits seem to be taking bets on Toms ability to hold on to his reported volatile temper. If he blows his top it will do him far more harm than the questionable issues being discussed.

Watching the grilling on TV does tend to decrease one's credibility of the committee system as it has been used in recent cases.

Edited by Big Guy

He didn't lose his cool yesterday at all. The journos in Ottawa blew that way out of proportion. If you watch the video, you can see he's frustrated with the stupid question from Graham but he certainly wasn't mad. You want mad? Look at Trudeau calling Peter Kent a "piece of shit" in the House. That's pure rage. Mulcair has never handled himself so poorly.

As far as the satellite office goes, the Conservatives have a lot of nerve nitpicking this issue after the stunt they pulled with Irwin Cotler. Funny how you, Shady, need explanations here, but didn't care about the highly unethical and possibly illegal activities of the CPC in Montreal.

I watched a fair bit of the comittee hearing today and if Tom does have temper problems you could see no sign of it in what I saw. What you could certainly see is his 35 years or so as a lawyer. I think his 'splainin was pretty good. He claims they followed the rules, before and after the rules were changed. Now it's a matter of interpreting the rules.

Its an interesting concept. Should the people in Alta who voted NDP get a "constituency" office to have people help them with their issues especially if they feel ignored by their CPC MP? I'm torn, I can see both sides.

They do have a NDP consituency office in AB: Linda Duncan, NDP member for Edmonton Strathcona.

They issue torrents of outrage regularly.

As for Tom, I don't know if he should resign.

He should be resigned about finishing third next election though.

You want something to criticize the NDP about it's this.

http://www.ndp.ca/news/honorable-senator-marie-p-charette-poulin

2014 05 15
Honorable Senator Marie-P. Charette-Poulin

On January 21 and 23, 2014, several releases on the absenteeism of senators were posted on the NDP’s website.

The NDP retracts all its remarks to the effect that Senator Marie-P. Charette-Poulin had the worst record of absenteeism in the 41st Parliament and about her lack of voting.

The NDP also retracts all its comments to the effect that the each day that Senator Charette-Poulin spends at work costs the taxpayer $9,869.71.

Finally, the NDP retracts its comments to the effect that each vote by Senator Charette-Poulin cost taxpayers $35,556.16.

The statements made in the NDP’s publications were false and unfounded.

The NDP offers its sincere, complete and unconditional apologies to Senator Marie-P. Charette-Poulin for having spread unfounded information on the NDP website regarding her absenteeism and voting record.

Sincerely,

Rebecca Blaikie
NDP of Canada President

this pag

I watched a bit of QP today, I thought he got pretty red faced and defensive, he also spoke in French as a deflective measure. :)

He says he’s done nothing wrong, isn’t that what they all say ? Well sure, but look at this, http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2014/05/15/ndp-guy-caron-mailings-offices_n_5327905.html?ir=Politics The NDP is not above doing whatever it takes but it appears to me some people want to whitewash what they do. They are political animals after all.

You know many of his constituents speak French, right? The Hansard record is translated. There's live translation on CPAC. Switching to French is a pretty lousy way to deflect.

It has been done before to avoid the implied nuances in questions in English. Any time you switch languages you do not have to respond to the exact words used in the original question. Mulcair is exceptionally fluid in both languages and his background in law makes him a very elusive witness. In this case I do not believe that he has much to be elusive about except to keep those partisan members from trying to trap him through semantics.

My understanding of this is the difference of a WALL. The Conservative have the two offices in a mini-hall at the SAME address, were the NDP have two offices at the same address but in one office divide by a man-made wall, which the NDP pay for out of THEIR pocket, were the Tories are paid by party and taxpayers. To stop the NDP, they changed the rules on April 15th and so the NDP changed to the new rules , which are going BACK to were they were at the end of Parl session, then the NDP could change back again. I can't believe the Libs were part of what appears to be a witch hunt but perhaps the Liberals and the Conservatives don't want another party taking over the PMO, since its only been the two of them running the country. Until, I see something not right, I'm for Tom.

My understanding of this is the difference of a WALL. The Conservative have the two offices in a mini-hall at the SAME address, were the NDP have two offices at the same address but in one office divide by a man-made wall, which the NDP pay for out of THEIR pocket, were the Tories are paid by party and taxpayers. To stop the NDP, they changed the rules on April 15th and so the NDP changed to the new rules , which are going BACK to were they were at the end of Parl session, then the NDP could change back again. I can't believe the Libs were part of what appears to be a witch hunt but perhaps the Liberals and the Conservatives don't want another party taking over the PMO, since its only been the two of them running the country. Until, I see something not right, I'm for Tom.

Always helpful if you provide a link to where you got your information......

I don't want tom to feel left out. But this could be serious.

What a load of bunk!!!!

Should Mulcair resign???

More like should Harper hang his head in shame, then resign for trying to pull a feeble attempt to try and frame the NDP!

What a waste of tax payer dollars at the hands of conservatives!

Typical conservatives wasting hard earned tax dollars to create laws to attack the opposition.

This issue is over in 5...4...3...2...1...

https://www.hilltimes.com/news/politics/2014/05/15/conservative-mp-who-grilled-mulcair-over-ndps-satellite-office-spending-had-to/38488?mcl=745&muid=19601

WWWTT

• 2 weeks later...

What a load of bunk!!!!

Should Mulcair resign???

More like should Harper hang his head in shame, then resign for trying to pull a feeble attempt to try and frame the NDP!

What a waste of tax payer dollars at the hands of conservatives!

Typical conservatives wasting hard earned tax dollars to create laws to attack the opposition.

This issue is over in 5...4...3...2...1...

https://www.hilltimes.com/news/politics/2014/05/15/conservative-mp-who-grilled-mulcair-over-ndps-satellite-office-spending-had-to/38488?mcl=745&muid=19601

WWWTT

A load of bunk? he says under oath he told the speaker ,but the speaker and his office has no record of it. Did he just lie under oath? He must step down until we have a investigation into this. This is serious if true and tom just might have to resign now ,so they will time for a new leadership convention.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/speaker-contradicts-mulcair-says-ndp-didn-t-check-with-him-on-satellite-offices-1.1843773

A load of bunk? he says under oath he told the speaker ,but the speaker and his office has no record of it. Did he just lie under oath? He must step down until we have a investigation into this. This is serious if true and tom just might have to resign now ,so they will time for a new leadership convention.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/speaker-contradicts-mulcair-says-ndp-didn-t-check-with-him-on-satellite-offices-1.1843773

LOL!

WWWTT