We need a privacy revolution

Nearly every day new info comes to light about companies and governments doing everything in their power to invade our privacy given the advance of new technologies that allow these entities to track most everything we have ever typed & clicked etc.when using a computer connected to the internet, as well as our cellphone usage (which is, again, a mini computer connected to the internet and/or carrier signals). A cellphone is essentially a GPS that constantly tracks your location, & companies (incl. in Canada) are now using this info to know your every move.

Governments (foreign and domestic) use this info to keep tabs on you. Private companies use this info to "better sell you more products" to increase profits, & to make money by selling your personal info to other companies. Companies are increasingly being forced, by asinine legislation (see: PATRIOT Ac, FISA etc.) passed by asinine politicians with little response from asinine apathetic voters, to secretly comply with government orders (increasingly WITHOUT warrants or any judicial oversight or accountability whatsoever) in sharing the info they have on you with them. This partnership is dangerous & out of control.

For our basic liberty & security, this needs to end. Computers, the internet, smartphones etc. are not going away, & we'll continue to create & use new technology to connect us in ever more amazing & productive ways. We need to take back our privacy that's being taken from us.

I suggest people email their MP, MPP, their Senators, & any cabinet ministers one finds relevant and tell them 1) support legislation that protects our privacy, not arbitrary & warrantless state intrusion into our privacy (such as Bill C-13 and Bill S-4, and 2) support legislation that restricts private companies from being able to track & share our information. We should also demand companies (especially banks, mobile providers, & other tech companies) to improve their privacy policies or cease (or threaten at least) using their services/products.

I will not sit by and be a victim to this BS, who's with me? Or not? Thoughts?

• Like 1

Some disturbing Canadian news article about these issues from the past few days:

How federal bill C-13 could give CSIS agents — or even Rob Ford — access to your personal online data

May 4th - A wide-ranging new federal bill that will allow Internet and cellphone providers to hand over your personal data without a warrant has privacy advocates concerned about just how many officials will have access to that information, a list that could range from CSIS agents to Toronto Mayor Rob Ford.

When passed, Tory bill C-13 will mean that any “public officer” or “peace officer” can request, obtain and use data that has been voluntarily provided to them by telecommunication companies, and it spells out legal immunity for any company that co-operates.

The officers obtaining that data can be anything from tax agents to sheriffs, reeves, justices of the peace, CSIS agents, and even, yes, mayors.

That aspect of the bill was enough of a concern for then-Privacy Commissioner, Jennifer Stoddart, to raise the alarm. She released a statement in November noting “the potentially large number of ‘public officers’ who would be able to use these significant new powers.”

from National Post

Chantal Bernier says Ottawa snooping on social media

From CBC, May 8 - Federal government departments are collecting data on Canadian citizens via their social media accounts for no good reason, Canada's privacy watchdog says.

In a letter to Treasury Board president Tony Clement in February, interim privacy commissioner Chantal Bernier says "we are seeing evidence that personal information is being collected by government institutions from social media sites without regard for accuracy, currency and accountability."

Last month, Bernier's office revealed that various government agencies have made almost 1.2 million requests for personal information about Canadians from Canada's major telecom companies, often without a warrant.

Last year, the commissioner's office criticized two federal government departments for improperly collecting data of a personal nature on prominent First Nations activist Cindy Blackstock. Although it said collection of data about Blackstock's employer and human rights campaign were fair game, the data collection veered into information of a personal nature — an obvious violation of "the spirit, if not the letter, of the Privacy Act," the privacy commissioner said at the time.

"In a recent investigation into the collection of information from a First Nations activist’s personal Facebook page, we took the position that this type of information can only be gathered in situations in which a direct connection exists to the institution’s operating programs or activities," she added.

The Privacy Act does allow for government to collect data from social media, but only when there's a direct relation to a specific program or activity — it's not just a blank cheque to collect data for no specific purpose.

http://news.ca.msn.com/top-stories/chantal-bernier-says-ottawa-snooping-on-social-media

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Everything you said is sensible enough, but it's a little ironic that you ask people to use email as a response.

There's no turning back the technology, is the point here.

Here's something else you can do if you're concerned:

https://citizenlab.org/2014/05/responding-crisis-canadian-telecommunications/

Per Canadian privacy law, all Canadians can request that companies explain and disclose the kinds of personal information that they retain about the requesting Canadian citizen. Principle 4.9 of Schedule 1 and section 8 of Canada’s federal privacy legislation, the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (PIPEDA), legitimizes such requests and compels organizations to respond to requests when those companies have significant connections with Canada. Obviously Canadian telecommunications companies that have their headquarters in Canada and that primarily service Canadians meet this requirement.

Using PIPEDA it is possible for Canadians to learn what information their telecommunications companies hold about them, for how long, for what purposes, and when they disclose that information. In effect, it can empower Canadians to understand how companies manage the personal information entrusted to them and then make informed decisions about whether they want to maintain that commercial relationship. Significantly, based on the disclosures from the Privacy Commissioner of Canada, it was only after a telecommunications subscriber complained about how their information might be shared that they learned their information had been disclosed to government state agencies.

I don't fear surveillance. Life is too short. But I don't expect that governments won't abuse their powers.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/telecoms-refuse-to-release-information-on-private-data-given-to-feds-1.2626286

Many many requests for information have been complied with.

I have come to realize that Citizenlab is a true "public" and as such, I support their engagement.

"The Citizen Lab is an interdisciplinary laboratory based at the Munk School of Global Affairs,University of Toronto, Canada focusing on advanced research and development at the intersection of Information and Communication Technologies (ICTs), human rights, and global security. Learn more » "

Everything you said is sensible enough, but it's a little ironic that you ask people to use email as a response.

Well, people can make contact any way they want. But if you use email then at least you don't have to bother signing your name since they're probably tracking you anyways :P Ok it's a bit more complex than that haha.

I don't fear surveillance. Life is too short. But I don't expect that governments won't abuse their powers.

Wouldn't say I fear surveillance, but i'm very concerned about it. Life's too short to pick up a phone or write a letter/email to demand basic privacy and liberty? The freedom to not have your thoughts, writings, activities, location/movements etc. arbitrarily (without a warrant) tracked by government(and companies) is a fundamental liberty in my opinion.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Life's too short to pick up a phone or write a letter/email to demand basic privacy and liberty?

No, go ahead and do something about it. But it's not something to fear, it's more of an annoyance.

People feel fear after terrorist attacks, that's real fear. People also feel fear when their families are tracked and hassled by the police.

I will not sit by and be a victim to this BS, who's with me? Or not? Thoughts?

If I've said it once I've said it a thousand times...aim the Telescreens the other way.

A government's right to secrecy needs to end long before the point at which it pushes against the governed's right to privacy.

vultures-patience-my-ass.jpg

How about installing electric correction plates to their seats in Parliament? Wire these to an app that lets voter's collectively deliver whoever's ass is parked in it a swift electric kick - if polling numbers fall to low...BOOM!

No, go ahead and do something about it. But it's not something to fear, it's more of an annoyance.

It's more than an "annoyance", it's the degradation of basic civil liberties and due process rights. Would you find it "annoying" if a police officer came into your bedroom without your knowledge and searched through your private possessions mail, dresser drawers etc. What's happening now isn't any different. This is the 21st century version of the government having the ability to open and read and copy all your letter mail without a warrant without you even knowing.

People feel fear after terrorist attacks, that's real fear. People also feel fear when their families are tracked and hassled by the police.

But this IS people and families being tracked and hassled by the police. I've changed my mind, this is something to fear, and it can and will get even worse as the years progress unless the masses push back and do it now. Big Brother is watching.

I stopped reading the post after that silly analogy.

Why is it silly? What's the difference between the police, RCMP, CSIS, CSEC, the PMO etc. breaking into your house and reading your mail without warrant and without your knowledge or consent vs them them remotely breaking into your online accounts and reading your email without warrant and without your knowledge or consent? Or them sneaking into your house and bugging a phone or bedroom vs remotely hacking into your computer and/or accessing your webcam and mic?

The results are virtually identical, but one is done remotely and the other isn't. The dangerous thing is that the remote spying is far easier & cheaper to do and to get away with.

The only person who should be able to read your emails and texts are you and the recipient(s) and who you CHOOSE to show the communications to. IMO, not even your email host (ie: gmail, hotmail) or phone carriers should be able to read your emails/texts. They have no reason to, unless you're suspected of a crime...for which the police should need a warrant to then access your emails/texts etc.

Why is it silly? What's the difference between the police, RCMP, CSIS, CSEC, the PMO etc. breaking into your house and reading your mail without warrant and without your knowledge or consent vs them them remotely breaking into your online accounts and reading your email without warrant and without your knowledge or consent?

You're saying that having an actual person breaking into your home going through your things is the same as having emails read ?

The thing about email monitoring is that it's anonymous and they are likely engaging in 'fishing expeditions', which means they're just looking for people who may be conversing about topics of interest to them. They aren't looking for you in particular, just people.

Compare that to having a human standing in your home, touching your things. Really there's no argument here. Maybe it's the same to you but it isn't at all to me.

Your email host may not read your email but they may aggregate words in your email to serve you up ads. If you don't want that, then you should just pay for some email service that doesn't do that, as that's how the service makes money.

Speaking of fishing expeditions, you've never had a human observer onboard your boat, touching your things and actually living with you have you?

The bill you get for hosting Big Brother really underscores your sense of discomfiture.

You're saying that having an actual person breaking into your home going through your things is the same as having emails read ?

Compare that to having a human standing in your home, touching your things. Really there's no argument here. Maybe it's the same to you but it isn't at all to me.

As I said, it's not exactly the same. But someone is still "touching your things" when they go through emails, texts, your dropbox account etc., same as if they opened all your mail before you got it (and without telling you). Both are massive invasions of privacy. Very basic legal due process is being broken. Authorities should not search you and I unless they have "probable cause" or a warrant. A police officer can't search your car without probable cause that you may have committed a crime or has your expressed permission to search. Get the f**k out of my personal sh*t!!

The thing about email monitoring is that it's anonymous and they are likely engaging in 'fishing expeditions', which means they're just looking for people who may be conversing about topics of interest to them. They aren't looking for you in particular, just people.

I think this is naive. You really think they can only look at "metadata"? And it starts as an excuse for "looking for terrorists/criminals", but it can easily expand, to things like spying on political opponents, or some CSIS officer spying on his wife having an affair. And it's still all without a warrant, and they were doing it without our knowledge, completely unaccountable, until Edward Snowden and others blew the whistle (sometimes illegally and destroying their personal lives to do so). And this is all the stuff we know they do, imagine the things we still don't know are going on. You're for open government right? Well this isn't it, it's clandestine domestic (and foreign) spying on everyone and it's undemocratic.

But someone is still "touching your things" when they go through emails, texts, your dropbox account etc., same as if they opened all your mail before you got it (and without telling you).

I don't feel that way, and I'm surprised having unknown hands physically touching your property is analogous to email scanning.

Both are massive invasions of privacy. Very basic legal due process is being broken.

It's not certain. Authorities are obfuscating the details on purpose, likely for political and legal reasons.

Authorities should not search you and I unless they have "probable cause" or a warrant.

And it may in fact be that in order to read the actual email, they need to do that. As I say, they're obfuscating the details to deflect outrage.

I think this is naive. You really think they can only look at "metadata"? And it starts as an excuse for "looking for terrorists/criminals", but it can easily expand, to things like spying on political opponents, or some CSIS officer spying on his wife having an affair.

No, I think the initial search is a "wide net" is what I'm saying. Think about it. How many people would they have to have on staff to read individual emails for that many people ?

You're for open government right?

Ironically, the very issue where the government is eschewing the concept is also the best opportunity to achieve a start to a practical use of Open Gov.

No, I think the initial search is a "wide net" is what I'm saying. Think about it. How many people would they have to have on staff to read individual emails for that many people ?

They obviously don't read every email. But what is to stop an intelligence officer from going into someone's individual emails or Dropbox files on whatever whim they wish? Snowden said he could do it, and has the documents to prove it. I believe him more than the government.

The Tories say its not them tracking, its the agencies, who get their orders from government??? Anyway, the top item on the Tories list is pipeline. So, I think they are checking anyone who has to do with the opposition of the environment and the pipeline. You can probably throw in a couple of NDP and Liberals MP's in the mix too. Maybe if many canadians would start stating online, they won't support this government, the government would get the hint!

I don't feel that way, and I'm surprised having unknown hands physically touching your property is analogous to email scanning.

Not just touching, opening, reading, archiving, resealing and then deliver.

It's not certain. Authorities are obfuscating the details on purpose, likely for political and legal reasons.

It's certain that they are obfuscating details. And they want to hide something. So they need to be taken to task.

That sector has been growing for a long time. And I would suspect that those numbers are not revealed as to how many are involved in surveillance. Check out CSIS's new digs here in Ottawa.

Ironically, the very issue where the government is eschewing the concept is also the best opportunity to achieve a start to a practical use of Open Gov.

You are advocating for an open society in general, not just an open government. I think your view on what open government is, is not consistent.

You are advocating for an open society in general, not just an open government. I think your view on what open government is, is not consistent.

I don't know what "open society" means. If I were to guess, it would be something like what we have today.

"Open Government" by no means implies that secrecy or privacy will go away.

I stopped reading the post after that silly analogy.

Thats not a silly analogy at all, in fact its very apt. It needs to be drilled into people that searching your email is no different than searching your car or your house or tapping your phone. The danger here is that electronic communications can be siezed in a much less obtrusive way so we might be stupid enough to allow it. But the government reading your email is absolutely no different than them putting a microphone in your living room so that they can here your conversations.

People either have the right to communicate in private or they dont.

Electronic communications should be treated exactly like phone calls or verbal conversations. The government can eavesdrop on you if they need to... they just need to give a judge a good reason for why they need to do it.

Edited by dre