Execution Botched By Heart Attack

A man in Oklahoma was going through the process of execution when something went wrong. Witnesses described the man convulsing and writhing on the gurney, as well as struggling to speak, before officials blocked the witnesses from seeing. He eventually died about a half hour later of a heart attack. The execution of a second inmate was postponed.

Thousands of individuals kill themselves through injections every year. These folks in Oklahoma seem to have poor medical advice.

I find it ironic that a society which feels that an execution is an acceptable criminal penalty would care how that individual dies.

The irony here is that if the individual would have survived the heart attack then he would have been treated until he was healthy enough to be executed.

Personally, I agree with capital punishment but find the logic and the process questionable. What is wrong with a well placed bullet?

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems to me, the big punishment regarding capital punishment isn't the death, it's the pre-amble the comes before the death.

You have to have a ceremony and a speech then the person dies in front of an audience.

I'd prefer they gas me in my cell while I'm sleeping.

What I have found hard to believe with this story are reports that governments wont reveal where they acquire the drugs used in lethat injection death penalty cases. I would have thought that with all the hi-tech they have and they can't make their own poison. Apparently this could be the death penalty for the death penalty in the States. Of course that would take them out of that elevated group of countries they currently share policy with such as Tonga, Bangladesh, Saudi Arabia, Iraq, etc., etc.

What I have found hard to believe with this story are reports that governments wont reveal where they acquire the drugs used in lethat injection death penalty cases.

The makers are worried about militants , protesters etc.

So in order to provide they get the State to sign a waiver saying they wont tell

Why not use the thing they use to kill cows. A bolt right to the back of the neck, instant death. Why this whole ceremony around the whole thing.

I kind of agree, but the new rules state no unusual or prolonged deaths, and I guess the bolt gun to the front of the head betw the eyes is too barbaric.

Actually, that bolt is not the killer but the stun part, the cutting of the throat is what kills the cows.

Sad to say, firing squad seems better than most, or the guillotine.

And ....I do not support state executions , although had the families of the deceased victims done the same to these convicted killers I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it. But thats another story.

Sad to say, firing squad seems better than most, or the guillotine.

And ....I do not support state executions , although had the families of the deceased victims done the same to these convicted killers I wouldnt lose a moments sleep over it. But thats another story.

Firing squad or guillotine is certainly the best way to go, i agree.

I also agree with your last statement. I'm against a government having the death penalty as an option because of the possibility of an innocent person being executed, but I have no problem with the way this scumbag went. Too quick, to be honest.

I also agree with your last statement. I'm against a government having the death penalty as an option because of the possibility of an innocent person being executed,

One need only look at the number of wrongful convictions to see how horrible the state can be.

but I have no problem with the way this scumbag went. Too quick, to be honest.

Im not worried he died, just how he went, incompetent boobs , the Warden et al.

Theyd screw up a one car parade.

Given the individual involved I find it difficult to work up much sympathy. If he died slowly and in agony, well, you know, karma can be a bitch, eh...

Statements like that indicate you are as sick as the crazy bastard they killed. Killing is wrong, I don't care who is doing it. America and Tonga, and Iraq, and Bangladesh, go for it US of A.

Statements like that indicate you are as sick as the crazy bastard they killed. Killing is wrong, I don't care who is doing it. America and Tonga, and Iraq, and Bangladesh, go for it US of A.

So one guy shoots a woman and buries her alive, and the other makes a post on the internet you don't like, and they are both equally sick?

...and China, Japan, India, Indonesia, and many other nations. Majority of the world's population perhaps. Very popular !

Killing is wrong

...and those who do it should be given the same mercy they gave their victims.

We don't kill people often enough, it should be much more common. When you commit heinous crimes, you are no longer of any benefit to society and you should be removed. The victims, families of victims, and society at large should not have to warehouse these criminals. A bullet and an open pit is much more humane to all the people who are NOT monsters.

...and those who do it should be given the same mercy they gave their victims.

We don't kill people often enough, it should be much more common. When you commit heinous crimes, you are no longer of any benefit to society and you should be removed. The victims, families of victims, and society at large should not have to warehouse these criminals. A bullet and an open pit is much more humane to all the people who are NOT monsters.

How many bullets have been put in the heads of innocent people?

...and China, Japan, India, Indonesia, and many other nations. Majority of the world's population perhaps. Very popular !

And Americans will drone on ad nauseum about their constitution, and then in a heartbeat, pardon the expression, they will completely abandon it to express their size nine neck, size four hat, redneck ideas. I think the constitution has something in it about "cruel and unusial punishment" I'm sure you've heard of it.

1. There is no perfect justice system. There were and will always be mistakes where innocent people are found guilty. When the state executes people it is a matter of time before innocent blood is on the state's hands.

2. IMO, it is often more merciful to execute a criminal than to let him live the rest of his life in prison. I see no benefits to capital punishment and many, many costs.

Edited by carepov

1. There is no perfect justice system. There were and will always be mistakes where innocent people are found guilty. When the state executes people it is a matter of time before innocent blood is on the state's hands.

2. IMO, it is often more merciful to execute a criminal than to let him live the rest of his life in prison. I see no benefits to capital punishment and many, many costs.

I bet if you ask them, most won't want mercy.

I agree with your first point, and that's why I could never advocate the death penalty as a choice for the court system, but if there was a way of knowing beyond any doubt that a person was guilty, I can't think of a reason to leave them alive.

... I think the constitution has something in it about "cruel and unusial punishment" I'm sure you've heard of it.

There is nothing cruel or unusual about capital punishment administered in a manner prescribed by law. The U.S. has executed over 3100 since reinstating the death penalty in the 1970's.