New York is a Very Kind City - Or Losing Fight With Icy Sidewalk

I will admit it; I ran for my train out of Port Chester (not in New York City but about 40 Trudeau Units away), foot went out on an ankle on the ice, and I got a nice foot fracture. After limping to the office, from 42nd to 32nd Street, a billing coordinator directed me to a medical clinic. Within a few hours I was on the mend, with a heavy therapeutic boot on my foot.

Each time since I have ridden the train, people have offered me the outside seat, offered to hold the door for me, and extended all manner of kindness. People have offered to come to my office to discuss matters rather than hailing me to their offices. The fact is that I am not in pain, so I almost always reject the kindnesses, with profuse thanks.

New York has a reputation for being a cold, uncaring city. That could not be further from the truth.

I grew up using Fahrenheit, but Celsius is a way better system for telling temperature. Having 0 be the freezing point makes a lot of sense.

I still don't know what I weigh in kilograms though or what a good deal is for a kilogram of apples. And I even mix up systems in my head. For some reason, I know that seven grams makes a quarter-ounce.

You are ooooold.....

I like our mix of systems. People here are fluent in both. It's like being bilingual. It's a win-win.

We don't technically have a mix, though you're right people use both. Imperial is still used for weight and some distances, but that's all.

JBG's obsession with the metric system and the Queen's English always makes me chortle. The former was always a bone of contention among my redneck relatives back in the day. I'm sure they've moved on and joined the rest of the world in using the metric system.

We don't technically have a mix, though you're right people use both. Imperial is still used for weight and some distances, but that's all.

Nope....as amply demonstrated in this fun metric romp:

http://www.mapleleafweb.com/forums/topic/20412-metrication-canada;-how-is-it-working/

But getting back on topic, my brother slipped and broke his leg on an icy sidewalk in NYC about 20 years ago and was promptly cared for by passersby and the local health care facilities. No wonder he loves NYC.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

JBG's obsession with the metric system and the Queen's English always makes me chortle. The former was always a bone of contention among my redneck relatives back in the day. I'm sure they've moved on and joined the rest of the world in using the metric system.

I know that officially we don't have a mix. But most people use a mix and understand both.

I doubt anyone born after 1975 uses much Imperial beyond feet, inches and pounds. Miles, gallons, never.

Very true...

I never use miles or gallons. Feet and inches I use... but metres, not yards... pounds or kilograms are interchangeable...

It's funny in most of Europe they are very much metric. 180cm tall... 90kg... 6 decilitres of milk, not 2.5 cups for the muffin recipe!

I grew up using Fahrenheit, but Celsius is a way better system for telling temperature. Having 0 be the freezing point makes a lot of sense.

I still don't know what I weigh in kilograms though or what a good deal is for a kilogram of apples. And I even mix up systems in my head. For some reason, I know that seven grams makes a quarter-ounce.

Yeah, I wonder why...

Isn't a "90 degree day" more descriptive than a "32 degree day"?

So would anyone who can tell a fathom from 216 pieces of barley placed end to end.

don't forget knots, nautical miles and cables!

Most people in Windsor, Ontario sure would know what 90 degrees means.

Didn't you read my post above where it was explained that most Canadians know both systems?

• 2 months later...

Update.

Foot fully recovered, I am now jogging and playing tennis again. And spending less time on MLW.

• 3 years later...