Climate activists hold signs behind Harper

Unless you consider EVs. Also, to reduce fossil fuel consumption and CO2 emissions in the transportation sector, you can use more natural gas vehicles, you can make investments that reduce the amount of cars on the road, you can also....

No, not EV's. They are not even close to sustainable vs cost. The only realistic EV's that come anywhere close are Tesla, and those are $70,000+, require massive fossil fuel combustion to build, and power from your local fossil fuel burning plant to charge.

Not if it done right. It's similar to what you just wrote about natural gas prices in Canada. If the OECD countries increase energy costs but and cut energy demand this will effectively increase global energy supplies and the price of energy should go down for developing economies.

That's the problem, there is no way to 'do it right'. There is only one way to reduce our consumption, and that is to make us poorer. When people are poorer, they consume less. That can happen by increasing cost of oil, increased taxes, or other financial hardship. This will have the OPPOSITE effect on poor people, because their prosperity is dependent on ours. When we have more cash to spare, we export more from them, use more labor in their countries, buy more manufacturered products from them, etc. Blindly making ourselves poorer will not help, it will hurt them.

The truly poor do not need slightly cheaper gas. They need work and opportunity. That comes from collectively global prosperity, not self-punishment. But regardless, increased prosperity and innovation has ALSO led to cheaper gas as well.

Second, there are plenty of actions that we can take to reduce energy consumption without reducing our standard of living.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/energy/debunking-myths-about-nuclear-fuel-coal-wind-solar-10

None of those things are helped by limiting fossil fuel consumption right now, they are all hindered by it. We desperately need cheaper fuels to sustain more productivity, more wealth, and therefore more innovation to make all those technologies better for the future. Reducing FF consumption will just retard that process, not advance it.

Edited by hitops

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worked the last two times...

really? How did I miss that... Simple's comment was a plaintive defeatist lament carved out from the woes that have beset Harper! Clearly, when one can't find the positives, Harper Conservative supporters reach for the, "we could do a lot worse" platitude!

It was humorous to see how cool Harper was and was so quick to say "It wouldn't be BC without it". The audience got a big kick out of it. It's nice to see the man out of the Ottawa political bubble - his answers are never scripted or shallow - the guy knows his stuff. You may not like him - and may not vote for him - but he is well respected around the world - and in the business community. We could do a lot worse.

Yeah I don't think they were laughing because they thought he was cool. It appears that even a buffoon like Chris Christie is more up front than our boy.

No, not EV's. They are not even close to sustainable vs cost. The only realistic EV's that come anywhere close are Tesla, and those are $70,000+, require massive fossil fuel combustion to build, and power from your local fossil fuel burning plant to charge.

Remember, we were talking about nuclear plants powering cars. This will not happen in the short term...\

That's the problem, there is no way to 'do it right'. There is only one way to reduce our consumption, and that is to make us poorer. ...

When I save money on energy I get richer - not poorer. We have been getting more effiecient every year - and richer too.

Remember, we were talking about nuclear plants powering cars. This will not happen in the short term...\

When I save money on energy I get richer - not poorer. We have been getting more effiecient every year - and richer too.

There is no realistic conceivable chance in the near or remote future of nuclear power, powering cars. Any chance that there is, will be retarded, not advanced, by limiting fossil fuel consumption today.

The problem with your premise is that you won't save money on energy by limited consumption of energy, you will save less. If consumption goes down, that necessitates that cost has gone up. Ergo, your cost goes up. There has been on development that has reduced your energy costs - the massive rise of fraking, the opposite of limiting consumption.

We have been getting more efficient, but not richer. The average Canadian is overall poorer than years ago, as wages have fallen in real terms, and costs of living substantially increased. Because of increased energy harvesting and consumption in the domestic US, it is making them richer and driving their energy costs down.

Edited by hitops

Well, under the (dubious) premise that this is a serious question, you get the same answer you'd get if any other celebrity figure were the subject; if enough people tune out of Enright's show, he will be replaced.

Or here's a crazy idea. You could just turn the dial and ignore him.

I tried that with Harper but he's still wrecking the country.

Yeah I hear those paper signs were razor sharp! Maybe we could use them in the guillotine?

I have no problem if those people and any signs are 100 feet from him, in front of him.

But there is no fucking way that anybody should be anywhere near that close to any PM of any political stripe at any time.

Epic fail by the security detail.

Epic fail by Harpers staff if they don't change whatever caused that failure.

There is no realistic conceivable chance in the near or remote future of nuclear power, powering cars. Any chance that there is, will be retarded, not advanced, by limiting fossil fuel consumption today.

We were talking about nuclear power plants. You agreed that they are a good idea but cannot power cars. I am just pointing out that they can by charging the batteries of EVs.

The problem with your premise is that you won't save money on energy by limited consumption of energy, you will save less. If consumption goes down, that necessitates that cost has gone up. Ergo, your cost goes up. There has been on development that has reduced your energy costs - the massive rise of fraking, the opposite of limiting consumption.

Wisely conserving energy can prevent rising energy costs by reducing demand.

We have been getting more efficient, but not richer. The average Canadian is overall poorer than years ago, as wages have fallen in real terms, and costs of living substantially increased. Because of increased energy harvesting and consumption in the domestic US, it is making them richer and driving their energy costs down.

These claims are false.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/protester-sean-devlin-tells-how-he-got-onstage-with-pm-1.2486133

That's kind of embarrassing for Harper's security detail, but beyond that, this is just another example of pure unadulterated ignorance. Climate justice?

What this is about is the desire of the so-called "leaders" of Third World countries for cash in exchange for the perceived damage climate change causes them. Is the money likely to be used for development? Probably not.

really? How did I miss that...

I don't know. Nobody else did. His main opponents were even worse speakers then him, uncharismatic and unlikeable, as well as having unpallatable platforms. Why wouldn't one vote Harper given that?

If you spend $10000 on new insulation that saves you $100/year in energy costs are you richer or are you poorer? Edited by TimG

I have no problem if those people and any signs are 100 feet from him, in front of him.

But there is no fucking way that anybody should be anywhere near that close to any PM of any political stripe at any time.

Epic fail by the security detail.

Epic fail by Harpers staff if they don't change whatever caused that failure.

I don't think any previous PM has been as concerned with the peaseants the Canadian public getting close to them as Harper. What makes Harper so special?

If you spend $10000 on new insulation that saves you $100/year in energy costs are you richer or are you poorer?

No but if you needed new insulation, it's a nice "frill".

Same with new HVAC appliances. A new furnace is a big ticket purchase I know is coming, and I'm dreading. But when I'll have to replace my current furnace, I'll certainly opt for an energy efficient model.

Wisely conserving energy can prevent rising energy costs by reducing demand.

This accomplishes absolutely nothing for poor people in other countries. It just makes us less prosperous and therefore makes them less prosperous.

These claims are false.

They are demonstrably true, and very easy to verify. Just look at incomes over the last 30 years. It's also a fact that energy costs are decreasing because of falling natural gas and stabilizing oil prices.

What do you think of Neil Young's opinion?

Neil Young has an enormous carbon footprint compared to the average person. The energy use to travel all over the place, tour with a band, perform concerts, and record and distribute albums dwarfs that of most people. When he stops those activities, I might take him seriously. In the meantime, the oil sands support the jobs of many, many average people who do not have millions of dollars like Niel Young to fall back on.

But when I'll have to replace my current furnace, I'll certainly opt for an energy efficient model.

When I did this I had a choice between the 97% efficient and the 93% efficient model because the math did not justify the extra cost (even assuming increases in energy costs).

This is an example of why academics who estimate the "savings" to be had from energy efficiency are likely over stating their case.

Edited by TimG