Uganda passes anti-gay law

kimmy

The "Kill the Gays" law which has been the topic of much discussion has passed parliament in Uganda. It is no longer the "Kill the Gays" bill, as the death penalty has been removed. Instead, homosexual activity is punishable by life imprisonment. Failing to report suspected homosexuals to the authorities is also a criminal offense under the law.

-k

Guest Derek L
Welcome to the 21st century I guess :rolleyes:

Sadly, Kony’s Lord’s Resistance Army isn’t a viable alternative……..I think there isn’t much we (as in the West) can do about it other then to acknowledge that there is still backwards, evil people in the World….

I think there isn’t much we (as in the West) can do about it other then to acknowledge that there is still backwards, evil people in the World….

I agree, not any intervention we can do anyways. But we can speak out about it, and try to set a good example to inspire other countries. It's better to use soft power rather than hard power here.

Guest Derek L

I agree, not any intervention we can do anyways. But we can speak out about it, and try to set a good example to inspire other countries. It's better to use soft power rather than hard power here.

Like Rwanda?

The cold reality is Uganda and Russia are but two of numerous nations that have governments intolerant of gays.

Sending Billy Jean King to Russia or what-ever may ease some liberal guilt types but the bottom line is in the long run

there is a lot on this planet that still needs to evolve and its wishful thinking to believe this crap won't be around for a long time to come.

Don't get me wrong, we have to find ways to fight ignorance I am just saying from a practical perspective Ugandan gays

will have to find a way.

The use of "soft power" didn't prove too effective.....

I assume you're talking about the genocide, but a genocide is different than jailing homosexuals. A lot of countries jail or execute homosexuals and we can't go around to all of them and invade and/or do some fancy regime change, or assassinate leaders and install puppet governments. We could do sanctions, but it's also not very realistic to start sanctions with all such countries, like Saudi Arabia.

It is complicated for sure. Sanctions usually end up hurting people who have no say in the matter from the outset. The Saudi oil barons will be killing gays and spending our money no matter what we do. It's just going to take some more time before we can shed this shackle of religion from around our necks. The world will be a better place if we can ever achieve that.

• 2 weeks later...

What about them?

He is using Turkey, Malysia etc as examples of Muslim countries that are not shitholes.

It raises a question though.... Turkey is not a shithole, it is an interesting and vibrant place that is not an Islamic republic. The stated religion of Turks is overwhelmingly Muslim, but constitutionally is a secular nation.

So do you have to be an Islamic republic such as Iran to be a 'Muslim country' and therefore a shithole, or does having a lot of Muslims enough for you Shady? If the latter, we'll have to add the UK to your generic list of shitholes, perhaps France too.

Oh, and I'd add Indonesia to the list of countries that are overwhemingly Muslim but are not shitholes. They have many challenges for sure, but still an interesting place with the potential for a good future.

Can we do a list of Christian shitholes next?

We could start with Venezuela.

Edited by overthere