2015 Federal Election Prediction

• Replies 471
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because when Harper is sent kicking horse turds down the road, pot will be legalized just like it has been by our neighbors.

Why will it be legalized though? If pot smokers in BC were not able to get 300k signatures, who is really going to push this legislation Canada wide? Trudeau has said that he plans to, but of course, based on the NDP’s differing stance, I fail to see outside of a Liberal Majority (which is highly unlikely next year) that ever happening……

At least we will be a few steps down the road toward what's inevitable in any case. And a few steps away from Harper's silliness. Don't know if you heard the interview where he told Mansbridge that "when you buy that joint you are not buying it from your neighbor, but from the Mexican cartels" or words to that effect. Good going Stephen Harper, your TOC bill will keep the cartels in power. He's not rteally that stupid I don't think, he just scrapes the barrel for votes wherever he can see one.

At least we will be a few steps down the road toward what's inevitable in any case. And a few steps away from Harper's silliness. Don't know if you heard the interview where he told Mansbridge that "when you buy that joint you are not buying it from your neighbor, but from the Mexican cartels" or words to that effect. Good going Stephen Harper, your TOC bill will keep the cartels in power. He's not rteally that stupid I don't think, he just scrapes the barrel for votes wherever he can see one.

Are not the cartels and organized crime afforded their power and influence through monetary gain received through supplying a product to reach a demand by a segment of the citizenry?
Also, to steer this back on topic, I’ve yet to see Trudeau’s plan outlined, but he has stated that he would tax pot……Are all pot users willing to pay a tax to the government, well purchasing a product from a corporation?
Could not legalization of pot create another underground market of pot sans tax? If so, how would a Trudeau Government stamp out a underground, tax-free, pot market?

Are not the cartels and organized crime afforded their power and influence through monetary gain received through supplying a product to reach a demand by a segment of the citizenry?
Also, to steer this back on topic, I’ve yet to see Trudeau’s plan outlined, but he has stated that he would tax pot……Are all pot users willing to pay a tax to the government, well purchasing a product from a corporation?
Could not legalization of pot create another underground market of pot sans tax? If so, how would a Trudeau Government stamp out a underground, tax-free, pot market?

Think about it. If you want a 6 pack you go to the gov. run store and buy it. No worries about being arrested and getting your picture up at the post office. Why not the same for pot. And then, bye bye cartels. You can in essence buy it from your neighbor.

Think about it. If you want a 6 pack you go to the gov. run store and buy it. No worries about being arrested and getting your picture up at the post office. Why not the same for pot. And then, bye bye cartels. You can in essence buy it from your neighbor.

I never said I was opposed to the liberalization of pot laws……..But I don’t know how the same end for pot smokers couldn’t be achieved by decriminalization…..Are recreational pot users being hassled by the Man even now?

I hasten to add, anybody with half a brain in their head who wants a joint can get one in 5 minutes and will do so, (my lawyer friends included) regardless of what the law says. So why not cash in on the tax windfall like Washington and Colorado are doing.

How much do they expect to receive in tax revenue?

Unh ... gee ... is there an underground tax free booze market?

Is there? I don’t know…..but I understand there is quite a market for cigarettes……..using legal cigarettes as an example, would pot smokers favour a Trudeau tax on their weed, or would they just get their pot as they currently do?
I’ve no issue, like I said, with decriminalizing pot, but I fail to see the benefit for pot smokers and why they would pay a sin tax……….Also, under Trudeau’s pot plan, how does he intend to regulate the production and distribution of it? Will he create a new bureaucracy to police legal pot?

to regulate the production and distribution of it? Will he create a new bureaucracy to police legal pot?

I live in Southern Ontario. Our municipality has already had to create zoning restrictions specially for marijuana growing. It includes things like safety, security, set backs, confinement etc. We have had to do this to accommodate 2 developments that are creating indoor marijuana growing facilities. Their applications have now been approved and there a 3 more applications in the wings. The local OPP have been part of the negotiations and are pleased with the results.

I live in Southern Ontario. Our municipality has already had to create zoning restrictions specially for marijuana growing. It includes things like safety, security, set backs, confinement etc. We have had to do this to accommodate 2 developments that are creating indoor marijuana growing facilities. Their applications have now been approved and there a 3 more applications in the wings. The local OPP have been part of the negotiations and are pleased with the results.

Sure, but that’s not the same scope as a federally regulated industry………..
And more on the “pot” front and Trudeau:
Marc Emery, the so-called "prince of pot" who has vowed to campaign across the country for Justin Trudeau, could already be getting the brush off from Liberals, who despite their leader’s call for the legalization of marijuana, may not want to be linked to the controversial activist.

Are the Trudeau Liberals have a rethink on their pot policy going into 2015?

I don't imagine the Marc Emery headline is the most welcomed by JT, specifically due to the criminal conviction due to the cross border stuff. However we all know that none of us who smoke a joint now and then have any trouble finding one. Under Harper's guidance we will have to continue to buy it from the cartels. I'd rather buy it from my neighbor.

And yet the government still collects a boat load of tax from tobacco. Right now, marijuana costs the government money, and does no more harm (probably significantly less) than alcohol.

It's nonsensical.

And yet the government still collects a boat load of tax from tobacco. Right now, marijuana costs the government money, and does no more harm (probably significantly less) than alcohol.

It's nonsensical.

I really don’t care up or down, but is their actually scientific data that suggest pot has less negative effects than alcohol………
None the less, it’s telling that the Trudeau Liberals appear to be distancing themselves from Emery.

I really don’t care up or down, but is their actually scientific data that suggest pot has less negative effects than alcohol………
None the less, it’s telling that the Trudeau Liberals appear to be distancing themselves from Emery.

Why would they not distance themselves from a convicted criminal?

As to the scientific data - yes there actually is. Marijuana, like all smoke, is harmful, but not in the same way as cigarettes or even alcohol when it comes to the carcinogenic effects. It's also shown to have no negative effect on the adult brain. There's no reason for it to be illegal (note that this doesn't mean I think anyone should do it. I don't like any type of mind altering substance, but, I don't find it to be any of my business).