Affirmative action: what do you think of it?

You started a thread based on a dislike of some religions from what I can see, and advocated for some kind of policy that would bring religion into some method of evaluation.

This is a false claim. I started the 'progressive racism' thread in a response to a locked thread where I was trying to clarify the position that Pat Condell had because people misunderstood it. Or are you talking about the burka thread where I started it out of theological interest to see if my understanding of the Quran and that the Burka was against islam was valid?

Also, I have not advocated for some policy that would 'bring religion into some method of evaluation'. Having the state trying determine what is or isn't a religion, who is a member of what religion, and what different religions advocate is not feasible. Considering the effects of religion on society from various immigrant groups, particularly wahhabi islam which promotes misogyny, homophobia and domestic terrorism, should be a factor when determining which countries should be favoured for immigration. But the immigration law itself should not depend on religion or religious beliefs.

Please don't stand on your chair, flushed, and breathlessly tell me you have never discriminated.

I have never discriminated.

It may be true, but your moral outrage is ridiculous if you advocate policies that enact discrimination.

Which policies that enact discrimination have I advocated? Please list them.

You on the other hand advocate the discriminative policy of affirmative action.

It's clearly not a matter of character as you have accepted that you agree with borderline racist policies and you somehow don't like religion - although I'm not going to read six weeks of posts to find out exactly how your complicated rationalizations work.

Lol, the way you say I agree with borderline racist policies makes me sound so bad. I have never said I agree with borderline racist policies. What you are referring to is the fact that I think it is okay for an employer to take into account an employee's physical appearance for an acting job where physical appearance is relevant. This is not however a policy.

And yes I do not like religion. There are many atheists and other non-religious people that do not like religion either. I do not think that a collection of lies and fairy tales masquerading as truth, misguiding people and giving people false hope about a non-existent afterlife is something to be liked.

Also, I don't see much difference in people who have prejudice against race than religion.

You do not see the difference between prejudice against people cause they believe, by choice, in a bunch of ridiculous fairy tales when these beliefs have caused numerous wars, genocides and preventions of the advancement of humanity versus prejudice against someone because they are born with certain genetic characteristics, not by choice, when these genetic characteristics are not sufficient to justify their irrational prejudice?

Maybe your feelings are just hurt cause you do not like people saying religion is a bunch of lies and ridiculous fairy tales?

I'm sensing a lack of forward momentum on this thread, so for that and other reasons I shall recuse myself.

Okay, so because you are losing the argument, just accuse me of being racist and then leave.

Edited by -1=e^ipi

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it racist to focus on white people for a campaign to prevent skin cancer?

It depends how it is done. Skin cancer affects people from all races, but people with less melanin are at higher risk. If the campaign targets everyone but mentions that people with less melanin are at greater risk then it is fine. If the campaign says that it will only help white people who suffer from skin cancer (but not black people who suffer from skin cancer) then it is racist.

I agree, depending on how its done, some actions/policies that benefit a certain race and not others are not racist - and if they are sensibly done and provide value to society then they are good policies.

One such policy is the Strategic Plan for Aboriginal Corrections

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/aboriginal/002003-1001-eng.shtml

Do you agree?

I agree, depending on how its done, some actions/policies that benefit a certain race and not others are not racist - and if they are sensibly done and provide value to society then they are good policies.

One such policy is the Strategic Plan for Aboriginal Corrections

http://www.csc-scc.gc.ca/aboriginal/002003-1001-eng.shtml

Do you agree?

I do not agree. The whole plan distinguishes between non-aboriginal and aboriginal people based upon race; everyone should be equal under the law. Now if you wanted to make a strategic plan for 'people of remote communities' corrections, then I would might be okay with it.

Too bad AW left, the circles her and what's it's ^ could have danced around each would have been the stuff of legend.

I'm pretty sure the semantical whirlwind that would've resulted could destroy whole trailer parks. What do I know though I'm just a racist.

You do not see the difference between prejudice against people cause they believe, by choice, in a bunch of ridiculous fairy tales when these beliefs have caused numerous wars, genocides and preventions of the advancement of humanity versus prejudice against someone because they are born with certain genetic characteristics, not by choice, when these genetic characteristics are not sufficient to justify their irrational prejudice?

In so much as your prejudice is based from actions and spoken words of individuals who may or may not represent the views of the individual you are discriminating against. That individual most likely had no control of those actions. So yes on the evaluation your prejudice is just as irrational as racial prejudice, not that there's anything wrong with that.