Will Stephen Harper resign over the Senate scandal?

Harper Resignation  

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not technically no. It's no. Full stop. Wallin, Brazeau, and Duffy now realize that he can't do anything to them. The party whip can try to get the Conservative senators to all vote together a particular way, but they are by no means required to... Harper has no authority over Senators. There's literally nothing he can do to them that would be of any consequence.

It's true he has no direct way of removing a senator or docking their pay or inflicting some other punishment upon them. But, jacee is right in that that won't stop him from trying to get as many senators as is needed to agree that removing the disgraced three is the best course of action. He can attempt to do that either by trying to make a convincing argument that suspending the senators is the right thing to do, or he can make threats. However, for the latter to work, the senators he'd be threatening would have to be so dumb as to believe that Harper actually has some sort of control over their futures. Evidently some Conservative senators understand that isn't true and, even after agreeing in camera with Harper that Brazeau, Wallin, and Duffy should be suspended, are now saying the way that end is being achieved is wrong--ie. a denial of due process--and are talking about voting against the motion as worded. Others, though, seem to just be the kind who ask 'how high?' when Harper says 'jump!'.

• Replies 304
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the weekend, I was watching the former speaking in a debate on government and he said that if a party was unhappy with the leader that they only needed 60% agreement and they could leave that party and start another. So I guess that means if Tory party rates go low like GW Bush's, and the possibility of wiping out the Conservatives, then McKay could leave and re-start the PC if he has 60%. Then Harper can go work in some bar singing. "Yesterday".

Anyone see QP today. The PM Par. Sec. isn't doing Harper any favours with his nasty answers and attacks on anyone that ask a question. The Tory Mp was out of control and isn't doing himself any favours either by some of his attacks and I think some went over the line and definitely off topic but I guess that was one does when there is no answers left . The guy was just nasty, hollering, I just had to turn the channel, worse I've seen yet.

Aw come on guys, don't you just hang on every word of those family stories Calandra spins as he tries to divert your attentioin from the actual question?

Cute I suppose but aint nobody buying it. Anyway it turns out that papers filed today by the RCMP bring them a fair bit closer to Harper. Just a matter of time I suspect before the walls come tumblin' down.

Anyone see QP today. The PM Par. Sec. isn't doing Harper any favours with his nasty answers and attacks on anyone that ask a question. The Tory Mp was out of control and isn't doing himself any favours either by some of his attacks and I think some went over the line and definitely off topic but I guess that was one does when there is no answers left . The guy was just nasty, hollering, I just had to turn the channel, worse I've seen yet.

Actually, I was wondering who that guy was. He seemed to be handling himself very well.

Everyone is tired of the same questions over and over, they have been answered over and over. And if your ilk want to keep it up, you will pay the price.

Today, the Liberals are bringing forward a motion to have the PM appear before a Parl. Committee, under oath and tell what he knows. Of course, it won't pass because the Tories have more votes. However, it will make Tory MP's have to answer to their constituents, why they voted no. On Yahoo.ca, they asked the question , should the PM appear before committee under oath and out of the 6869 who voted 80% said yes., that more then showed up at the Tory convention.

Today, the Liberals are bringing forward a motion to have the PM appear before a Parl. Committee, under oath and tell what he knows. Of course, it won't pass because the Tories have more votes. However, it will make Tory MP's have to answer to their constituents, why they voted no. On Yahoo.ca, they asked the question , should the PM appear before committee under oath and out of the 6869 who voted 80% said yes., that more then showed up at the Tory convention.

Can you imagine the fun we'd have if it did pass? Harper having to tell the truth under threat of prosecution.

Would you or Topaz believe him if he testified under oath? Would you then put the matter to rest? Yes or no would be helpful.

Well, I'd believe 50% more than I do now because I'd know that if he was telling a lie and it came out down the road, he would be punished, by saying it in the House, he can tell all kinds of lies and there no penalty.

My prediction--or guess, if you prefer--is that Harper will announce a national Referendum on the idea of an elected Senate.

What's the point of that until the Supreme Court has clarified what's constitutionally necessary to make such changes to the Senate? And, even then, an actual election process has to be spelled out to voters in a referendum; it can't simply be "Do you want an elected Senate, yes or no?"