Gravity - In three sentences (or so)

August1991

Guh?

IMHO, Chris Hadfield was talking more about realistic depictions of his pension, and potential status in life: "As a cost to Canadian taxpayers, I was once an astronaut - a famous person. Do you want to read my book/have sex with me?"

Compare Chris Hadfield and Marc Garneau with, uh, Neil Armstrong.

-----

Liberals or liberals or progressives or whatevers. Right/left. Conservatives. Kimmy, there is something called the "truth", and it's not putative.

This is such a quintessential August post. Smarmy, condescending and absolutely devoid of any substance.

FWIW, I thought Gravity was a pretty good little flick. I'm a big fan of Cuarón's work and this wasn't his best, but it was a technical/visual marvel. Best part? At 90 minutes, it's about half the length of most current big Hollywood movie's (or at least that's how they feel). No complaints.

Edited by Black Dog

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overthere, you make the same point as my OP.

Sandra Bullock was lucky. And you make my point once again.

====

So, here's the question: what of the future of film? Marshall McLuhan claimed that with technology, all old cultural expressions become "art".

And you missed mine entirely.

Movies - the best of movies, not the made-for-TV crap- have always been made for the experience of the theater.

Lawrence of Arabia for example..... made 50 years ago, for the big screen and still a visual feast. The future of movies at theaters is solid. There is really nothing new about the experience or why people go to movies in droves, beyond some technical tweaks. Talkies, Technicolor, Panavision. CGI.... none of these make much difference to why people pay to go.

Sandra Bullock was lucky how? She is a very well established actress with a recent Oscar who can pick her roles. They'd be courting her for the role, not the other way around

She's also getting a little old, where these vanity roles get much harder to get, perhaps her last time when a toned body will help.

"His point of view on this is deserving of more consideration than yours. Sorry."

Hadfield also plays guitar, but I wouldn't pay a nickel to watch him play guitar and would pay less for his opinion as film critic. I can also guarantee I've seen far more movies than him, and I pay attention.

Event Horizon? It makes many Top Ten movies about space lists. I guess all those movie critics are wrong, and acclaimed movie critics Chrius Hadfield and Michael Hardner are wrong....here is one of many http://www.digitalspy.ca/movies/at-the-movies/a527876/9-space-movies-you-need-to-watch-before-gravity-2001-alien-more.html

Another very strong contender, how could I forget the wonderful, classic The Right Stuff?

What are your Top 10 movies set in space? You don't have to rank them. We've got Event Horizon, Alien, 2001, what else?

"set in space"? The only reference to that is in post 12, where M Hardener says Chris Hadfield says Gravity is the best space movie ever. I don't assume anything other than it is the best movie Hadfield has seen on the subject. It is far from the best one I've seen, and I've seen plenty and listed several in previous posts.

I mentioned seven or 8 excellent movies related to space travel, but if you want only movies set in space we'd have to eliminate Gravity(earth scenes), 2001(same), Moon(moon only), Right Stuff(mostly earthbound), Alien(extraterrestrial scenes), Apollo 13(earth scenes).

This is such a quintessential August post. Smarmy, condescending and absolutely devoid of any substance.

Neil Armstrong never sold a book or made any money from his chance fame.

----

In case this matters to you BD, my friends and I in "real life" have debated Neil Armstrong's decision. The arguments/debates have involved racial/religious references.

For the record, I frankly think that Armstrong was foolish.

Edited by August1991

Here is what Chris Hadfield ACTUALLY SAID about Gravity:

http://teamcoco.com/video/conan-highlight-chris-hadfield-gravity-diapers

In the context of the question he was asked and the response he gave, it's completely retarded to propose that Star Wars or Wall-E or fricken Event Horizon are reasonable comparisons.

I can't address the topic of "GAY NIGGERS FROM SPACE" however.

-k

Guh?

IMHO, Chris Hadfield was talking more about realistic depictions of his pension, and potential status in life: "As a cost to Canadian taxpayers, I was once an astronaut - a famous person. Do you want to read my book/have sex with me?"

Are you suggesting that Hadfield has received financial consideration for praising the realism of Gravity?

Are you suggesting that Hadfield's opinion about the realism of Gravity is tainted by the fact that he is now selling a book?

To reiterate, you're claiming the movie got the physics all wrong; the guy who has actually been to space praises its realism, and the rest of us are more inclined to take Hadfield's word over yours.

Compare Chris Hadfield and Marc Garneau with, uh, Neil Armstrong.

By what standard are we to compare them?

Liberals or liberals or progressives or whatevers. Right/left. Conservatives. Kimmy, there is something called the "truth", and it's not putative.

What the hell are you even talking about? Is that a cut-and-paste you had left over from a message in a different thread? What does that have to do with what I wrote or what you wrote or anything in this thread?

The truth (and it's not putative, it's an objective fact) is that when it comes to movies, your posts are more "far out" than any science fiction movie ever made.

-k

What the hell are you even talking about?

See below.

So?

Armstrong, ever the simple Lutheran/Protestant, went back to Ohio State and taught physics.

In Jimmy Stewart/Hollywood America, he's a good guy.

But minority Catholic JFK had a different view of America: We'll show them all.

And then there's the Hollywood, Jewish, Kissinger view: America is a single guy with a gun.

Edited by August1991

Are you suggesting that Hadfield has received financial consideration for praising the realism of Gravity?

Are you suggesting that Hadfield's opinion about the realism of Gravity is tainted by the fact that he is now selling a book?

Yes.

To reiterate, you're claiming the movie got the physics all wrong; the guy who has actually been to space praises its realism, and the rest of us are more inclined to take Hadfield's word over yours.

Yes.

Fame, and the desire to do good, does this to some people.

===

IMHO, Neil Armstrong was typically American.

Edited by August1991

See below.

Armstrong, ever the simple Lutheran/Protestant, went back to Ohio State and taught physics.

In Jimmy Stewart/Hollywood America, he's a good guy.

But minority Catholic JFK had a different view of America: We'll show them all.

And then there's the Hollywood, Jewish, Kissinger view: America is a single guy with a gun.

You have a bizarre fascination with religion. Do you feel persecuted as a French Catholic?

Yes.

Ok, I see no point in attempting to have a serious discussion about that opinion.

Let's get back to discussing whether WALL-E is a realistic depiction of space.

Do you guys anticipate that the Voyager mission will have unexpected consequences similar to those depicted in Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

-k

Ok, I see no point in attempting to have a serious discussion about that opinion.

Do you guys anticipate that the Voyager mission will have unexpected consequences similar to those depicted in Star Trek: The Motion Picture?

-k

Huh? If you were Chris Hadfield what would you do?

I always preferred the screenwriter/casting perception of an astronaut: Jack Nicholson in Terms of Endearment.

Kimmy, on what planet are you living?

You have a bizarre fascination with religion. Do you feel persecuted as a French Catholic?

In fact, I'm a practicing Hindu from Jaffna. Edited by August1991

I can't address the topic of "GAY NIGGERS FROM SPACE" however.

Neither can I, I confess I haven't watched that one. I just threw it in to see if anybody was paying attention. It is an actual movie though.

Who was discussing that? Cybercoma defined the context a while back.. On the other hand, Wall E is a far, far better movie about space than Gravity.

How does Gravity compare to Contact?

mmm, good one. Gravity has terrific CGI and a feeble central character, an accomplished scientist who is (not believably) reduced somehow to gibbering paralysis by any hint of stress. Contact has a compelling story that is burdened by some awkward subplots and is at least half an hour too long.

I'd have to call this one a tie.

Matthew McConaughey is a lead in Contact, one of the tiring subplots that add little to the story. I mention him because I saw him in Dallas Buyers Club last night.

This guy has done a 180 degree turn in his career in the last few years. Most of his previous roles involve him preening without a shirt,a poor mans hunk.

Lately he has had some great turns in good movies: Bernie, Killer Joe, Mud, and now Dallas Buyers Club. For me, he has gone from being an actor to more or less avoid to one I will watch for with anticipation.

When Hadfield says this is the best space movie ever, you have to consider what kind of space movie he was thinking of. Gravity was fiction but not science fiction. Apollo 13 was not fiction. Just about everything else is science fiction. Best space movie? If he was thinking of a movie that portrays our current level of expertise in space in the most realistic manner even if the story itself is far fetched, I am not going to say he is wrong. If he was thinking of the best movie in the entire space genre, I would certainly disagree.

• 2 weeks later...

The fact is that Neil Armstrong did not make a big deal, never took advantage, of his chance status.

Marc Garneau, Chris Hadfield (far less significant astronautic people) seem to make a career of their status.

Yuri Gagarin died young, because of such celebrity IMHO.

=====

I reckon a sustainable society has many honest people like Armstrong who know their limits, abilities.

Societies of people with large Egos, like market bubbles, are a dangerous thing.

Edited by August1991