Let's Talk About Shaving

Being mostly lazy i dont like to shave, but i did switch to a merkur safety razor a few years ago and i wont go back to disposables, just be a bit more careful, especially don't slide or transfer the razor across you face while holding it close to your skin. Its a better shave i think, the blade seems to last longer, and its cheaper. I tried good electrics but they dont cut the hair well enough and it dries out my skin too much.

Do you prefer a particular blade over others, since you've tried so many?

I'm not a big fan of any of the ones in the Fusion series, only because of that bottom pivot point. I find it a little less responsive, especially in "tight" areas, like right under the nose. I'll still use them, but only if they're the only option. Sensor Excel is probably my default when none are on sale.

Any tips for shaving your head? I think I might try it for the rest of the summer.

Do it in the shower. Get one of those suction cup mounted mirrors. When finished remember to wear sunscreen or a hat. Adjustable baseball hats leave semi-circular tans on the back of your melon after some time in the sun.

Being mostly lazy i dont like to shave, but i did switch to a merkur safety razor a few years ago and i wont go back to disposables, just be a bit more careful, especially don't slide or transfer the razor across you face while holding it close to your skin. Its a better shave i think, the blade seems to last longer, and its cheaper. I tried good electrics but they dont cut the hair well enough and it dries out my skin too much.

I'm getting a Merkur this week. Not looking forward to the learning curve, but everyone that uses them seems to love them. So I'm looking forward to that. Thanks for the safety tips. Edited by cybercoma

An article I read one time about Gillette's marketing strategies did say that there is a difference between men's and women's razors, but I'm not sure if it's the sharpness of the blades. They said they need to be more conscious of the fact that women use their razors in more "sensitives and hard-to-see areas" than men. Gillette therefore keeps safety first and foremost in mind when designing women's razors. At least that's what they claimed. It makes sense though. This is why their women's razors have rounder designs and their handles provide a better grip for use in a tub.

i doubt minerals from the water accumulate that quickly on the blades. Even if they did, it's a failure in engineering (or perhaps a success, since we're stupid enough to keep buying them).

Just thought of this....what is that leather strap at the barbers used for? To clean the blade of mineral build up.

Same here. Every electric shaver I've tried has burned my neck something fierce.

Blades are expensive, but there are ways to minimize it.

I would wonder if some are pressing too hard with the electric shaver or otherwise using a technique that doesn't lend itself well to electric shaving.

I've almost exclusively used Braun shavers and my current one has an option to set the cutterblock back from the foil for a not-as-close shave, which I tend to use on the neck. Also, it disinfects itself with a solution which might reduce issues for those with more sensitive skin.

Back in 91 some people were handing out samples of the MK1 twin blade Sensor outside Shinagawa Sation in Tokyo. Liked it and still using one but blades aren't always easy to find. Probably have to change soon. Also have an electric which is handy at times but I agree that they can't compare to a blade.

Yes I think it's true that a blade makes for a closer shave. I have tried it and it seemed too close, my neck became full of red irritated spots. With a shaver I found it works best when there are skin oils on your face, in other words, don't wash your face before shaving.

Recently, the major razor companies were whining that the "hipster" beard trend is ruining their razor sales. A pack of Gillette Fusion blades costs nearly $35 for 8. I've decided that I'm going to switch to a double-edged Merkur safety razor (kit also has a top quality badger hair brush) and see if I can get the knack for that down. There's a fantastic Canadian site with great deals on shaving supplies. I don't want this thread deleted as "spam," so if anyone's interested let me know and I'll pass along the details. So what are we shaving with these days, gentlemen?

I have a good quality clipper.... It doesnt give me as close of a shave as a blade or mens shaver but its super quick, and I havent had to put new blades in it for about 3 years.

I couldn't use a rotary shaver either, but obviously it works fine for many as does a blade vs a shaver. I've heard that one's skin adapts to whatever you use, and that whiskers start to grow a certain direction depending on what style shaver one uses.

I couldn't use a rotary shaver either, but obviously it works fine for many as does a blade vs a shaver. I've heard that one's skin adapts to whatever you use, and that whiskers start to grow a certain direction depending on what style shaver one uses.

It's true. A foil shaver, ie, Braun, might have worked better for me. I'm not sure. I used the rotary shaver consistently for about 3 months, despite the irritation, because the instructions indicated what you've said: your skin adapts and whiskers adjust to the shaver. It never happened though. Just so you know what I'm talking about, THIS is the shaver I was using. Anyway, it was no good for me, but I'm sure it works great for other people. I eventually gave it away to a family member that swears by rotary shavers and was using a more inexpensive $70 one. He said he gets the best shave of his life out of the thing and couldn't be happier. He's like you about the redness as well though. He can't shave after a shower or with a hot towel because he breaks out from it. I found that if I didn't shave after a shower with the rotary shaver, the redness was even worse. Long story short, everyone's face is different. :)

• 2 months later...

I thought I would come back to this thread. I've been using the double-edge razor for awhile now and it's seriously the best decision I ever made. Shaving is a pleasure now and it's much easier to use than you would expect. I can't imagine shaving with anything else now for the rest of my life. Except maybe a straight razor. I might get into that eventually. I'll probably start with a shavette first though.

• 8 months later...

I heard about DollarShaveClub.com through a podcast ad and decided to give it a try. There are 3 head options containing 2, 4 or 6 blades. The prices range from $3.50/month to $9.50/month for 4 cartridges. I give the service 2 thumbs up. The blades are great, they arrive on time every month and they are very inexpensive.

https://ca.dollarshaveclub.com/select-blade