CBC Spending Tax Dollars on A Little Black Book on Sun News

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a lot of junk on CTV and Global and soon Ma bell will control us all. The only good station is the CBC. Like Harper, Conservatives don't like anything that makes them think.

It's the opposite. CBC is for people who have no capacity to think for themselves. They're Fox News for lefties.

"CBC spending taxpayers $$s to silence Sun News Nework" is what the title of the OP should read. CBC is the purest example of wasting tax dollars before this and now they want anyone who calls them out to go away? Apparently they do at "everyone's" expense.. This should be the last straw to cut the umbilical cord Canada and let them compete on even ground...

The CBC has a mandate that other stations do not. Here is the mandate:

the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation, as the national public broadcaster, should provide radio and television services incorporating a wide range of programming that informs, enlightens and entertains; ...the programming provided by the Corporation should:

• be predominantly and distinctively Canadian,
  • reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,
  • actively contribute to the flow and exchange of cultural expression,
  • be in English and in French, reflecting the different needs and circumstances of each official language community, including the particular needs and circumstances of English and French linguistic minorities,
  • strive to be of equivalent quality in English and French,
  • contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,
  • be made available throughout Canada by the most appropriate and efficient means and as resources become available for the purpose, and
  • reflect the multicultural and multiracial nature of Canada.

They do a good job of achieving the mandate and majority of Canadians are in favour of the CBC continuing the way it is.

Edited by Hudson Jones

Here is what Canadians think of the CBC, as according to a poll by Nanos Research.

Mar 23, 2012

Executive Summary

Canadians are generally satisfied with the programs and content provided by the CBC. They are more likely to support maintaining current funding compared to a cut or increase and believe that possible cuts would likely have a negative impact in terms of Canadian content, local news and national news. These are the key findings of a study conducted by Nanos Research for the Friends of Canadian Broadcasting.

Link

Hockey Night in Canada !! TheCBC certainly get market share from that show. I watch CBC! There I have admitted it. Could Hockey in Canada not survive without CBC?

I hope Sun TV gets a more level playing field even though I do not always agree with their over the top sensationalism. It for me, is one sided news with humour. Also some truth we would not ordinarily see reported. Sun TV or Fun TV! We need more humour in our grey world.

What's the difference in the Tories spending taxpayers dollar doing the same to other groups and what CBC is accused of doing?? Both parties should spend their own but isn't that what CBC is doing, and the Tories should spend money out of their party fund, since it more about THEM and not about the benefit to Canadians.

Lol! Just like the Libs love anything that makes them and everyone else think like they do.. Hence the CBC

Best to ignore those two drive by smears unrelated to the discussion.

CBC is supposed to report in a neutral manner, they are not the gov’t but a body supported by tax dollars and should represent all the people. IMO they should not be keeping dossiers or McCarthy style blacklists on other media outlets.

Before the election the CBC were on a campaign to stop a Harper majority using that old radical left hippy Milewski. After the election and the budge, if you thought the CBC was a biased news-twisting Official Opposition wannabe before then, there was no doubt after the election and budget.

However, I don’t want the CBC done away with it as does provide a service and some good programming, I just feel they are not in the business of trying to blacklist other news media. Maybe it should exist as a PBS type service.

The CBC has a mandate that other stations do not. Here is the mandate:

• reflect Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences, while serving the special needs of those regions,
  • contribute to shared national consciousness and identity,
  • They do a good job of achieving the mandate and majority of Canadians are in favour of the CBC continuing the way it is.

Does the CBC really do this?

[Hint, since the Internet portrays sarcasm badly: That was a rhetorical question.]

As I say, when the English CBC replaces, say, Michael Enright with someone like Mark Steyn or Kate McMillan, then I will believe that that the CBC "reflects Canada and its regions to national and regional audiences" or "contributes to shared identity".

-----

If we are to have a State broadcaster, paid by taxes, then it should reflect all viewpoints, across the broad spectrum of public opinion.

IMHO, French Radio-Canada does a far better job than English CBC - but neither truly reflect "Canada".

Edited by August1991

Here is what Canadians think of the CBC, as according to a poll by Nanos Research.

That is tantamount to asking what Canadians think of vanilla ice cream, traffic lights or school crossings.

The poll misses the point.

If Canadians were free to choose to pay for the CBC/Radio-Canada, from their pocket, every year, using Paypal for example, would they each give $30 to the CBC/Radio-Canada website voluntarily? (Family of four? $120 annually.)

-----

But here's the bigger issue: The English CBC subsidizes the French Radio-Canada.

And what is your point? Do you know who Harper supporters are or are they supportive of Conservative policies?

One need not be a member of Mensa to recognize hard core Harper supporters or those who believe Conservative policies are best for Canada.

Lol! Just like the Libs love anything that makes them and everyone else think like they do.. Hence the CBC

Actually, the Libs would just like to know what constitutes "oodles of money" or "a lot of our tax dollars". Hardly an unfair question and one that has yet to be answered.

If we are to have a State broadcaster, paid by taxes, then it should reflect all viewpoints, across the broad spectrum of public opinion.

The CBC HAS given Levant a platform: for example: http://www.cbc.ca/player/Shows/Shows/More+Shows/ideacity/ID/2246138133/?page=2

... and even today, their "books" site has description of his book and links to his website.

The problem here is that the Levant-CBC fight has turned personal. Sun has turned almost their ENTIRE mandate... into destruction of the CBC. As a result, almost their entire audience IS the CBC, defending itself.

I am not particularly fond of Lacroix, but Management, commentators, reporters, staff will all change. The institution remains and will remain.

If they want Sun to thrive, they have to take the same attitude, and build the institution.

People might be forgive for believing that what they ARE building, is just a platform for a personal vendetta.

One need not be a member of Mensa to recognize hard core Harper supporters or those who believe Conservative policies are best for Canada.

But an American like yourself with an agenda would know of course all about Canadian conservatives <rolll eyes> Nothing like getting in a few drive by smears. Guess things are pretty boring elsewhere.

Edited by scribblet

However, I don’t want the CBC done away with it as does provide a service and some good programming, I just feel they are not in the business of trying to blacklist other news media. Maybe it should exist as a PBS type service.

Even though you misled by saying "this kind of money" and later admitted you didn't even know what kind of money, can you at least explain how one media outlet is "blacklisting" another one?

Even though you misled by saying "this kind of money" and later admitted you didn't even know what kind of money, can you at least explain how one media outlet is "blacklisting" another one?

The terminology of the faux outrage crowd is amusing...

CBC has this kind of media monitoring list for other outlets as well, not just SUN news. Like I said in a previous post, CBC will monitor all other media to see when it is being mentioned in a news story and in what context.

But an American like yourself with an agenda would know of course all about Canadian conservatives <rolll eyes> Nothing like getting in a few drive by smears. Guess things are pretty boring elsewhere.

Is it really an American telling Canadians how they should run their country? That is amazing since Americans have serious issues of their own that is far from being rectified. Thanks for informing us that we have an American expert on Canadian politics amongst us.

Is it really an American telling Canadians how they should run their country? That is amazing since Americans have serious issues of their own that is far from being rectified. Thanks for informing us that we have an American expert on Canadian politics amongst us.

Because no Canadian has ever had, or ever should have, an opinion on American politics?

Please.... let's not get too silly about who should be allowed to have an opinion. Refute the content of the post, not the person posting.... assuming you have the ability to do that.

I have no agenda; further, I do not see how asking what constitutes oodles of money translates to a smear. Being on several forums with Canadians for over 7 years, I think I have a good understanding of Canadian conservatives and liberals as well.

Please tell me what part of my post you see as "telling Canadians how they should run their country"? I am curious though what constitutes "oodles of money" in the mind of a Canadian conservative, and it appears that I will never know since no answer has been forthcoming...just personal slams.

I am offering an apology to those who thought this was intended to incite. It was not my intent.

Incite? Pfft.....it is true and has been for a long time. Hell, you can interchange Harpers name with any leader and it still rings true for the uber-wing factions of any party.

Libs, Dems, COns,NDP'ers,Rep's .....all the same that way.