Academy Awards Best Picture 2013

August1991

http://voices.yahoo.com/greatest-oscar-snubs-best-picture-nominees-should-2699329.html?cat=40

Apocalypse Now

Citizen Cane

Fargo

Pulp Fiction

Just a few great films that were passed over

And to support your argument - Marty, Crash and Kramer vs Kramer won.

IMHO, despite having more movies made, the Academy is choosing weaker Best Pictures. (Yes, Crash.) People still watch It Happened One Night, The Best Years of Their Lives, Lawrence of Arabia, Midnight Cowboy and Schindler's List. In 2055, no one will watch Crash. (Admittedly, 2005 was a weak year.)

IIRC, the Americans have spent millions making other war movies without American involvement, such as Dr. Zhivago.

David Lean, a British man, made Doctor Zhivago. It was filmed in Spain and England. I suppose that some American money was involved.

-----

As Lloyd Bentsen would say, "I have seen both Argo and Doctor Zhivago. Argo is no Doctor Zhivago."

Edited by August1991

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...David Lean, a British man, made Doctor Zhivago. It was filmed in Spain and England. I suppose that some American money was involved.

-----

As Lloyd Bentsen would say, "I have seen both Argo and Doctor Zhivago. Argo is no Doctor Zhivago."

Actually, it was filmed at several locations with several production units:

Filming locations for

Doctor Zhivago (1965)»

Alberta, Canada (stock railroad footage)

Barajas, Madrid, Spain CEA, Madrid, Spain (interiors)

Canillas, Madrid, Spain (Moskva)

Durango, Mexico Granada, Andalucía, Spain Guadix, Granada, Andalucía, Spain Heinävaara, Kiihtelysvaara, Finland Helsinki, Finland Joensuu, Finland Koli, Lieksa, Finland Morley Flats, Alberta, Canada (Frozen house longshots)

Punkaharju, Finland Punkasalmi, Finland Pyhäselkä, Joensuu, Finland Pyhäselkä, Saimaa, Finland Soria, Castilla y León, Spain

• 3 weeks later...

Watched Argo the other night. It was a good movie for sure, but not a great movie IMO. The person I watched the film with agreed. We also saw Django Unchained together and agreed that was a far better film than Argo. Argo is a good film, but it doesn't really have scenes that stay with you, or anything that really grips your soul or moves you emotionally at a high level. Django did at many parts. I can't believe Argo took both the Oscar and Golden Globe for Best Picture. The Perks of Being a Wallflower was also better than Argo IMO, and that didn't get nominated for anythng despite rave reviews.

I've never been a Tarantino fanboy or anything, but IMO Inglorious Basterds also got robbed a few years ago. Hurt Locker was a really good movie, better than Argo, but Basterds was an amazing film. When Tarantino abandons the gobs of meaningless chit-chat dialogue that was in ie: Death Proof and Pulp Fiction, his movies become a lot more entertaining. Life is filled with meaningless chit-chat, why pay $12 to experience more?

I've also seen Lincoln. I still want to see Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook, and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

Argo is a good film, but it doesn't really have scenes that stay with you, or anything that really grips your soul or moves you emotionally at a high level. Django did at many parts.

I've never been a Tarantino fanboy or anything, but IMO Inglorious Basterds also got robbed a few years ago. Hurt Locker was a really good movie, better than Argo, but Basterds was an amazing film. When Tarantino abandons the gobs of meaningless chit-chat dialogue that was in ie: Death Proof and Pulp Fiction, his movies become a lot more entertaining. Life is filled with meaningless chit-chat, why pay $12 to experience more?

I've also seen Lincoln. I still want to see Life of Pi, Zero Dark Thirty, Silver Linings Playbook, and Beasts of the Southern Wild.

You didn't mention Les Miserables, which was also better than Django.

Were you really moved by Django ? I enjoyed it a lot, it was great. But it was a cartoon with no real emotional content, other than that of the comic book or thriller.

You didn't mention Les Miserables, which was also better than Django.

Were you really moved by Django ? I enjoyed it a lot, it was great. But it was a cartoon with no real emotional content, other than that of the comic book or thriller.

Never seen Les Mis, not really that interested, I get distracted by the music in musicals and i often forget to pay attention to the lyrics...then quickly lose sense of the plot haha

Django was certainly stylized in parts, but I wouldn't call it a "comic book" (i guess you're referring to stereotypical super hero comics, there's a lot of comics that are realistic). There was a lot of real emotion in Django, and many different kinds of emotions. I felt much more connection to some of Django's characters than Argo's.

I have heard of several of these movies! Zero Dark Thirty is the only one I have much interest in seeing.

There appears to be a lot of controversy over Kathryn Bigelow's omission from the Best Director category, as she's already received a truckload of other awards and nominations for this film. There is speculation that the Academy Awards snubbed her because they did not wish to be part of controversy surrounding the film's discussion of whether "enhanced interrogation" may have yielded information that helped locate Bin Laden.

I also notice that Jennifer Lawrence has another Best Actress nomination this year. I really like her in every film I have seen her in.

-k

I watched part of it the other day, it's not exactly Academy Award type material in my view.

• 1 month later...

Django Unchained is out on DVD/Blu-Ray etc. this week. Of the films nominated for the 2013 Oscars, I've seen Django, Lincoln, Life of Pi, and Argo, and Django is by far the best of the bunch. I'll probably watch Zero Dark Thirty and Silver Linings Playbook within the next month. The Perks of Being a Wallflower was about as good as Django in my opinion, should have been nominated, catch it if you get the chance.

Well, I wouldn't even call Les Misérables technically better (ie, through production and delivery) in any way either. Is it a better story? Sure. Victor Hugo is a better writer than Quentin Tarantino. Film as a distinct body of work, however, I still think Django was better.

Well, I wouldn't even call Les Misérables technically better (ie, through production and delivery) in any way either. Is it a better story? Sure. Victor Hugo is a better writer than Quentin Tarantino. Film as a distinct body of work, however, I still think Django was better.

I don't know, though. Something that carries as a smirking, self-referencing and pop-culture referencing gag-fest, that arrives at success like that. Should somebody really embrace that as a better attempt than true artistry that falls a little short of the mark ?

You underestimate Tarantino. He's quite possibly the most brilliant film director of our time.

He may well be. But if he keeps making comic books, I guess we'll never know will we ?

He has all the tools to make great films that are also meaningful and affecting, but he chooses not to. He may in fact be a proxy for all of our great cultural failings.

Ah. I see what's going on here. You're like those that believe only great musical art comes in the form of classical or jazz.

No - great art can come in many forms but somebody with his talents should take more risks.

Look at other so-called great American directors - how many of them have such a limited palette as his ?

No - great art can come in many forms but somebody with his talents should take more risks.

Look at other so-called great American directors - how many of them have such a limited palette as his ?

How many Hollywood directors are as original as Tarantino? I think he takes risks...a film about black slavery and white plantation/slave owners seems risky enough. If people want a typical by-the-letters realistic drama film there are countless directors who provide that. Tarantino's movies are stylized, fun, violent, humorous, emotional, and above all. unique.

If he wants to limit or not limit himself in "palette" that's up to him, he is an artist, and one of the modern mainstream directors that are least controlled by studio corporate suits.

How many Hollywood directors are as original as Tarantino? I think he takes risks...a film about black slavery and white plantation/slave owners seems risky enough. If people want a typical by-the-letters realistic drama film there are countless directors who provide that. Tarantino's movies are stylized, fun, violent, humorous, emotional, and above all. unique.

If he wants to limit or not limit himself in "palette" that's up to him, he is an artist, and one of the modern mainstream directors that are least controlled by studio corporate suits.

It's a risk if he makes something that doesn't allow him to smirk and say 'it's a joke'. Realistic drama films done well ? Countless directors ? I don't know. I do know that he can make great scenes if he wants to, and REAL scenes too.

It's a risk if he makes something that doesn't allow him to smirk and say 'it's a joke'. Realistic drama films done well ? Countless directors ? I don't know. I do know that he can make great scenes if he wants to, and REAL scenes too.

What's a "real" scene? A realistic scene? Does all art have to realistic to be great? Should Pablo Picasso have kept making realistic paintings/drawings and never turned to styles such as cubism and surrealism? Were a bunch of Stanley Kubrick's films like 2001: A Space Odyssey inferior because they were a bit surreal/abstract?

Why should Tarantino do what the vast majority of directors do when he can be unique and do what he particularly does very well? Because you don't happen to approve? Picasso could have churned out some amazing realistic paintings over his lifetime if he stuck with the typical realistic style, but I'm sure most are glad he didn't.

What's a "real" scene? A realistic scene? Does all art have to realistic to be great? Should Pablo Picasso have kept making realistic paintings/drawings and never turned to styles such as cubism and surrealism? Were a bunch of Stanley Kubrick's films like 2001: A Space Odyssey inferior because they were a bit surreal/abstract?

Why should Tarantino do what the vast majority of directors do when he can be unique and do what he particularly does very well? Because you don't happen to approve? Picasso could have churned out some amazing realistic paintings over his lifetime if he stuck with the typical realistic style, but I'm sure most are glad he didn't.

Good question. My complaint is mostly that QT doesn't challenge himself, and prefers to make these smirking movies over and over again.

Picasso did vary his work and challenge himself. My approval means nothing, it's just a comment.

Good question. My complaint is mostly that QT doesn't challenge himself, and prefers to make these smirking movies over and over again.

I see what you mean, but is it not Tarantino's style? It seems like criticizing Jay-Z for not putting out a country album.