Why our mindsets are so different

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to live in a country where I feel the need to own one for my own defence. That's civilization in reverse.

But you don't live in the U.S., so all is well. Were you considering a change otherwise, and if so, why ? I don't want to live in a country where its citizens keep moving to the U.S.A.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest American Woman

I don't want to live in a country where I feel the need to own one for my own defence. That's civilization in reverse.

Living in a country that charges a homeowner for using his gun to protect his home from people throwing fire bombs is so much better, right? - that's civilization heading in the right direction ....

Man faces jail after protecting home from masked attackers

....53-year-old former mobile-crane operator [ian Thomson] woke up to the sound of three masked men firebombing his Port Colborne, Ont., home.

So Mr. Thomson, a former firearms instructor, grabbed one of his Smith & Wesson revolvers from his safe, loaded it and headed outside dressed in only his underwear.

“He exited his house and fired his revolver two, maybe three times, we’re not sure. Then these firebombing culprits, they ran off,” said his lawyer, Edward Burlew.

His surveillance cameras caught the attackers lobbing at least six Molotov cocktails at his house and bombing his doghouse, singeing one of his Siberian Huskies. But when Mr. Thomson handed the video footage to Niagara Regional Police, he found himself charged with careless use of a firearm.

That's a much better mindset for a country to have......

Edited by American Woman

Guest Derek L

That's the problem, the 300+ million firearms and that is compounded by the types of firearms that are legal compared to other countries. The US is the only developed country with the capability of MAD with legal privately owned firearms. One round from each of their privately owned guns could wipe out almost their entire population. In peculiar American fashion many seem unable to connect this to a firearm related homicide rate that is far above any other developed country. It has to be anything else but.

This is why I say the run on AR-15's and high capacity magazines is a perfect example of Einstein's definition of insanity which states, insanity is doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. The answer to privately owned assault weapon massacres must be more privately owned assault weapons and guess what. The results don't change.

I've written them off when it comes to dealing with their firearms fetish. I just don't want it in my country.

By that reasoning, shouldn’t the United States have the highest homicide rate in the world?

And why, in a country with somewhere between 15-20 million AR-15 family of rifles, are said guns, per the FBI, used in less than 4% of all gun deaths?

Red herring AW. Your story has nothing to do with the topic. Nice try at the bait and switch. Start a topic on that and you would likely find many people agreeing with your premise, but it doesn't make America's terrible gun violence problem look any better.

Living in a country that charges a homeowner for using his gun to protect his home from people throwing fire bombs is so much better, right? - that's civilization heading in the right direction ....

He was acquitted. Funny how you neglected to mention that. http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/01/04/matt-gurney-after-two-years-judge-acquits-man-who-defended-himself-with-a-gun/

And you don't need to use a semi-auto rifle to hunt, as shown by all the people that do so with bolt action rifles. If you need to blast off shots that fast, you shouldn't be shooting in the first place.

That's not really true. When you're hunting something large, like a moose at great distance, it's better to have more than one shot available.

Guest Derek L

....53-year-old former mobile-crane operator [ian Thomson] woke up to the sound of three masked men firebombing his Port Colborne, Ont., home.

So Mr. Thomson, a former firearms instructor, grabbed one of his Smith & Wesson revolvers from his safe, loaded it and headed outside dressed in only his underwear.

“He exited his house and fired his revolver two, maybe three times, we’re not sure. Then these firebombing culprits, they ran off,” said his lawyer, Edward Burlew.

His surveillance cameras caught the attackers lobbing at least six Molotov cocktails at his house and bombing his doghouse, singeing one of his Siberian Huskies. But when Mr. Thomson handed the video footage to Niagara Regional Police, he found himself charged with careless use of a firearm.

The Crown regularly does that…………..Even if they don’t feel they can win said case, they’ll play it out to attempt to bankrupt the defendant due to legal fees, then drop the charges for fear of setting a precedent…………In this case in particular, they took extra caution in only charging him for unsafe storage, fore if they charged him for discharging his handgun etc etc, it would have created a legal precedent for defence with a handgun……….

Just recently he was acquitted.....

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2013/01/04/matt-gurney-after-two-years-judge-acquits-man-who-defended-himself-with-a-gun/

That's not really true. When you're hunting something large, like a moose at great distance, it's better to have more than one shot available.

I've eaten plenty of moose that was shot with a Lee Enfield 303 or 30 06 bolt action. You do have more than one shot available, just have to take a little more time to chamber another round. If you're that much in a hurry that you have to fire multiple rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, you shouldn't be hunting in the first place. Or just get an automatic weapon and really spray some lead.

Most hunters I've seen will fire more than one round at something large, in order to ensure that they make a kill. It would be a tragedy to simply wound something like an elk or moose. There is nothing wrong with semi automatic hunting rifles.

Guest Derek L

I've eaten plenty of moose that was shot with a Lee Enfield 303 or 30 06 bolt action. You do have more than one shot available, just have to take a little more time to chamber another round. If you're that much in a hurry that you have to fire multiple rounds as fast as you can pull the trigger, you shouldn't be hunting in the first place. Or just get an automatic weapon and really spray some lead.

Funny that, my SMLE (10 round mag) and my M1 Grande (30-06, 8 rounds) have both a higher legal magazine capacity then my Ruger Mini-14s and Benelli MR1 (5 rounds of .223, same as AR-15)……..And guess which guns shoot the more powerful cartridge, so powerful, that said rounds could go through say a car or police body armour……………..

But hey thanks........

Guest Derek L

Most hunters I've seen will fire more than one round at something large, in order to ensure that they make a kill. It would be a tragedy to simply wound something like an elk or moose. There is nothing wrong with semi automatic hunting rifles.

Or semi auto AR-15 hunting rifles..........

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=V2wBiG3LCx0

main-982.jpg

Except they're not needed by anybody who has some skill. And the semi-auto rifles are sure popular with the mass killers and even the gangbangers. See what I'm saying here?

Guest Derek L

Except they're not needed by anybody who has some skill. And the semi-auto rifles are sure popular with the mass killers and even the gangbangers. See what I'm saying here?

Please explain?

Guest Derek L

And where do you stand on pump action?

Guest Derek L

What is needed? Ask the Korean shop owners in L.A. during the '92 riots:

What is needed? Ask the Korean shop owners in L.A. during the '92 riots:

Had to laugh at the commentary by the anchors regarding the fellow on the roof with an Uzi………I’m sure the police and National Guard were concerned with shopkeepers guarding their stores well the city was rife with lawlessness…………

And even these guys are getting in on the act:

ph34r.png

But you don't live in the U.S., so all is well. Were you considering a change otherwise, and if so, why ? I don't want to live in a country where its citizens keep moving to the U.S.A.

All is well so far. Don't be concerned about being over run by Canadian immigrants.

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/blogs/canada-politics/americans-moving-canada-record-numbers-report-161857845.html

All is well so far. Don't be concerned about being over run by Canadian immigrants.

http://ca.news.yahoo...-161857845.html

In 2011, Ottawa approved 34,185 visas for U.S. residents — a figure that falls just short of the all-time record of 35,060 approved visas in 2010. By comparison, fewer than 20,000 Canadians moved to the U.S. over the past two years — the lowest number in nearly a decade.

Poor poor BC. Youve destroyed another one of his tired memes. Guess its time to talk about where the site is hosted again! laugh.png

I'm not, as the Canadian immigrants have to get into a long line of many others trying to get into the USA, even for student or work visas with sponsorship. There are more American immigrants from around the world than the entire population of Canada. Maybe they don't know about all those "guns"....or more likely...don't care.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

I'm not, as the Canadian immigrants have to get into a long line of many others trying to get into the USA, even for student or work visas with sponsorship. There are more American immigrants from around the world than the entire population of Canada. Maybe they don't know about all those "guns"....or more likely...don't care.

But Canadians can skip the line with a TN visa :)