Why our mindsets are so different

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think all that hulabaloo about Obama's second inauguration revealed a difference between the mindsets of Americans and the rest of the western world. I mean, he swore his oath of office on Jan 20th which is always the date of the oath of office for every president.

That is fine. Why bring all that circus on the following day? He had already been one day into his second term.

There is a simple answer which I don't think A-W or B-C got to .

January 20, at noon is the constitutionally (by amendment) decreed moment at which one Presidential term ends and the next one begins. That is true, even on a Sunday.

By tradition, when the date is a Sunday, the "official" swearing in is private and low-key and the "public" or ceremonial Inauguration, with the pomp, circumstances and ceremony is the next day. Thus, the hullabaloo the next day. Normally there is no "private" ceremony. Only when January 20 (or through 1933 March 4) falls on Sunday.

Guest American Woman
There is a simple answer which I don't think A-W or B-C got to .

As I said, I didn't understand what TSS was getting at.

Thus, the hullabaloo the next day. Normally there is no "private" ceremony. Only when January 20 (or through 1933 March 4) falls on Sunday.

It was the "hullabaloo" itself that was being criticized in the post by smallc that I was responding to.

It was the "hullabaloo" itself that was being criticized in the post by smallc that I was responding to.

I wasn't criticizing anything. Americans, are, by and large, full of themselves and their country in a way that people in other western countries just...aren't....not even those from the Kingdom of the Fifth Republic.

I wasn't criticizing anything. Americans, are, by and large, full of themselves and their country in a way that people in other western countries just...aren't....not even those from the Kingdom of the Fifth Republic.

Agreed...that's why you watch us so much while we largely ignore Canada.

Guest American Woman

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Please define "full of themselves" as you are using it, because to my knowledge, it's an insult.

Edited by American Woman

You dont largely ignore Canada, you pay more attention to it, then any Canadian I know pays to the US. In fact you devote a substancial portion of your life to it.

By George...I think he's got it !! I am doing what many of you have done for a lifetime. Isn't it odd ? Get a life...ignore the USA ! biggrin.png

Ok, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. Please define "full of themselves" as you are using it, because to my knowledge, it's an insult.

Americans are wrapped up in the mythology of their country in a way that others aren't.

Guest American Woman

Americans are wrapped up in the mythology of their country in a way that others aren't.

What "mythology?" And what does that have to do with the presidential inauguration? And do you recall Will and Kate's wedding? And that was simply a wedding - not the swearing in of a head of state.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

Are you serious?

Yes, I'm serious. I repeat. What mythologies are you referring to? A few examples would be appreciated in light of your claim. Furthermore, what does that have to do with the presidential inauguration? And do you recall Will and Kate's wedding? And that was simply a wedding - not the swearing in of a head of state.

And why did you care?

Because it continued the strange and bizarre Canadian definitionium by Americanus or not-Americanus. Are you serious.....Canadians communicate with each other by referring to American culture and institutions. WTF ?

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Guest American Woman

I don't think I should have explain this:

http://en.wikipedia....e_United_States

You made the claim. I want to know what you are referring to. So yes, you should explain it - since, again, you made the claim. A couple of examples from you. And after that, I'd like you to explain what it has to do with the inauguration, how our inaugurations make us "more full of ourselves" than anyone else, especially in light of the royal coronations (also the ceremony for your head of state), and again, the royal wedding. And who could forget Princess Di's funeral? Both wedding and funeral were broadcast around the world. Seems to me that would qualify for "full of themselves" if our inauguration does.

But this is the last time I will ask - if you cannot give examples of what you are referring to, I will assume that you were just parroting a myth about Americans. ;)

....But this is the last time I will ask - if you cannot give examples of what you are referring to, I will assume that you were just parroting a myth about Americans. wink.png

Myth or not, I have long since learned that some are not happy unless they are parroting something about 'Merkins.

Guest American Woman

Myth or not, I have long since learned that some are not happy unless they are parroting something about 'Merkins.

And you know what's a little ironic? The claim is that "Americans are full of themselves" - as they are being criticized for not being just like the rest of the western world (who engage in a bit of pomp and circumstance themselves). Who, exactly, does that make "full of themselves" - the ones doing their own thing, or those who believe Americans should be just like them?

..... Who, exactly, does that make "full of themselves" - the ones doing their own thing, or those who believe Americans should be just like them?

Even after years of observation, I am not sure why America and Americans figure so prominently in the Canadian consciousness, but this surely contributes to just such an attitude. America is "full of itself" because it also defines the critical elements of what is "not-American". Even within the country there is conflict over Toronto, or Ontario, or Quebec being "full of themselves" vs. the curious term ROC...Rest of Canada.