10 Most Fascinating People

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

Here is Barbara Walters' 2012 list.

Honey Boo Boo made the list. How about that. According to Walters:

"A lot of people will say, 'For heaven's sake, this is ridiculous, this is a child at 5 or 6 years old entering beauty contests.' But the relationship between Alana and her mother... that's the story, the two of them." She gushed, "It's very touching."

"Honey Boo Boo is not an obnoxious little girl. She's sweet and loving with her mother and loving with her sisters [Jessica, Lauryn and Anna]," Barbara continued. "And now Anna has a new baby, and the baby has [three] thumbs... but so what? It'll make you smile."

Interesting that someone like Barbara Walters considers an ordinary little girl to be more fascinating than, say, the presidential candidates. Only in America? :)

Guest American Woman
Ben Affleck???

According to Barbara Walters, "For two decades he’s been rich and famous, a movie star and so very good looking. That’s what makes him so fascinating.” She added “This is the year Ben Affleck took Hollywood by storm. Introduced, directed and starred in ‘Argo’".

http://www.entertain...eople-2012-List

Evidently Affleck has been "very much in the news," which I, personally, was unaware of. Still, I realize that he's rich, powerful by Hollywood standards, and good looking - all of the things one associates with such a list. Honey Boo Boo has none of those things going for her. She's just an ordinary little girl who, by the opportunities afforded in the U.S., ended up in such a position.

With all of the people to choose from, though, the list would vary greatly depending on who was doing the choosing - there's no doubt about that. I found it interesting, though, because it was Walter's list - not Entertainment Weekly's or some such 'entertainment' outlet. I think Barbara Walters is in a bit of a different category.

Edited by American Woman

Ben Affleck is human. From the little I've seen of Honey Boo Boo, she isn't, and neither are any of her family.

I have to say, Barbara Walters has lost it completely, if she thinks anyone on that list is worthy of more than a moment's attention.

Except maybe Ben Affleck, who has apparently made a decent movie this year.

Guest American Woman

Affleck's film made quite a stir this year - I'm surprised more here haven't heard about that.

I don't really follow such things, but from what I'm reading, his movie has made quite the stir. Have you seen it? Is there something outstanding about it?

Guest American Woman

At least she's newer and less known. But she isn't all that fascinating either. I think the term fascinating needs to be saved for truely special people.

So what's your criteria for "truly special?"

Edited to add: I do give Walters credit for not including any criminals on her list.

Edited by American Woman

I like Hillary too. But even she's not all that fascinating. Although I think she would have made a much better president than the current one.

That's what I meant when I said Walters had lost it. I mean, fascinating? Some of them are mildly interesting.

I want to see her run for POTUS too.

So ya'll are seriously more surprised by Ben Affleck than Honey Boo Boo? Interesting!

I can somewhat understand Honey Boo Boo because she had a very popular show and it's kind of a freak-fest. But Ben Affleck made a very good film this year, and it didn't exactly kill at the box office. I just don't get it. Why not, say, Christopher Nolan...he made Batman!

How about Psy? OPPAN GANGNAM STYLE!!!

I don't find many actors or celebrities to be fascinating. Ben Affleck made a good movie this year? That's excellent for him, but is it really "fascinating"? Prince Harry got drunk and made poor decisions? How unusual for a young adult. An athlete won a medal at the olympics? That's outstanding for her, but not very fascinating to me. I can't imagine what would be fascinating about "One Direction"; I don't know anything about them.

I think this list to some degree reflects that Barbara Walters makes her living in the celebrity world. She works in the same circles as the people who keep putting the Kardashian sisters on magazine covers and reports "news" about people whose only claim to fame is being famous. Our society's need to create and follow these fake celebrities is in itself perhaps a fascinating phenomenon.

I myself find Hilary the most fascinating person on this list; I was also fascinated by the presidential candidates. Governor Christie's future will be of importance to people beyond his state's borders too, and his everyman style of expressing himself makes him one of the most likeable politicians around.

The Petraeus train-wreck has been pretty fascinating, although I think whats-her-name's role in it is the more fascinating part.

The Honey Boo-Boo phenomenon raises fascinating questions about us as a society.

Perhaps "50 Shades" and Seth McFarlane's body of work are fascinating for that reason as well.

-k

I think their should be a Canadian on the list....either Justin Beiber or Carly Rae Jepsen.

Mocking I get, but neither of them are anywhere near fascinating .

Perhaps if Baba had named it musics most fascinating, or America's most fascinating , well, that would be more to the truth.

But most fascinating? Not by any metric. The world has people doing all sorts of fascinating things , medicine, political,heroic, charitable.

Apart from Hillary, who I think should be on there, the rest....one giant yawn.

But to be fair, it does not say 10 Most Fascinating People of the World , it just assumes it, in which 8 7 of them are American. Cue the roll eyes here. And with that, any country including my own, would likely do the same, and I would offer the exact same reply.

Unless they name it the Canada's Most Fascinating People

Edited by guyser

Guest American Woman
But to be fair, it does not say 10 Most Fascinating People of the World , it just assumes it, in which 8 of them are American.

Seven are American; E.L. James is British, as is Prince Harry, and One Direction is an English-Irish band.

Guest American Woman

Damn I forgot to check that after.

Thank you , it is 7.

You're welcome. As a side note, it is rather odd that everyone on the list is from either the U.S. or the U.K.; certainly the rest of the world has its share of fascinating people.

Edited by American Woman

You're welcome. As a side note, it is rather odd that everyone on the list is from either the U.S. or the U.K.; certainly the rest of the world has its share of fascinating people.

Perhaps, but maybe just not entertaining people. As somebody said, this is an entertainment-focused list, and America and the UK are by far the biggest English-language entertainment markets.

-k