Applause in order? Nearly 60k jobs created in November.

CPCFTW

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah because unemployment rate never goes down before the holiday seasons.

Sleipnir, the rate is seasonally adjusted.

-----

"The best social measure is a job". IOW, for anyone who has ever been unemployed, thousands just found a job. Like a salesman making a cold call, it feels good.

To me, the unemployment rate is not an accurate measure of the economy yet, this is remarkable news in Canada.

Flaherty and Harper deserve (part) credit.

Edited by August1991

Unemployment fell to 7.2% as well (without the labour force participation rate falling as in Obama's "recovery").

I think the CPC deserves a round of applause.

http://www.theglobea...article6078223/

This is good news. *claps*

Now to bring that down to Chinas 4% or less and we can have a party.

But I must question, if borrowed money to pay for people is employment or just lending people money.... someone has to pay for it eventually..

productivity is better than nothing though but all the debt spending does represent a bulge economically...

Its just not realistic for continuance.... I think government should be responsible that way. If people did the same it would spell out financial ruin. A bankrupt Canada isn't fair to Canadians.

Productivity that leads to sustained growth is good, short injections mean nothing - Keynesian economics has only brough debt to nations.

Is the debt really an investment, it seems to cost more and more each year?

Was it an investment for the Greeks, what about Spain and Italy?

If they are quality jobs its good news, if it is just messing around with figures only flys will enjoy it.

Edited by login

Now to bring that down to Chinas 4% or less and we can have a party.
When the Chinese State offers the same security to its citizens as people expect of the Canadian federal state, then maybe we can talk.

Timestamp, why do wealthy Chinese parents send their children to Canada for studies? Simply to learn English?

Why on earth would the government deserve applause because Canadian citizens work, buy stuff, and hire people?

Why would they deserve censure if they didn't? Because they sure as hell would get it.

Why would they deserve censure if they didn't? Because they sure as hell would get it.

Yeah lots of THAT stuff is dumb too. The economy in general is cyclical, and governments for the most part are at the mercy of it. The recession wasnt Harpers fault, and the recovery isnt his fault either.

Also... the governments answer to the recession was to cut interest rates to near historic lows and keep them there... this has resulted in record levels of both public and private debt and that virtually ensures a deep recession in the future. I dont blame Mr Harper for this either really because its basically the same thing every other government did and nobody was going to buck that trend.

Because while we are individuals, we also live in society. It is good to know that the leaders of our collective are practical and wise.

No the reality is that the people condemning governments when theres a bust, and showering them with praise when theres a boom just generally dont understand how the economy works and why booms and busts happen.

The massive credit expansion we have seen in the last few years is actually the biggest danger our economy faces. Its good short term policy but it will cause a recession down the road. Then the idiot voters will condemn whoevers in power for that.

Edited by dre

When the Chinese State offers the same security to its citizens as people expect of the Canadian federal state, then maybe we can talk.

Timestamp, why do wealthy Chinese parents send their children to Canada for studies? Simply to learn English?

I'm not sure what you are refering to, can you expand on this.

As for why Chinese parents send their children, I'm not sure they do. I'm not sure what brings them over here. Those who I have spoken to seem to incline schools good global rankings, also chinese schools are also quite full.

I'm not sure what you are refering to, can you expand on this.
Canada is a federal state. China is a centralized state.

Chinese parents wisely put their egg in a different basket, as Canadians have always done.

As for why Chinese parents send their children, I'm not sure they do. I'm not sure what brings them over here. Those who I have spoken to seem to incline schools good global rankings, also chinese schools are also quite full.
Among some people, it is often the case that a foreigner/foreign diploma is more worthy than a domestic/diploma.

Then again, sometimes a foreign signal (diploma) is better than the domestic: A BMW is simply better than a Geely.

Here's the rub: will a Geely ever be better than a BMW?

The children of ordinary Chinese parents also send their children abroad to study.

Furthermore,many North Americans,South Americans,Europeans,Australians,Africans and Asians go to China to study.

Why?

Maybe its because they want to learn.

Are you suggesting that the Chinese have nothing of value worth teaching?

If you are then you are dead wrong!

Take their economy for example,lots to learn there!

WWWTT

Not to mention the competition there!

Chinese students are so competitive and the spaces so limited,that many can not enter.

Therefore the lower entry level standards in North America are the only option in many cases for students in China.

WWWTT

Guest American Woman

Certainly "wealthy Chinese" children get a good education in China - where they start learning English from day one. I'm guessing that they send them to Canada for a western education, to broaden their education, same as westerners study abroad; but I think if they are hoping for increased opportunity for their children, they move to Canada.

While I agree that there are cyclical aspects to employment from factors such as fishing,tourism,etc. what isn't cyclical is the constant and continual blaming (present) government for anything and everything but not credit for any positive point.

So say damn the detractors and kudos where and when deserved.

60k "jobs". What kind of jobs? We don't need more service-industry, minimum wage, temp holiday worker type jobs. We need productive jobs, and the government certainly does have a hand in this. For starters they persist in keeping a minimum wage, and for another thing they refuse to get out of the way of the economy and allow it grow free of impediments.

Having a job is not enough if the net benefit overall is tiny, or worse, negative. Productive jobs are the true measure, and I'm sure the number of those created was nowhere near 60k.

60k "jobs". What kind of jobs? We don't need more service-industry, minimum wage, temp holiday worker type jobs. We need productive jobs, and the government certainly does have a hand in this. For starters they persist in keeping a minimum wage, and for another thing they refuse to get out of the way of the economy and allow it grow free of impediments.

As you say... Most are low-paying service sector jobs.

Applause? Hardly worth applause.

http://www.chroniclejournal.com/editorial/daily_editorial/2012-12-09/what-kind-new-jobs

However, all the jobs were in the services sector, led by 28,000 positions in restaurants and hotels, meaning low wages.

How many of those jobs are going to Canadians and how many are being created for foreign workers. I bet there's more foreign workers in Canadian than ever before.

Do they spend their wages into the local economy?

Having a job is not enough if the net benefit overall is tiny, or worse, negative. Productive jobs are the true measure, and I'm sure the number of those created was nowhere near 60k.

As you say... Most are low-paying service sector jobs.

Applause? Hardly worth applause.

Actually the jobs were mostly full-time private sector jobs. Those contribute far more to the economy than public sector jobs (which are actually a drain on the economy). Why not just read the release from statscan rather than some editorial from the chronicle? laugh.png

http://www.statcan.g...121207a-eng.htm

And are you really surprised that they were service-industry jobs in our economy? :lol:

Edited by CPCFTW

The article quoted in my post stated the fact that they were in the private sector....

The fact that they are low paying service industry jobs is not a mark in their favour.

Edited by The_Squid