Well someone finally did it! Someone took Muslims to a HRC

Boges

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vancouver will soon be less than 50% white. How long are you going to sing that song. You mean if an Asian person won't hire whites or blacks in Canada, that's not racism. When native people kick the shit out of a white kid, that's not racism, but the reverse is? Sounds pretty oppressive to me.

how many white families own businesses and hire kin too? People hire their own. When it's predominantly white people in positions of power in society, they have the systemic tools for oppression. When that changes, it changes. However, saying the Korean family down the road won't hire your white kid because she's white does not negate the fact that she has a better opportunity in society getting a job damn near anywhere else.

I think the man is in the right here. Certain Orthodox Jews also don't touch women. And there are other examples where personal choices of the worker must be respected. Where does it end ? Can you force people to serve you pork ?

They've forced Christians to cater to same-sex on numerous occasions. Same-sex won in most I heard of.

Edited by betsy

Look at all these rulings by HRC (link below).

See how HRC goes around Freedom of Religion - that although you win on the basis of your right to religion, you still end up getting penalized for it!

British Columbia Human Rights Tribunal Smith and Chymyshynto v. Knights of Columbus Council, Hauser and Lazar (2005)

For refusing to rent their hall to a lesbian couple for wedding purposes, the Knights of Columbus Council in Canada was brought before the BC Human Rights Tribunal for having discriminated based on sexual orientation. The Council defended itself by explaining that the hall was on the same compound as the parish church, and that it was adorned with Catholic symbols such as a crucifix and a picture of the Pope. This, they claimed, meant that they could not perform actions that went against Catholic dogma. The Tribunal acknowledged that the Council had the right to refuse to rent the hall on religious grounds, but it nevertheless ordered the Knights of Columbus to pay $2,000 for inflicting “injury to dignity, feelings and self-respect” upon the complainants.

http://humanrightsco...ex.php/examples

How many small businesses can afford to pay for "injury to dignity, feelings and self-respect?"

What about the religious' person's feelings, injury to dignity and self-respect when he is forced to deal with this by the people (like this same-sex couple), who ought to know enough to go to secular establishments?

Surely there ought to be a law to protect citizens from the maliciously frivolous? And from HRC?

Edited by betsy

If she was offered a haircut in the salon then what is the issue?

It seems to me that the business provides a service, not the employees individually. If I phone for a cab, I don't get to pick the driver.

I don't know her reason for refusing the offer....but there is a difference between taking a cab and getting a haircut. Some people want a specific hairdresser's expertise, that's why most hairdressers have their own clientele. The clientele even tends to follow the hairdresser when she/he move to another location. The hairdresser with a clientele is a good asset to a salon, and the popular ones are sought after.

My Italian barber didn't cut women's hair.... is he a misogynist because of it? As much as I don't like religious dogma, this isn't a legitimate case.

What's the reason why he doesn't cut women's hair? Is it because he doesn't want to...or he doesn't have the experience and elaborate know-how in cutting a women's hair?

You think if a woman comes in and wants her hair to get cut exactly as he would cut a man's hair, he'll refuse?

If you cut and wreck someone's hair, you could get sued.

Edited by betsy

How many small businesses can afford to pay for "injury to dignity, feelings and self-respect?"

If they didn't discriminate, they wouldn't be forced to pay a fine.

What's the reason why he doesn't cut women's hair? Is it because he doesn't want to...or he doesn't have the experience and elaborate know-how in cutting a women's hair?

I'm pretty sure women hair isn't all that different from their male counterparts.

I don't know her reason for refusing the offer....but there is a difference between taking a cab and getting a haircut. Some people want a specific hairdresser's expertise, that's why most hairdressers have their own clientele. The clientele even tends to follow the hairdresser when she/he move to another location. The hairdresser with a clientele is a good asset to a salon, and the popular ones are sought after.

Yeah, that was my fault for not reading the article. Another poster had said that, so I replied with that post. When I read the article I saw that the offer of a haircut came months later after legal action had been started.

That said, your point about a hairdresser's clientele wouldn't apply here, as it was her first time at that salon? I think. Not sure why she would be refused if they'd done her before.

You think if a woman comes in and wants her hair to get cut exactly as he would cut a man's hair, he'll refuse?

If you cut and wreck someone's hair, you could get sued.

Well, she asked for a man's cut. His skill was not the issue.

I'm not really leaning one way or another here. I just like to see the HRC in a bind.