Ontario Teachers Tighten the Screws

This just in from the OSSTF:

Strike action for bargaining units in a legal strike position will commence on November 7, 2012. Your Bargaining Unit President will inform you when strike action in your specific bargaining unit will begin.

The following list of sanctions applies to all Teacher and Occasional Teacher Bargaining Unit members.

Occasional teacher members:

•will follow this list of sanctions whether employed on a daily basis, or in an LTO.

Daily occasional teachers:

•will follow the timetable of the teacher who they are replacing

•will not undertake any additional duties including on call/supervision/additional period of teaching unless their current Collective Agreement provides pay for the additional assignment.

Adult day school teachers working in continuing education credit programs will follow this list of strike rules.

Adult day school teachers:

•will only attend at staff, department or professional development meetings/events if their current collective agreement provides they be paid to do so.

Teachers and occasional teachers in a legal strike position WILL NOT:

Meetings

•attend staff meetings

•organize/attend department meetings

•attend Dept. Head Meetings (Dept Heads)

•attend central (board) committee meetings/councils

•conduct co-op visits outside of regular school day hours

Professional development

•attend any Professional Development (PD time offered during school hours will be self-directed PD only)

•create professional development seminars or present at professional development seminars unless it is a part of the teachers’ duties in their role as a coordinator

•attend Professional Learning Communities (PLCs)

•complete Annual Learning Plans

Ministry initiatives

•participate in Framework visits

•participate in any aspect of School Improvement Plans

•complete Ministry reports

•participate in any activities associated with EQAO/OSSLT including administration of the tests

Administrative assistance

•assist with maintenance of school/work-related websites

•distribute Board materials/communications to students On-call coverage/supervision

•'provide coverage for absent administrators • provide on call coverage for absent colleagues

•accept any assignment to supervision in addition to regular classroom duties or in addition to the ongoing, unassigned supervision of student behaviour in hallways, etc., that is performed as a part of a teachers’ professional responsibility

•accept acting VP assignments

Communication

•attend Open House/Information Sessions outside of regular school day

•answer parental e-mails outside of the regular school day

•participate in parent interviews outside of the regular school day

•provide progress reports (written reports beyond those provided at mid-term and end of term)

To be determined by local bargaining units:

Administrative assistance

•will not submit student attendance

•will not assist with administrative tasks during homeroom

•will not distribute course selection materials/option sheets

•will not participate in curriculum/course writing

•will not collect textbooks at the end of the semester/school year

•will not participate in end-of-year school closing activities

Communication

•will not upload marks or comments to Trillium

Other

Members will continue to:

•provide instruction to students

•engage in course preparation and marking

Members may continue to:

•act as an associate teacher/accept teacher candidates

•provide extra help to students

This latest job action should really make the Ontario teachers popular with the parents, students and the rest of Ontarians.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Teachers are not the smartest bunch in the crowd.... To solve any and all future problems with strikes and protest, Simply move the contract expiration date to land June 15th... The week before thier precious summer break! Lets inconvenince these "pirates of education" for once!

Teachers are not the smartest bunch in the crowd....

Um......er..

To solve any and all future problems with strikes and protest, Simply move the contract expiration date to land June 15th... The week before thier precious summer break! Lets inconvenince these "pirates of education" for once!

Wouldnt do a damn thing strategy wise. Theyre getting paid now arent they? They would be paid all summer too,

Maybe commenting on smarts wasnt such a good idea huh?laugh.png

It's part of their contract.. It's part of their duties. It's in the CONTRACT! It's in the job description! They signed up for it!

And guyser.. You had no point there... Seems the whit is in the other court. Name calling and insinuation a monkey can do. Or a teacher

It's part of their contract.. It's part of their duties. It's in the CONTRACT! It's in the job description! They signed up for it!

And guyser.. You had no point there... Seems the whit is in the other court. Name calling and insinuation a monkey can do. Or a teacher

Calling parents outside of school time is not in the contract.

Meeting parents outside of school time is not in the contract.

You don't expect your doctor to call you after work hours. Just saying.

Calling parents outside of school time is not in the contract.

Meeting parents outside of school time is not in the contract.

That's precisely why we have this conflict, MCC! Not all that long ago teachers were thought of as professionals. It was thought to be a salary job. Nobody gave a thought to teachers having summer holidays. No one cared that some days were less than 8 hours. Parents saw teachers having evening meetings. There was a time when high schools held dances in the evenings. My school made a fortune from featuring bands like Rush before they made it big! There was no problem finding teachers to be chaperones. Or football coaches, for that matter.

Salary means flexibility and give and take with hours worked. We rarely heard any criticism of a teacher's job at all, in that respect.

Nobody expected that everything had to be spelled out in a union labour contract. Teachers negotiated through what was known as the Ontario Teachers' Association, not a version of the UAW.

Somehow over the past decade or two that has all changed. Teachers appear to have become militant union members, no different than posties or auto workers.

It is a dramatic shift! A lot of parents have not yet woken up to the change. We tend to think schools are the same as when we attended and it takes a while for changes to correct our memories.

So the big question is, when enough parents have woken up and become aware of the change, how will they feel about it? How will they react?

It's beginning to look like support for teachers drops more and more as the public sees what's going on.

Maybe I'm wrong. Maybe the vast majority of parents in Ontario LOVE militant labour unions! Maybe they will cheerfully accept what's happening to their kids and blame it all on the government, those capitalist lackeys of the bourgoisie!

Although since the government is also elected by those same parents, I would think it not likely. If or until Ontario has an old style union focused NDP government with a strong majority of the popular vote.

Perhaps not even then, considering that there is a big difference between Ford going on strike and your child's teachers. You can always wait to buy a new Ford, or look at a Chevrolet instead. If your child loses a year or even receives poor education from work to rule actions parents feel it much more directly.

I think the teachers may not realize the negative consequences of their actions. It is VERY possible that the time may come when pushing back against teachers might be a positive thing for a politician in Ontario.

Edited by Wild Bill

Somehow over the past decade or two that has all changed. Teachers appear to have become militant union members, no different than posties or auto workers.

Can you think back... say to around 1995... and imagine a reason why this may have happened ?

So the big question is, when enough parents have woken up and become aware of the change, how will they feel about it? How will they react?

If they weren't awakened by the strikes in the 1990s then they will sleep through this too.

I think the teachers may not realize the negative consequences of their actions. It is VERY possible that the time may come when pushing back against teachers might be a positive thing for a politician in Ontario.

Did you live in this province in the 90s ?

Michael, I have lived in this province since 1960. My oldest was in elementary school in 1995. I remember!

I wondered how long before someone wanted to blame it all on Mike Harris.

The changes I wrote about were well entrenched by the late 80's, if not sooner.

As for people sleeping, once again people aren't going to change their vote over one issue but that doesn't mean they didn't carry some resentment. If the resentment keeps being fed then it could well indeed become an election issue.

If parents are mad at teachers at the same time McGuinty and Hudak were running for election, what might happen if McGuinty had have pulled a "Reagan firing the airport controllers" move? This could likely be done, since there are a LOT of new teachers needing jobs!

I'm not saying the situation is that bad right now, but what if it escalates and continues? I'm just pointing out that there could be a day when a politician might think such action would help his electoral cause more than hurt it.

I know myself I don't like the way teachers have been negotiating and the union way they seem to see their jobs. I know I am perhaps a bit off the wall but am I likely the ONLY parent who feels this way?

Michael, I have lived in this province since 1960. My oldest was in elementary school in 1995. I remember!

I wondered how long before someone wanted to blame it all on Mike Harris.

I don't know that I would use the word "blame" ... but there was a fight to which you made no reference. "Somehow it all changed" and so on...

If parents are mad at teachers at the same time McGuinty and Hudak were running for election, what might happen if McGuinty had have pulled a "Reagan firing the airport controllers" move? This could likely be done, since there are a LOT of new teachers needing jobs!

That option isn't realistic, IMO. The fight involved would be huge, and with the legalities it would take years to resolve.

I know myself I don't like the way teachers have been negotiating and the union way they seem to see their jobs. I know I am perhaps a bit off the wall but am I likely the ONLY parent who feels this way?

How the teachers have been negotiating ? How about how the government passed a law that took away their rights and included a provision that it could be appealed ? Ham fisted, to say the least.

I don't know that I would use the word "blame" ... but there was a fight to which you made no reference. "Somehow it all changed" and so on...

That option isn't realistic, IMO. The fight involved would be huge, and with the legalities it would take years to resolve.

How the teachers have been negotiating ? How about how the government passed a law that took away their rights and included a provision that it could be appealed ? Ham fisted, to say the least.

I don't know about the legalities. What legalities did Reagan face? Does the Premier of a province have the power?

What if he simply did it? The teachers would of course go to the courts but that could take months. In the meantime, they would be replaced. It's much harder to fight after the fact. Even if the teachers eventually won they would have paid a huge cost in lost wages. A premier would not lose at all if what he did was popular with the voters.

As far as how teachers negotiate, just because the government was unfair does not make teachers automatically saints. In my view, BOTH teachers and McGuinty's government have serious faults!

I stand by position as to how teachers are acting more like a militant UAW union than professionals. I don't see how they can possibly be both. They are no longer what they were and should never pretend to claim they are. Actions speak louder than words.

Edited by Wild Bill

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/1278392--ontario-high-school-teachers-to-up-the-heat-in-row-with-province

And now they are refusing to conduct testing... They should be ashamed of themselves.

Fire them all and hire new ones.. Put the year on hold... Just get rid of these low down hostage takers..

Does the Premier of a province have the power?

To ban a union ? I don't think so.

What if he simply did it? The teachers would of course go to the courts but that could take months. In the meantime, they would be replaced. It's much harder to fight after the fact. Even if the teachers eventually won they would have paid a huge cost in lost wages. A premier would not lose at all if what he did was popular with the voters.

What if he banned the right to free speech or to protest ? Oh wait - he actually did the latter... never mind.

Yes, you're right it would take a long time to fight it but he would KNOW that it was a useless fight, and therefore that whatever benefits he would gain would be lost in the medium term. Moreover, you would have wildcat strikes, and political fighting worse than under Harris - with an attendant political cost. This wouldn't happen just with teachers, or with union members either.

You're talking about an effort to ban unions altogether - which would be a giant political fight. Also, the courts would probably strike it down so it wouldn't be worth it, strategically. If you want to look at strategies for fighting labour in Ontario, Mike Harris was as hardball as it gets and he also made the most headway IMO.

I stand by position as to how teachers are acting more like a militant UAW union than professionals. I don't see how they can possibly be both. They are no longer what they were and should never pretend to claim they are. Actions speak louder than words.

The genie is out of the bottle, though and the Liberals have played their cards very badly, unless they were planning to get out of government already when they passed this legislation.

I don't know about the legalities. What legalities did Reagan face? Does the Premier of a province have the power?

As far as how teachers negotiate, just because the government was unfair does not make teachers automatically saints. In my view, BOTH teachers and McGuinty's government have serious faults!

Unionization and collective bargaining are Charter rights.

You're talking about an effort to ban unions altogether - which would be a giant political fight. Also, the courts would probably strike it down so it wouldn't be worth it, strategically. If you want to look at strategies for fighting labour in Ontario, Mike Harris was as hardball as it gets and he also made the most headway IMO.

Actually, I'm NOT talking about banning unions. I'm talking about firing every teacher that is playing this work to rule game!

Mass firings may be legal. The severance costs might be enormous, considering how the median age of teachers is getting up there. Still, a government like McGuinty's wouldn't care. If they would squander over $240 million dollars just to try to keep a seat for themselves over a power station that proves that there are politicians that might not care about the finances if it could win them an election.

Perhaps a government could claim cause for firing. That would eliminate any settlement lawsuits and reduce the payout to the minimum set by the Labour Act. I know from personal experience that isn't really very much.

Even worse for teachers, while private sector salaried or professional workers may launch a lawsuit and get FAR more than the minimum a union worker cannot! If they are represented by their union they can't launch such a private lawsuit and must rely on the bargaining power of their union. That may or may not be a tidy sum but with both a union and a government involved the teachers would be a lot older before things were resolved.

So I wouldn't be so sure, Michael. I would agree it would be a mess but if public sentiment intensifies against teachers to the point where it could make the difference in getting a party into power I wouldn't count out anything.

Meanwhile, the teachers' union seems to totally not care about the level of public support. That arrogance may eventually cost them.

I think I will try to google if home schooling has been growing any faster these past few years.

What would be the grounds for dismissal ? They are working according to the rules.

A fact many miss.

I have not seen fair headlines from the MSM. "TEACHERS REFUSE TO TALK TO PARENTS...... (hidden in article: "outside of regular day". no mention that teachers will still actually be talking to parents and sending emails/making calls.)

What would be the grounds for dismissal ? They are working according to the rules.

We are talking about corrupt politicians, Michael. What grounds did McGuinty have to do what he did so far?

We're talking politics here. He would simply claim their work to rule is a violation of the contract. Even if he loses in court, what would he care if it kept him in power?

The law is perverted all the time. It sometimes doesn't matter if you are right or wrong. You can win with better lawyers. Or lose in court but win at your actual goal of delay. Or be absolutely in the wrong but win because your opponent is too poor to afford as good a lawyer as you have!

That's unfortunately how the real world often works.